main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Fran, CA May Meeting

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Tatooinepadme, Apr 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tatooinepadme

Tatooinepadme Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    Since its a little late to have an april meeting, I figured I would post about a May meeting so that everyone has plenty of notice. I will be out of town from May 7-19 so the dates I can do would be May 22-23 or May 29-30. It was requested that the next meeting be in SF which is fine with me. I know it is also requested that the meetings be attached to an event since a lot of people are driving a long way so if you have any suggestions, let me know. One possibility could be to go see the Disney Museum in the Presido since several of us have not seen us. Let me know what you guys think.

2. Nebelwerfer

Nebelwerfer Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 8, 2008
    I vote for san fran at the metreon... or possibly the starbucks by LFL

3. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    I vote for the Metreon and the weekend of the 29-30. I am going to see Wicked the 22nd at the Orpheum with my daughter.

4. Harlock415

Harlock415 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2003
    I'll be at Baycon 29th and 30th.

5. krissy1kenobi

krissy1kenobi Jedi Youngling

Feb 12, 2010
    Is anyone going from the East Bay? I doubt my car will make it to SF and I would like to attend.

6. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    If we have it at Metreon or LFL's Starbucks, it would be pretty accessible by BART and bus.

7. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    The problem with the Metreon is that those of us driving in have to pay a lot of money for parking. It makes it very discouraging to attend a meeting there, frankly. So I definitely vote against Metreon. It would be good to select meeting locations where we don't have to pay for parking.

I'm open the first 3 weekends in May (1-2, 8-9, 15-16). May 22 might be possible, but would be somewhat iffy for me. I cannot attend on May 23 due to a previous commitment. Keep in mind that May 29-31 is Memorial Day weekend, and some people might have plans for the 3 day weekend. (Either cons or other)

8. Tatooinepadme

Apr 27, 2005
    I forgot about the last weekend being memorial day. It would not be fair to anyone to make them drive into the city on that weekend. I think that pretty much leaves the weekend of May 22. Why don't we say that Saturday and we could do mid afternoon. I totally understand what you say about the parking Alison. I know people have requested that we have an activity to go with out meeting. Is there something in the city people would like to do? I know some restaurants where we can find free parking if we want to do that but maybe we should do something besides eating? Let me know what you guys think.

9. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Free parking would be a definite plus. I agree that activities are a great idea for many different reasons. (Maybe not so much parking, if it increases the parking charge time though! :p) I am not terribly familiar with SF, but I do know that at some point I'd love to go to the Exploratorium.

Having said that, personally I'm a little limited on time this month for that weekend (May 22). I'll make it to the meeting, but I think I'll have time for only a short activity if we do one, not a long one.

10. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    I'm in the same boat, Alison. That weekend (and next) Dale and I are pretty busy, with b-days, weddings, events, etc. We'll be in the Presidio on the 22nd working on something at LFL, but it won't be over until 4 pm at the very latest. The Exploratorium is right across the street, and I strongly suggest going there while its at its current location, before it moves. The Disney Museum is another place nearby to check out (again, with free parking), but you have to buy tickets with a time stamp, meaning you have to go there at the time it says on the ticket (they're in 15 minute increments). If anyone goes there when they open, it take about 3-4 hours to see everything and go to the gift shop, eat nearby, and have a meeting in the afternoon. Any good movies opening that weekend?

Robert, if you go to the meeting, could you please bring my DVD's (if they're done, that is) so I can pay you? Thanks.

11. irishjedimaster

irishjedimaster Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 6, 2010
    Yah, people love San Francisco for a lot of things. Parking isn't one. Its going to be a tough road ahead finding a place with free or cheap parking. That being said:
    1. My bank on 27th and Irving in the Avenues (San Francisco Police Credit Union). Its closed on the weekend, but its parking lot isn't. This is a sort of poorly-kept secret out in the sunset. Technically, no one is supposed to park there unless engaged in bank business, but since the bank is closed, no one cares. As long as Ive been going there, no one has gotten a ticket or drawn the ire of the parking folks. The down side is, the outer sunset is quite a ways from downtown, but easily accessible via public transit (this will cost, like, 4 dollars). The presidio is a lot closer, and also accessible by public transit.
    2. The parking structure on Bush in-between Stockton and Grant is like 3-4 dollars per hour (3 on Sunday). Its across from my parish, Our Lady of Victory. This is a few yards from Chinatown, and adjacent to all activities downtown. Its the cheapest parking Ive ever found downtown, and we use it almost exclusively.
    Failing that, I am open to picking people up and dropping them off. We can split the cost of gas and parking (experts call this a "car pool"), making the whole thing substantially less money.

12. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    If the meeting's at the Presidio and people can't get street parking around LFL, you can park for free at lot in front of the Disney Museum, and walk a couple blocks to the Starbuck's by the Yoda fountain.

13. Nebelwerfer

Apr 8, 2008
    yah, there is TONS of places to park around there for free, you might have to walk a short bit, but it's free street parking.

14. Tatooinepadme

Apr 27, 2005
    It sounds like its a busy time for people so maybe this time we should just stick to some food. Since more than one person has mentioned the presideo how about having it there? There is free parking and if some people have more time than others they can walk around. Do we want to meet at the starbucks or at Liverpool Lils, if people want actual food? Matt, it sounds like late afternoon would be best for you guys. I just don't want the people driving to have to l
    leave too late. What time would be best for people? I will try to fit it at a time that works for the most people.

Alison I agree a trip to the Exploritorium would be a good idea. My dad volunteers there once a month and it is a great place. Don't worry, its not moving anytime soon. They are still trying to figure out how it would work at the space at the Pier. Maybe we could do the Tachtile Dome if people are interested.

15. SWFAN3

SWFAN3 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 8, 2002
    It would seem the 22nd would work
    My suggestion is either:
    1st choice Presido
    2nd choice Metreon

Now, once confirm location, the time.
    Thank you.

16. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    Liverpool Lil's does have actual food - mighty good too, if I may add - as opposed to pastries and such from Starbucks. Besides, it's always good to support local businesses. Exploratorium could be fun.

Matt, I have no idea where the cover scans are since I have a new computer. I guess not all my files were saved for the transfer.

17. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    I will need to be back home by dinnertime, which would mean leaving SF by mid-late afternoon.

18. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    In conjunction with the new musical in San Francisco, the Disney Family Museum presents an exhibition of artwork from their animated classic, Peter Pan on display in their lobby through June 27, with the film playing in the theater through May 31st, except on the 22nd, when the voice of Wendy (and Alice), Kathryn Beaumont, will be discussing her experiences working with Walt, at 3 pm.

http://disney.go.com/disneyatoz/familymuseum/index.html

:D

19. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Another option to consider for the May meeting...

The annual SFFF anniversary picnic has traditionally been at the end of May. Do we want to consider having The anniversary picnic for the Msy meeting instead? Or should we wait and have the picnic in June? I can see pluses and minuses either way and think either can work. Plus for May: traditional month, parks less crowded. Plus for June: weather a bit warmer, more time to plan.

Just remember if we have it in May, it needs to be somewhere warmer than SF area! We've frozen previous years, huddling around the BBQ, and akways say that next year we need to go someplace warmer. :)

20. Nebelwerfer

Apr 8, 2008
    Plan for June is my vote

21. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    "Your insight serves you well".

I was wondering if/when someone would mention this without me posting it - May 31st, 2003 is SFFF's anniversary.

Good job, Padawan!

=D=

22. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    Well considering almost everyone's time is tight for May, we may as well start planning for a picnic in June. We don't HAVE to have a picnic in May for the club's anniversary, you know. Closer to the summer months is better for a picnic - in general - anyway. Considering that many of the members were not here when the club was first formed, we should simply consider it an annual picnic.

The San Francisco area's weather is unreliable for picnic planning so we're better off planning for some place more reliable, South Bay, North, even East Bay. All of this can be discussed at the next meeting, of course.

23. Tatooinepadme

Apr 27, 2005
    I think we should leave the picnic till June. We can just make it an annual picnic. I want to find a time when most people can come and it sounds like that weekend in May will be busy for people.

For the May meeting, how about saying 2:30 at Liverpool Lil's? That way people who want to get some food can and we can do the meeting. Then if some people have more time they can walk around the presidio either before or after the meeting. Let me know what you guys think. Here is the link so people can check it out. http://www.liverpoollils.com/
    It is at Lyon and Lombard.

24. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    I think it's fine to call it either an anniversary picnic or an annual picnic... what matters is we get together as a group and have a fun time.

Everyone being busy this May is a good point. Of course, we'll probably be busy in June as well (don't forget the camping trip is Jun 11-13!), but at least it would give everyone a little more notice to work it into their schedules. Which isn't to say we can't try for May if that's what a majority want. Maybe we should see what everyone says over the next couple of days?

25. Nebelwerfer

Apr 8, 2008
    If it is on the 22nd, then it will be hard for me to go because I previously volunteered to do a birthday party for RL, involving a huge sum of money donated to a charity. If it were a bit later in the day (3:30)I could attend both easily. But if the 22nd is the best date for everyone else, then that should be the date.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.