main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Maya Models?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Raymond_L, Apr 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raymond_L

Raymond_L Jedi Youngling

Feb 1, 2004
    Umm ok, i have been looking around and have found a lack of Star Wars maya models!!! please anyone?, i've been to SciFi 3D theres an ocassional Maya model here and there but not the specific one i need. Also tried the coverting 3DS models to MAYA models but they different polygons goes everywhere.

so i need help1!!!!

2. Ewoks_Rule

Ewoks_Rule Jedi Youngling

Apr 9, 2004
    You will find hardly any Maya models around because of it's price.
    Are there any formats that you know Maya can import? (I haven't got it).
    What models are you interested in? I may be able to convert them for you.

Ewoks_Rule

3. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    If you have learned to use Maya, I would think that you are at the level where you can probably create pretty decent looking models.
    Maya, after all, is most-definitely one of the higher-end 3D programs.

4. Raymond_L

Raymond_L Jedi Youngling

Feb 1, 2004
    is a format you can import.
    OBJ (*.obj)

I have started modelling a jedi star fighter because i not really fond of the one currently on sci fi 3D, there just minor things that i need and don't want to model like the Coruscant buildings and stuff e.t.c

5. Ewoks_Rule

Apr 9, 2004
    OBJ is Maya's own object format (MA is the scene format). If you can find and OBJ model on SciFi 3d then that should import fine.
    JediTAC's right - if you know Maya you can laugh at all of us 3DS, EI, LW and Blender (ha!) users.
    I have Lightwave, which can import and export 3DS, DXF and OBJ and loads more so if you say what you want then I can convert it for you.

You might find luck on: Multimedia Converters (look at Crossroads 3D).

Ewoks_Rule

6. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    LW and Maya tend to get along in a pipeline pretty well, so if Maya can import the LWO file, you'll be fine there. Otherwise, find a LW user with the time, and they should be able to export an OBJ file for you. Assuming the LW conversion was good to begin with, or it's a LW-native file. A lot of the older conversions on SF3D use the now-antiquated 3DS format, which will yeild some rather ugly results in most cases.

7. glh3586

glh3586 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 13, 2000
    You will find hardly any Maya models around because of it's price.

Um Maya Complete is a lot less that 3d studios. Maya unlimited on the other hand is a lot more than 3dsmax. Maya used to be more expensive but they dropped the price.

8. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    That's not really saying much, since MAX is actually a lot more expensive than many other programs out there. I think it's roughly double the price of LightWave, where LW is the more powerful program. Go figure.

And don't gimme none o' that "LW vs MAX" flak.. check Hollywood, how many motion pictures or television shows has MAX been used in lately? 'Nuff said.

9. BetaHacker

BetaHacker Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 3, 2004
    Yeah if I were a big producer in charge of a movie i would definitly say "man i really want to use lightwave for our movie". I mean look at the matrix movies they looked great didnt they.

10. glh3586

glh3586 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 13, 2000
    Oh I know, its just he commented that there wasn't many models based on its price, were as its cheaper than max is and theres a great deal of star wars models for max.

11. Ewoks_Rule

Apr 9, 2004
    glh3586: Sorry, I was basing it on Unlimited. There's not much in Complete that can't be done in the other big software.
    And, a lot of people use illegal versions of 3DS; people say it's (apparently) more widespread and used. I don't deny that you do find more models and tutorials for it but who makes these? Thieves?

Absolutely, Jedi2016, Lightwave is far more powerful!!
    (Have I started something...:))

Ewoks_Rule

12. starbuccaneer

starbuccaneer Jedi Youngling

Apr 13, 2004
    Hey, not to bring this thread back from the dead, but Maya actually has a complete version on its site that's free, for learning purposes. It smacks ugly "NOT FOR COMMERCIAL USE" stamps all over the screen when you view anything past wireframe, so it won't do much good for actual effects shots... but it's fine for learning it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.