main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padu, KY Maybe it doesn't flow through Han

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by TK8049, Dec 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TK8049

TK8049 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 3, 2006
    "Kid, I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other, I've seen alot of strange stuff but I've never seen anything to make me believe theres one all powerful Force controling everything.

Really Han thats quite a statement considering you were born around 29 BBY(Before the battle of Yavin. honestly if you didn't know that just stop reading)which would put you at around the age of 11 when order 66 went out and wiped out a large group of "people" who did believe in such a "force" and were killed by orders from another guy who believed in the dark side of said "force". Now I know this falls into religous belief but in the SW universe there are clearly documented cases of people using a "force" to do deeds of good and evil for someone to simply dismiss it so strongly. Discuss.

2. Nardo

Nardo Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 21, 2006

3. SithMonger

SithMonger Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 1, 2005
    Really, there's only one thing to talk about and that's.....

Star Wars In Concert was awesome!!!

For those not able to attend or who didn't want to, check out some pics and I'm sure there will me more to come by others.

http://nashville.metromix.com/events/essay_photo_gallery/byrds-eye-view-star/1665440/content

And this has been a message from...another Hijacked Thread - Bam!

lol. actually, I answer you first of all with four words - The Han Solo Trilogy

In those adventures, a lot of Han's skepticism over the spiritual are explained and given credit to. Plus, he probably never experienced the Force much before Obiwan and Luke stepped aboard his ship. He traveled with a group that didn't abide by, and whose livelihood didn't depend upon, the activities between the Republic and Jedi. And who knows how the headlines on the HoloNet read about that incident anyway. I'm sure the Jedi were portrayed as betrayers and charlatans. And Han is no stranger to religion - do you remember the Cult of Varn? It's probably another reason he is so skeptical - he's been down that path before.

Plus, I'm sure Han is aware of such "tricks" as telekinesis or mind-play - after all, he is a gambler and is used to many parlor tricks, and probably has been witness to many tricks involving the "Force". But that means he would see any use of the Force probably as just a trick. And besides, believing that one person may or may not possess an ability is far from the believing in the notion of an unseen, all-encompassing Force, which Han, at the time, was still carrying much skepticism over. Just as we're skeptic about God, some more so than others. Only when one comes to know the Force, can one truly embrace it, either for light or dark purposes. Han just didn't know about it and Han doesn't believe in what he doesn't know. He knows he's a great smuggler with a reliable co-pilot and a fast ship, and, well, when you're in his business, what else do you need to know, really? But when Han shows a little heart to help a farmboy destroy a giant space station, gets a gun swiped out of his hands by an evil lord using the Force, and falls in love with someone who comes from a family that is strong with the Force, then I would say he would retract that statement he made in A New Hope if he could.

And we all know Yoda says the Force flows everywhere, so it must flow through Han too.

And the Star Wars concert was awesome! Did I say that already? Discuss.

And watch - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYntjR4-pY4

And since we're watching videos now, might as well watch this one too.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAHYftmwY0U

4. Nardo

Feb 21, 2006
    SO. what you are saying, sith monger, is that we agree??? what?! lol!

OMG! that concert was sooo amazing. I cried during the vader parts. The life redeemed one? I was completely teary-eyed.
    Only bad thing, there was not nearly enough bounty hunter stuff. But it was soooo awesome!

I totally agree with you on everything you said about Han. DORK!

5. DarkWolf2k

DarkWolf2k Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2007
  6. TK8049

Feb 3, 2006
    Lets stay on topic.

So if I were to say "I've flown from Ky. to California and I havent seen anything to make me believe there was ever a Mayan civilization". That would be proof enough to me that maybe they didn't exist?
    What about the holonet news before Order 66 went out? Do you think the Jedi were not talked to by the media? No highlights from Geonosis,Coruscant,etc. etc? You would have to be living in a box, in a slug, in an asteroid field not to see some kind of jedi doing something during the Clone Wars. How do you even explain the Clone Wars without mentioning the jedi?
    This is not a religous issue. Its a OMG I can't believe you don't know history from 20 yrs ago issue. Luke knew about the Clone Wars and I am pretty sure he didn't get around as much as Han.

7. pacervader

pacervader Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 27, 2005
    There are many stories in the EU ,after the purge, of jedis wiping peoples minds with the force after they had interaction with them to protect themselves. By this standard, Han could have been raised as a youngling in a secret jedi temple till he was an adult an still not have known anything if they wiped him.
    But your missing the big picture here. You can't point out continuity problems from ANH cause its riddled with them. And that's because George didn't think it was gonna matter cause he thought that would be the only movie. So Han saying that is just something his shallow charector would say, it just adds a bigger punch at the end for the veiwer when he becomes a believer. Pv
    Boom, posted.
    Boop

8. Nardo

Feb 21, 2006
    I still maintain that he said he hasn't seen anything to make him believe. Not that he hasn't ever heard of them period. He never said that I don't think. Just he didn't believe it. Probably thought it was a trick. Like Sithmonger said.

9. BibFortune

BibFortune Jedi Youngling

Jan 24, 2008
    He's no jedi.

10. SithMonger

Dec 1, 2005
    TK8049, I think I addressed those issues regarding the Holonet. And it's not a continuity problem - it's comes straight from Han's characterization. And as far as coverage, do you know what units are deployed in Afghanistan right now and where they're stationed? Maybe you do, but I don't. Not every detail of a war is remembered by the public, especially public that's not involved. Even if it was discussed, over time things and information morph a bit. I've heard of ninjas - are they mystical? Damn right they are! lol. But do I believe there is some all powerful ninja force controlling everything? Uh, no, although Nardo may disagree. Even the "Clone Wars" was probably as amazingly thought of by Luke as we all were when we first saw Star Wars and wondered what that meant, long before the prequels tamed our wild imaginations and maybe even disappointed us. I'm sure if Luke had been there he would have been ready with the "This isn't exactly what I had in mind" phrase. And Luke had friends who dreamed of fighting in war - Luke and them probably had some insight from history and they were settled enough in one place where there wasn't much to do except look for stories to be told and read of history. Plus, I'm sure he had to overhear Owen and Beru discuss it at times. And Han's life didn't follow any involvement of those wars or situations - he travelled with smugglers. Apparently, he was inbetween and across starfields from that action. All those stories haven't been told (made up) yet. Just like life goes on here for us completely separate than if we were in war-torn Iraq. And, believe me, thoughts and attitudes about the war and who is involved in them are a lot different there and represented differently there than what you understand and what we know here. It's all about a certain point of view. And I'm sure Han's teachings in the Imperial Academy didn't add to a great view of the jedi, if they and the force were even talked about, or they may have even been debunked which would make perfect sense why Han would say that. Again, as Nardo said, Han has never said that he wasn't aware of the Clone Wars or of the people who called themselves Jedi, we just don't know what he thought of them except for that one phrase we're discussing.

Oh, and your "stay on topic" quibble - LAME! I reject authority! lol

So, here's more videos!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfNG_saVEnk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mf37HoL_VE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbqBT1mE9Ts

11. TK8049

Feb 3, 2006
    There are many stories in the EU ,after the purge, of jedis wiping peoples minds with the force after they had interaction with them to protect themselves.

I have never heard or read any of these stories. Perhaps you could give me some examples? Also I don't know how to do that cool quote box thingy so you can all laugh at that if you want.

Heres my final take on the matter:

1.Han Solo had no better than a 4th grade education at best

2.Being abandoned and raised by pirates would obviously let Han learn how to steal anything and forge any documents for a life of petty crime.

3.Han did have exceptional piloting skills but i doubt he ever went to any Imperial Academy. Thats probably a forged document.

See I just made up my own dropout loser story for Han and I personally find it very believeable and it backs up why he would say something so dumb.

12. SithMonger

Dec 1, 2005
    I didn't either. Turns out it's pretty easy.

I've never heard of these stories either and would also love to know of examples.

1. Isn't everyone home-schooled in space?
    2. Sounds right.
    3. "Solo then entered the Imperial Academy at Carida, serving with distinction. He was kicked out, however, when he stopped an Imperial officer from beating a Wookiee named Chewbacca. In gratitude, the Wookiee swore a life debt to Solo. He became a smuggler once again, with Chewbacca at his side." - quoted from Wookiepedia

Sure, make Han a drop-out loser - whatever makes you feel better about yourself! ;) And, what, you're defending the honor of jedi now? :eek:

13. TK8049

Feb 3, 2006
    Not defending their honor just sayin that its crazy to say they didn't exist....like Bigfoot.

14. SithMonger

Dec 1, 2005
    He never said they didn't exist...and leave my ex wife out of this!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.