main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mass May Meet

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by DarthIshyZ, Jan 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    Christa and I will be hosting the May meeting on May 5th. Spouses and children are encouraged to attend. And don't forget to wear your best big hat.
    [image=http://www.empiretickets.com/images/inside_logos/hatparade1.jpg]

The Kentucky Derby, in case you yankees don't know, is a horserace of three year olds. Post time (when horses are due at the gate) is at 6:00. There's lots of pre-event stuff going on, so we might want to get together at 3:00 or so. And don't be surprised when I stand up and put my hand over my heart to sing "My Old Kentucky Home."

I'll have a "simple syrup" for Mint Juleps and Jim Beam. We'll also provide some non-alcoholic options, such as sodas.

I would not mind lots of people there, so if someone wants to invite the Boston people, I'm all for it.

If someone can organize the betting, I'd appreciate it. I've never been able to do that type of thing.

2. Mohawk-Elvis

Mohawk-Elvis Jedi Master star 1

Jan 28, 2007
    Sounds good to me. :)

That is early enough before Celebration IV not to conflict with travel and being prepared for the trip.

As for the hat I will see what I have. :p

Look forward to the nice weather in May too.

Just let us know what you need us to bring for the meet when the time comes.

3. chewykingwookie

chewykingwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    I will be there Drew you can count on that. Never really watched a KY Derby before so this will be a first for me. The only time I have watched a horse race was when I was in Chicago a few yrs back visiting a bud of mine and he was into betting on horses. We went to one of the local betting stations (I have no idea what they are called not at a track but a building of its own) and he places numerous bets on different races. The way he explained things made it interesting but I didn't want to bet on the ponies though so I passed.

Anyway, let us know the time and location when it gets closer so we can do it up right.

Jorge

4. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    Just bringing this back up since it's not far out.

I also realized recently that our back yard is large enough for a small Ultimate game. I've got a regulation frisbee. Alternatively, people can decide on a game to play, but may have to fill us in on the rules.

We're going to get a grill and will have hamburger patties and hot dogs. BYO if you want to put something different on the grill.

Can I ask for preliminary RSVP?

5. Mohawk-Elvis

Jan 28, 2007
    I will be there, count me in. :)

6. DarthIC2

DarthIC2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 23, 2006
    I'm in but not sure about Nicole and Maddie.

7. chewykingwookie

Jul 24, 2005
    I know I will be there sounds like fun.

8. DarthWormie

DarthWormie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2004
    Are younglings welcome? If so, you can count me in.

9. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    Absolutely not! My youngling is the ONLY one that's welcome. :p Just kidding... kids of all ages are welcome!

Oh, and if someone has a b-ball, we have a hoop. I just haven't had time to pick up a ball, yet.

10. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    I can bring a ball. Just make sure one of you chuckleheads reminds me.;)

11. mattdamick_is_back

mattdamick_is_back Jedi Youngling

Apr 22, 2007
    I would love to attend if someone will let me know where it is.

12. chewykingwookie

Jul 24, 2005
    Matt send Drew aka Darthishyz a pm for directions it is at his house in Worcester.

13. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    I already forwarded directions to him, but if anyone else needs the address or directions, please let me know.

14. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    Me please!:D

15. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    Do we want to do (informal) betting for the Derby? So far the contenders are as follows:
    Horse Trainer Jockey
    Any Given Saturday Todd Pletcher Garrett Gomez
    Bwana Bull Jerry Hollendorfer Javier Castellano
    Circular Quay Todd Pletcher John Velazquez
    Cobalt Blue Doug O'Neill Victor Espinoza
    Cowtown Cat Todd Pletcher Fernando Jara
    Curlin Steve Asmussen Robby Albarado
    Dominican Darrin Miller Rafael Bejarano
    Great Hunter Doug O'Neill Corey Nakatani
    Hard Spun J. Larry Jones Mario Pino
    Liquidity Doug O'Neill David Flores
    Nobiz Like Shobiz Barclay Tagg Cornelio Velasquez
    Sam P. Todd Pletcher Ramon Dominguez
    Scat Daddy Todd Pletcher Edgar Prado
    Sedgefield Darrin Miller Julien Leparoux
    Slew's Tizzy Greg Fox TBA
    Storm In May William Kaplan Juan Leyva
    Stormello William Currin Kent Desormeaux
    Street Sense Carl Nafzger Calvin Borel
    Teuflesberg Jamie Sanders Stewart Elliott
    Tiago John Shirreffs Mike Smith
    Xchanger Mark Shuman TBA
    Zanjero Steven Asmussen Shaun Bridgmohan
    I don't know how to handle it, personally, but if someone wants to take it on, go for it!

16. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    I've been to some derby parties in the past and liked how they handled the 'wagering'. They would put the names of all the horses into a hat and each person in attendance would pull a name. whoever pulled the winning horses name would win a bottle of wine from the host. What we could do is have everyone put in a 'credit' or two and whoever pulls the winning horse wins.

I've also seen this done during wrestling PPVs when there have been battle royals.:D

17. WifeofVader

WifeofVader Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2005
    I know that I won't be there but, No Biz Like Show Biz is looking very good. He's been doing very well at preliminary races the last month or so and ran well last year as well.

Same thing with Any Given Saturday.

Heck! If you want... throw my name in the hat (on NBLSB)! :p

Can't wait to hear how the meet goes....

18. Wildstar02301

Wildstar02301 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    Street Sense would still have to be the favorite, though, as he set a track record for a mile-and-an-eighth at Tampa Bay Downs in the Tampa Bay Derby. He is also what they call a "double qualifier", qualifying on dosage (an analysis of a racehorse's pedigree) and being within 10 pounds of the high weight in the Experimental Free Handicap (Street Sense, being the 2 year old male champion of last year, was the high weight).

19. PinkYaddle

PinkYaddle Jedi Youngling

Feb 17, 2005
    Hi everyone!

Things are coming together well for the May meeting! I'm trying to do an inventory of what's going to be on hand for the party so all tastes are accounted for. So far we're providing hamburgers, hotdogs, buns, sodas, mint syrup and bourbon for the juleps (and a lucky 3 people get to sip theirs from a real sterling julep cup).

Is anyone up to bring side-items, like chips, potato salad, veggie tray, etc? Anything will be greatly appreciated.

BTW, if the sky is clear that night and you are up to sticking around a little while, we could bring out the telescope and zoom in on Saturn. Saturn is very prominent low in the western sky in the early evenings and when we get him dead-on in the 'scope, you can even see some of the moons! [face_alien_1]

[Edit: There is an awesome comic-book shop here in Worcester and May 5th just happens to be FREE COMIC BOOK DAY. Just so you know. The shop has nearly everything SW you can think of: comics, books, figurines, etc. When we were there with our 2-year-old a month ago they were very tolerant of toddlers as well. ]

I'm really looking forward to meeting everyone!

Christa

20. chewykingwookie

Jul 24, 2005
    I can bring some chips (potatoe and tortilla w/salsa). I usually bring wings to meets but we are kinda busy on Sat. We are taking Spencer to have his 1st photos done. Granted we have taken numerous pics of him but none have been professional. The lady that took pics of our wedding will be doing these so hopefully they will turn out good.

With all that being said I will probably be late for the start of the meet and will be bringing the cub with me. Stacy is going to a baby shower for her best friend's son's kid after the pictures. So she will come after I get there if she makes it out at all.

jorge

21. mattdamick_is_back

mattdamick_is_back Jedi Youngling

Apr 22, 2007
    I will bring potato salad and macaroni salad with me.

22. Mohawk-Elvis

Jan 28, 2007
    How about some sausages?

And I will need directions to the meet also please. :)

23. DeathProof

DeathProof Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 8, 2007
    What time does the meet start?

24. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    Post time is set for 6:04 PM. It will be over by 6:07. There's a LOT of pre-race build up, too. I think that starts at about 2:00 or 3:00.

I suppose that means that the absolute latest you should arrive would be 6, but I'm prepared to start welcoming people at 3 or thereabouts. We can hang out on the back porch or get up a game or two. We're southern folks, so we're relaxed about it. I'm thinking about firing up the grill about 4:30.

Sausage is great! We'll throw them on the grill with the burgers and dogs.

I'll PM anyone who needs directions. Please let me know.

25. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    I still plan on attending, but the entire family has been sick as dogs all week and the last thing I want to do is give everyone the 'bug'. So I guess I'll be playing it by ear come Saturday. If everyone in the house is well, I'll be there and bring some eats as well. If not, hope you all have a grand old time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.