main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tucson May 6th Metabolic Community Festival!

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by dialswiftjustice, Feb 14, 2006.

1. dialswiftjustice

dialswiftjustice Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    Hey everyone, we have confirmed our reservation for Reid park for our annual non-profit festival for the Arizona PKU and Allied Disorders Network! This is the non-profit Michele and I started, and we mentioned at the meetin. If anyone would attend to have fun and entertain the kids (but no marching!) it would be so greatly appreciated. This event also coincides with tbe national PKU Awareness Month. Here are the details:

May 6th at Reid Park Ramada 1 (map to follow)
    8am-11am
    activities include:
    pictures with Star Wars characters
    Saber Raffle (if still graciously dontated by Nightwalker sabers)
    Various activies and games (bean bag toss, water fun etc)
    metabolic food samples etc..

We have decided to theme all our yearly parties int he park, and this year is Star Wars!

Please consider coming guys, this is fast becoming THE yearly event for children with metabolic disorders and their families tog te together, have fun, and network.

Sincerely Dustin and Michele

2. thatsMISTERwookiee

thatsMISTERwookiee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2005
    Barring an act of God, the Wookiee will attend.

3. Mugen

Mugen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 7, 2005
    what DAY does that fall on..and are we able to enter that raffle?

I should be able to make it...with my friend: Bly.

4. thatsMISTERwookiee

Nov 12, 2005
    Frankie, it's the first Saturday in May. (I got me a desk calender)

5. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    Awesome! Thanks guys, Frank would your friend be willing to be Vader? We'll probably need one since Ill be so busy with the planning and set up.

Wade, you mentioned at the meeting of possibly donating a saber to raffle. Is this still possible? Please let me know becase we need to get our flyer for the event int eh national metabolic newsletter quickly. If so we'd make it a centerpice of the flyer. We just sent the idea to one of the national PKU administrators and he already asked how much a ticket would be! Please let me know (if I have a choice I love the Wraith!) Also would you guys have a display we could set up next to the saber?

6. hal9k1

hal9k1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2003
    Like Wook said Baring an act of god or death in the family I will attend.

7. Mugen

May 7, 2005
    You can ask him at the meeting...or we can have Rhianon's b/f be Vader..he said he would if we needed him

8. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003
    Can I be Vader? I can be Vader with no legs while they are in the shop getting upgrades? The stubby Vader, overpriced figure soming soon. :rolleyes:
    Or just Bobble-head Vader

9. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    Now that you mention that Hal, I had a thought, what do you guys think of a "Be Vader" or "Be a Stormtrooper" type set up where for a 2-5$ donation we suit someone up for some pics?

10. thatsMISTERwookiee

Nov 12, 2005
    If you can arrange the outfit(s) so that they can "be in, have photo, be out" in about a five-to-ten minute turnover ratio, it could work. If the turnover time takes too long, people will get bored. The idea bears looking into... we can discuss it at the March meeting.

11. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003
    Not a bad idea at all, worth looking into to. just ahve to get the details straight. More brainstorming needed but U R on the right track, good idea.

12. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    I was just looking at the stormrooper armor and thinking we coul dget one universal adult size body suit with velcro closure inthe back, and have no armor int he back, no back pice, but plate, no back leg or arm pieces and have the front pieces already velcroed on, so we just slip the suit on someone and take pics from the front for speed

13. thatsMISTERwookiee

Nov 12, 2005
    I've still got my old Chewie outfit (sans feet) from twenty years ago. It's "scruffy-looking", but you could use it.

14. MasterJediDragonSir

MasterJediDragonSir Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Well it all sounds good to me...I can't see a reason why Cat and I wouldn't make it...I'd have to change clothes right after I got home from work that morning but we'll be there

15. Boga-the-Magnificent

Boga-the-Magnificent Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2005
    Just upping this.

16. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    First I would like to thank everyone fromt he bottom of my heart for their willingness to participate, but we just found out the city reqires event insurance tot he tune of 1000 or more if we are inviviting the general public. Since we definetly can not do this this year, we are limiting the invitess to fmailies with , or with simliar, disorders. As such, the attendees will not be enough to warrant a full TFF call out. So thank you guys, but we are just going to have anon themed party, but please consider us next year when we have a full year to findraise for the insurance!

Thanks anyways

Dustin and Family

17. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003
    Sorry to hear about the insurance issues, ya know we R here for ya when U need something, just yelp.

18. thatsMISTERwookiee

Nov 12, 2005
    That sucks like a black hole in the center of a galaxy.

19. firstsonofsolo

firstsonofsolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 2, 2006
    Would it be possible to move it to another location? Perhaps something along the lines of a club house type? possibly even a swimming pool...........oh say in the area of caampbell and roger for mere $50 deposit? It can house something like 100 people........

20. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    yes.. what FSOS said?

21. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    Thanks for the suggestion FSOS, but..

we're back on baby! [face_dancing] I spoke to the city manager and two independant insurance companies, and since the flyers went out to ONLY the families effected by/with metabolic disorders, they are considered meembers of our Arizona PKU and Allied Disorders Network and DOES NOT fall under the requirements for events solicited tot he general publc. In other words, its just a big club meeting!

So if you wonderful people could still make it it would be greatly appreciated! Also, we need a VAder and I can't be him! If we have any volunteers willing to try on the suit, please let me know!

Dustin

22. Mugen

May 7, 2005
    If we dont have a Vader by then, I can be him...(ewwww, all the dry sweat) but I'd much rather be Bly.

23. Boga-the-Magnificent

Boga-the-Magnificent Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2005
    OK, I'm glad it is back on. I hadn't caught up with the other news yet.

24. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003
    OK, We're back on, great!

25. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    very nice. Bravo to being back on in May!