main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

May Be coming to Scotland

Discussion in 'Archive: Scotland' started by Shara, Jun 8, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PadawanSDM

PadawanSDM Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 27, 2000
    Ahhh the Krankies...SDM runs screaming from the building

2. MOTs_Minx

MOTs_Minx Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 26, 2000
    Well this will make your day SDM; I heard a woman saying it to her kid last weekend down here in MK!!!

I nearly died. Asked Jon if he'd heard it too - which he did.

3. PadawanSDM

Sep 27, 2000
    Scary!

Thankfully they are not considered to be the cream of Scottish humour!

So living in MK isn't as bad as it's been made out to be (not by me I hasten to add)?

4. Shara

Shara Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    You guys make me laugh. Well I'm looking into coming more and more. I haven't heard anything from the university I've applied to, so if I don't get accepted into the graduate program, I guess I'll be coming to Scotland. Do the trains run through most of the larger cities?

5. MOTs_Minx

Oct 26, 2000
    Yeah they do.

Why dont you come to Uni here?

We have the best Universities in the world, and dont let anyone tell you otherwise!

6. PadawanSDM

Sep 27, 2000
    Sorry, trains?

You could go to St Andrews and rub shoulders with Prince William.

7. Calamity Jinn

Calamity Jinn Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2000

Edinburgh? No life?

You're obviously going to the wrong places! :)

And as someone who drives around Edinburgh every day, I've never had any major problems parking.

8. MOTs_Minx

Oct 26, 2000
    You know we're only taking the p!ss, Calam. Everywhere in Scotland is excellent. Well...maybe everywhere except Parkhead. LOL

IT WAS A JOKE!!!

Sheeshhhh

;)

9. PadawanSDM

Sep 27, 2000
    Actually I said no atmosphere and as for life, there could be but not as we know it...sorry, wrong forum!

10. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    (I keep reminding myself that I don't know if I'm coming yet)
    Well I'm going to fly in. To which airport i have no clue. Glasgow I think is the cheapest. People here would probably think I'm weird by not even going to England while I'm there, but you know there isn't a whole lot I'd like to see. But regardless, I will go to Glasgow, I will go to Edinburgh, and maybe St. Andrews. But I've got to remember to take some time out for Mull and Ireland. Think I could pull all that off in a week?

Of course I keep forgetting that the land mass is so small and compact over there compared to here. I'm sure I could find the time ;p

11. PadawanSDM

Sep 27, 2000
    Small and compact eh?

Us Scots believe in quality, not quantity!

You could do that trip in a week but it would be a tight schedule.

12. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    Well I've been looking at flights etc., and I could save about $200 if I fly to London. So I'm wondering is there a train station close to Heatrow? If not, how far? I'm sure I can take a cab. Wow I've never done this on my own before. It's complicated.

Here's the deal: I either fly from Indianapolis to Chicago or Indianapolis to St. Louis; there's an airline that runs through this area that is really cheap, usually, to fly to either of those cities. From Chicago to Heathrow, it's like $700. Now if I flew from Indianapolis to Edinburgh or Glasgow, I'd have to stop off in London anyway. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. And it ranges between $1100 and $1300 to do that.

And I think I will be over there more than a week it looks like.

13. MOTs_Minx

Oct 26, 2000
    You could possibly get a connecting flight from Heathrow or get a train to Luton and get a flight to Glasgow or Edinburgh there.

www.easyjet.com fly from Luton to both cities.

14. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    Well...got some good news and bad news.

Good news is most likely I'll be going to grad school in the fall.

Bad news is that means I won't be coming to Scotland unless I go in August. So we'll see.

15. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    Can you take a ferry to Londonderry?

16. MOTs_Minx

Oct 26, 2000
    Dont know. Never been.

You can take ferries from Stranraer to Larne I think.

17. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    Like I know where any of those places are.

18. Hama

Hama Retired GSA, Retired RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2000
    If you go to Mull, tell my distant cousins I said "Hi." (the MacKinnon clan)

19. MOTs_Minx

Oct 26, 2000
    Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I'm from the MacKinnon clan!!!!!! Kinda. My Mum's maiden name is MacKinnon.

I have a friend who's name is Allan MacKinnon who's family lives on the Islands. I think its Uist though.

Hey...yousa might be related.

WE might be related.

Oh lordy...this is too darn much...

I must go have a cup of tea ;)

20. Shara

Dec 4, 2000
    Luckily for me I doubt I'd run into that problem because my McCormick family hasn't been in Scotland since I think the 1500's or 1600's. It would be so far back related....

Anyways, it's official, I am not coming to Scotland. At least not yet. I might wait until Spring Break, or as my boyfriend mentioned "Save your money for your honeymoon" And then I told him that I would have to be engaged first to even think about that. I like to give him a hard time about that. We've been together for 3.5 years and going strong :)

Thanks for all your help, though. Now when I do go (it is a when, mind you), I will know exactly where I want to go. Mostly the reason why I can't go is because I may have to pay all my tuition up front and that would take evry bit of savings I have at the moment. One of these days I will get there I swear.

On a side not, I wish I had money. I heard there are some islands for sale and I think it would be so nice to have your own personal island. And they're right to the west of Mull as well.

This doesn't mean I'm leaving you guys. I'll still be around here, and if any of you are coming to the US, let me know.

21. MOTs_Minx

Oct 26, 2000
    LOL Shara. Maybe its just as well you arent coming since you think that Scotland is part of England. That definitely wont go down well here. LOL

But apart from that, its a pity, cuz Scotland is excellent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.