main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

May the Fourth 2014 - Wings Over the Rockies

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by PtrsonsZOO, Apr 23, 2014.

1. DieWompRatDie

DieWompRatDie Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2008
    The event went great this year! Lots of foam sabers were given away and lots of happy kids (of all ages) got to be in the X-Wing cockpit (those were my two stations). Big thanks to PtrsonsZOO for putting on the event and many thanks to all the RMFF folks who showed up to help. You made it a great event that all the families enjoyed.

Haikukid likes this.
  2. Haikukid

Haikukid Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 30, 2013
    Check out this website for some great pictures of the event LAST YEAR. Sorry this is what happens when you post in a hurry and don't re-check what you are doing. Still they are cool pictures. There was a reporter from this site that wanted to interview me but being a newb I didn't feel comfortable. And she took a picture of me and Obey Wann 's cool kids. I will look for this years posting and post that.

https://www.blacktie-colorado.com/photos/photoevent.cfm?id=2916

3. Katsu_MaRoy

Katsu_MaRoy Jedi Master star 2

Nov 21, 2006
    Thanks to Zoo, the Siths and everyone that worked to make this a great event!

4. Katsu_MaRoy

Katsu_MaRoy Jedi Master star 2

Nov 21, 2006
    ...that looks like last year's event...

5. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    It was a great time. Huge uber well done to Zoo, and everyone who helped make this another successful event.

6. Haikukid

Haikukid Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 30, 2013
    Thanks for catching that! :oops:

7. one of us

one of us Jedi Youngling

May 5, 2014
    It was a fun time

8. JawaJaka

JawaJaka Jedi Knight star 2

May 24, 2011
    Long and exhausting, but everyone had a great time! Lots of folks in the X-Wing, droids rolling around, trooper blasting, and foam saber fights galore! I didn't really have time to see what Jim's table was all about, but it looked like it had a long line for it! And the kids craft area was super fun! I do want to thank the young volunteers who busted their butts keeping us hydrated, fed, and refreshed. Kudos to a job well done!

DieWompRatDie likes this.
  9. PtrsonsZOO

PtrsonsZOO Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 30, 2001
    Rough numbers are looking good, but we won't have a full head count until the bean counter comes in later in the week. Judging by the fact that I can't move my wrist from writing extra passes for the X-Wing, I'm gonna say we had well over 300 through the cockpit this year. So, major thanks to everyone who kept that running like a well oiled machine.

The Girl Scouts were a new addition this year, and they not only rocked the craft area, they OWNED it! They are already talking plans for next year, and have signed up for a booth at Hauntings.

Thanks to everyone for coming out to share your love of Star Wars with the next generation. You were all wonderful!

10. Yuri1138

Yuri1138 Jedi Knight

Dec 29, 2009
    I didn't arrive till about 1230 but I had a blast helping out and definitely plan on going next year!

FanForced likes this.
  11. TV's Frink

TV's Frink Jedi Youngling

Apr 28, 2014
  12. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    The link didn't work, or needs me to log in.

13. TV's Frink

TV's Frink Jedi Youngling

Apr 28, 2014
    Oops, sorry about that. Here's the original post (minus the picture of me):

Mrs. Frink and I arrived at the Wings over the Rockies museum a little before he-guy started his Family Guy Star Wars edit, which gave us some time to check out the rest of the event. The highlight was a 3/4 scale model of an x-wing, one of just seven (or five, I can't remember) that were produced by LFL to promote the OT SE release to theaters back in '97.

[​IMG]

Mrs. Frink and I took a picture in front of it, unfortunately she won't let me post it. [​IMG]

There were lots of people in costumes, some model work, kids running all over the place with foam sabers, presumably the typical stuff you'll find at a convention or whatever you would call this (don't know for sure, this was my first). My two favorite costumes were a boy Han Solo and his Wookiee dad, and ROTS Anakin. Unfortunately the first picture didn't come out very well, but you can sort of make out the "wookiee costume" (such as it is). I like the Ani pic because of the water he's drinking, it looks like an ROTS on-set picture of an Ani double taking a break.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A couple of models:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There was also a car on display (presumably you could enter to win it), guarded by some stormtroopers. One guy got a little too close and was arrested.

[​IMG]

At the appointed time, we headed over to the Harrison Ford Welcome Theater. This was on display.

[​IMG]

And now, the first known picture of TV's Frink on the internet.

[PICTURE REDACTED]

We took our seats and settled in for the Family Guy edit. We were joined by one of my oldest (length of time, not age) buddies, who wore this shirt for the event.

[​IMG]

The Family Guy edit was surprisingly enjoyable. I say "surprisingly" because I'm in no way a Family Guy fan, but apparently he-guy took out most of the typical bathroom and "mature audience" content. Although at some points it was just a retelling of ANH with Family Guy characters, the jokes that were left were quite funny. The couch stuff in particular was really great. The audience really enjoyed it as well.

I should mention that the edit is not Academy-ready in it's current state, as there are too many noticeable audio cuts. But with some work on smoothing those out, it would be a nice solid edit.

And then my edit played. It was quite surreal seeing it in a nice theater with comfy chairs, a bunch of strangers, and a kick-ass audio system. The only disappointing bit, although perfectly understandable, was that people came and went during the movie. There were so many other things going on, and given the length of the edit, it made sense that most people drifted in and out in 15 or 20 minute increments. But let me tell you, there is no greater feeling than to have people you don't know audibly laugh at some of your jokes. In particular, there was one guy who could not stop laughing at the bit where Qui-Gon is killed and Obi yells "noooooo" over and over. I wanted to give him a big hug. At any rate, the last 20 minutes or so were thrilling, as the theater finally filled to capacity (including people standing at the back) and everyone really got into it. All-in-all, it was a fantastic experience. And he-guy gave me a nice little introduction after the edit ended and everyone gave me some nice applause.

I took several pictures and videos during the movie, unfortunately most of it didn't come out well at all. I posted the one video above, and here's a random picture that isn't too bad.

[​IMG]

Afterwards, we wandered around the hangar a little more, and then on the way out we ran into he-guy and chatted for a bit. He's a cool guy, and it was nice to meet him. And he is interested in showing AOTR next year. If that happens, I'll do my best to make it out to Denver again. [​IMG]

PtrsonsZOO likes this.