main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Maybe no ST 7-8-9 BUT....

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by BOnes_Mandalorian, Mar 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BOnes_Mandalorian

BOnes_Mandalorian Jedi Youngling

Mar 29, 2002
    Fellow Jedi... Please stay with me in my little dissertation.. comments are VERY welcome.

In a recent media statement, Christopher Lee commented on how he adored LORD OF THE RINGS and he ALSO mentioned how this new trilogy of movies will change the way we (speaking especially for directors) look at MAKING movies, because QUOTE: Peter Jackson has just prooved it is possible to film 3 movies back to back. I am really proud of New Line for deciding to take the risk. [...][Not actual words but close enough].

ANYWAY, my point is this. It takes 3 full years to make a new Star Wars flick... and therefore about 10 years for a Star Wars Trilogy. George Lucas says he'll be too old and too tired, that it'll consume him too much. But it took around 5 years to do Lord of the Rings (all 3 movies are shot already, leaving only the post-production). I should also like to point out that in the recent 25th anniversary issue of the SW Insider, Rick McCallum says he knows Peter Jackson and he's a huge fan of Lord of the Rings and loves how Peter worked on them.

Guys and Gals.... YES, the Star Wars trilogies are pretty complete in only 6 episodes. I will not deny this. But I also know that there are CRUCIAL elements missing to the 6 episodes. Such as remnants of the empire, HOW do you rebuild a republic, Didn't Palpatine leave notes behind ? and... MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL,.... HOW can a single, barely trained Jedi knight reestablish a Jedi order ALL BY HIMSELF ... having NO RECORDS left since (at this point in time) we presume that emperor Palpatine destroyed everything. In fact, come to think about it, Palpatine would have left Sith teachings behind instead.

In ANY case, if you have carefully read the NOVEL for Episode I (George Lucas helped fill in the details himself for that novel), you should know that the first dark lord of the sith was a rogue Jedi who built the dark jedi cult of the Sith himself. THEN there were many dark lords that followed and only after they whiped each other out was it decided that from now on, "there would be only two"... So no more Palpatine does NOT mean no more Sith..

On to the point of directing now,... I LOVED ESB and ROTJ. I don't know about you guys but those were the best in my opinion. George Lucas came up with the stories. The man is a master storyteller for sure,... but...BUT... he DIDN'T direct those movies. So my question is this,... if it's such hard work for him, then why doesn't he simply do like he did before ?... Let Rick McCallum produce, and someone like Brian Singer or Peter Jackson direct... then all HE has to do is WRITE... and give his personal opinion on things once a week... That way it's STILL HIS movies and he has all the time off he could ever want to do other stuff.. And fear not for John Williams, I trust young Joel McNeely, what with his amazing Shadows of the Empire soundtrack. One of my favorites.

As for returning actors,... the only one we really need (personnal opinion here) is Luke and he should be as old as Ben by the time this (if ever) gets made. Mark Hamill would like to become Luke Skywalker again anyway. And he would just be a side-character. So it's perfect. Even Arnold Shwarz. (who is rather old now) is returning to play Conan in King Conan: Crown of Iron (as an older Conan).

Face it guys... granted all of this is only from my limited point of view. But deep down, IF IT WAS PROPERLY DONE, we would ALL love to see this happen. Imagine.. a TRILOGY of trilogies.. And our perfectionnist master George Lucas would get to fill in the major missing sequel gaps.

Com ON Jedi... let's team up here. We've watched the movies hundreds of times. Help me fill in the gaps. (I'm not talking about the TFN virtual sequels and new ideas,... just what's WRONG or... UNCLEAR, rather, with the 6 Star Wars episodes). If we find enough we could use it in an eventual petition to politely ask for Episodes 7-8-9).

I love you all and may the force be with you forever.

ps: don't talk to me about the EU because I USED to be a fan but I think the whole spin off novel thi

2. StarDude

StarDude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 28, 2001
    Good job. I'm with you. :)

3. LSF45

LSF45 Jedi Master star 1

Oct 13, 2001
    I agree with you, but this is Geogre's Stories. Whatever Geogre says, goes. If he said there won't be 7-8-9, than there won't. The Star Wars Story was about Anakin, his Start, his Power, His Turn, His Evil, his Compassion, and his Return to Good. There isn't anything else to tell about Anakin Skywalker after Episode 6. I wish we could have another Trilogy, but if Lucas says there won't, than i have to believe him.

4. BOnes_Mandalorian

Mar 29, 2002
    Err... Yes, It IS George's story. Now.. does George ALWAYS do what he says he'll do ?

no

Is Star Wars REALLY Anakin's story ?

no : it is the story of the Skywalker family
    ( Vader is not as big a principal character in the original trilogy. In that trilogy, it is LUKE'S story. HIS quest to bring his father back to the light side... HIS struggle against the dark side. If Star Wars was really just about Anakin, then there would be at LEAST a few scenes in the original trilogy where we still see him struggling to regain balance. Aside from the END of ROTJ, we don't....

Is it really impossible to politely twist George's arm to get him to do 7-8-9 ?

no: proof -- ATTACK OF THE CLONES ... Because people (we the fans) complained so much, Jar Jar only has a very short appearance in AOTC... Because the reviewers said there was not enough charisma in TPM, George corrected his previous mistake. I say again... George LISTENS to us fans. We ARE important to him. And asking him for a new trilogy is not illegal.

IN ANY CASE... If you understand the psychological profile of a perfectionnist, and understand what a "mid life crisis" of sorts is, then you should know that Lucas will not yet be satisfied after Episode 3, and after a short 2-3 year break, he'll start thinking about REALLY coming full circle with his story. You cannot call Episode 6: "Return of the Jedi" and not understand it's meaning. In the current situation, Luke doesn't have a chance of restoring a millenia old Jedi order on his own.

Anyway,... let us first be patient and see what happens,... there is still Episode 3 to make and, sadly, nobody can say if dear George will kick the buckett before that.

Hell, for all I know I'll be dead !
    hehe ;:0( err sob.. ?

5. jamesdrax

jamesdrax Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2000
    Or GL could make a trilogy set between the PT and the OT, thus calling the OT Episodes 7 - 9.

:)

6. BOnes_Mandalorian

Mar 29, 2002
    I really don't think that would be a good idea,... Ben will be living on Tatooine by then, and Yoda on Dagobah. Luke (and we KNOW this) is never to leave Tatooine untill A NEW HOPE and Anakin will be roaming around the galaxy killing people.

I say nay,....

COME ON GUYS,... Let's see a little optimism here,... hehe

What I really want to see is Luke rebuilding the Jedi order.... HOW is he to do that exactly ? After all,... Ben Kenobi NEVER told Luke about the midichlorians,... HOW EXACTLY is Luke supposed to know about them ? Yoda never left notes to Luke... Doesn't this hit you guys ? In order to find baby Jedi, you need to know they have a high midichlorian count when they are born ... And Luke knows nothing of midichlorians.... Jeez... It's obvious to me somethings gotta be said about that.

7. GORILLA

GORILLA Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 21, 2002
    This is a great thread BOnes_Mandalorian,

I would love to see the third trilogy finally be made. However, I'm a bit realistic and I doubt it will happen, but I will always mantain my hope that Lucas will change his mind.

I've always held the belief that Lucas should write the last 3 episodes and then give the stories to a producer and director that Lucas trusts and believes would do the saga justice. That way the saga would still be completed even if Lucas thought he would be to old to finish it himself.

BOnes, please don't mention midichlorians. That crap was a serious flaw in TPM and harmful to the Star Wars saga as a whole, IMO. I too have erased the entire EU from my memory. With the exception of Timothy Zahn's original Thrawn Trilogy all the other Star Wars books written in the past 10 years suck horribly.

Last thought: I've never believed the Star Wars saga was about Anakin Skywalker. I read a theory years ago that the entire Star Wars saga was actually the story of the galaxy told through the eyes of R2-D2 and C-3PO, they're the narrators of the story. Think about it. Besides Anakin, they're the only characters in all the movies. They both seem to be in the right place at the right time in all the important moments in all the movies. So they have the advantage of giving us 1st person eye witness accounts of everything that has happened to the republic, the rebellion, and the Jedi in the past 50 years. They're both history teachers, remember 3PO telling the bedtime story to the ewoks in ROTJ. eh...

8. Darth Kruel

Darth Kruel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    i would say it's anakin/vader's story. threepio and artoo wasn't there all the time. george lucas says that anakin skywalker/darth vader is the progagonist in the saga.

9. BOnes_Mandalorian

Mar 29, 2002
    FINALLY ! (Speaking of Gorilla) Someone who thinks clearly...

OK... Truth is .. you are right about 7-8-9 and being realistic. But consider this,... time is a mysterious thing. Let us make a stupid analogy with a hamburger (if you don't mind). One minute you're hungry... maaan you dream about that juicy hamburger.. the next minute (approx. of course.;:)) you are eating the hamburger. And then you're not hungry anymore... but 24 hours later, if you don't eat anything by then, you WILL still desire a hamburger.. hehe... Star Wars had enough of this effect on George that he actually made Episodes 1-3... See.. What I mean is that now... we are in the NOW... but in 10 years... we will STILL be in the NOW and so will George. He will have gained more experiences by then, but he won't really feel like he's 80 once he gets there... like old men that are still playing hockey. They USED to say .. aaahhh by then I'll be too old to play,.. yeah right ! Easier said then done eh ? To sum it all up... It's hard to let go of something when you really like it. George has been bustin' his ass on these movies for .. what .. the past 6 years now ? This means he's gotten USED to working like this... and when he stops working,.. after a 2-3 year break, he'll be bored and want to do some more. PLUS his own KIDS continuously ask him to do 7-8-9. His little daughter asked him that same question. What did he answer,.. ? "Ask me again after Episode 3"... Capice ? All we gotta do is live our daily lives, and one day, hopefully ... 7-8-9 will be a reality.

Now on with the midichlorians. At first I HATED the idea... DUMB..DUMB...DUMB... But the truth is... the more you zoom on nature, the more you're technically advanced, the more you understand PIECES of the universe. George has in no way killed the spiritual aspect of the force... He has simply clarified 0.000001 % of the functionning. Now I don't want to get into religion here, but let us say we DO have an immortal soul after all,... then how do you explain it is attached to our bodies ? see... we don't KNOW this... but nature and the way it functions is INFINITELY smaller than meets the eye. George didn't say the midichlorians are the force, he said we use them to feel the force (thus, he still doesn't explain the force itself).

Finally, the droids.. yes ... It was mentioned a few years back that C-3PO and R2-D2 were the only 2 returning characters to appear in ALL 3 trilogies. And your point makes perfect sense. Your point is 100% on target. The droids are the temporal focus centers of the entire saga. The only things that don't really change after the passage of time.

ps: another note.. people say that not everything was said in ESB and that Luke spent a LOT of time on Dagobah... UNTRUE.. Because he left Hoth AFTER Han and Leia and he saved them just after Han got frozen in carbonite ... all in all.... a MAXIMUM of 2 to 3 weeks. And Jedi padawan are supposed to be trained... what... 23 years ? heh....

10. GORILLA

Mar 21, 2002
    BOnes, right back at ya. It's nice to have an intellingent conversation with an open minded fan.

True, the midichlorians "are not" the force. They just interact with the force. But, I still have a small problem with this. Star Wars is mythology. Lucas doesn't have to give a technical explaination to every little thing in the entire star wars galaxy.

On to Luke's training with Yoda. Yes, Luke was only with Yoda for a few weeks. This never bothered me though. I always assumed that since Yoda was the Jedi master of all Jedi masters that he gave Luke the ultimate crash course in Jedi training. Remember time is running out for the rebellion. If Yoda took the normal amount of time to train Luke the second Death Star would have been completed. The rebellion would have finally been crushed. Leia most likely would have been killed. And Luke would have absolutly no chance of redeeming his father, destroying the emperor, and defeating the empire, even if he was a full fledged Jedi Knight.

11. BOnes_Mandalorian

Mar 29, 2002
    Totally agree with you there. Yoda knew how to make a crash course training effective. But personally, I'm not too sure when Yoda said "there is another" that he meant Leia... Let us take things back into perspective. As I have mentioned... Lucas tells his daughter "remind me after Episode 3 is done" referring to the sequels... He's also told the fans this in so many words... The change from WILL NOT do to PROBABLY NOT is a BIG change. And Lucas is known to do suprise shocking endings. I figure he arranged the 2 trilogies in such a way that if he dies before the third trilogy, the whole thing will look a little complete. BUT.. here is MY theory... the shocker at the end of Episode 3... Yoda's "other" is revealed... another "live very long time" Jedi master... in isolation on some unknown planet somewhere... Like Ben and Yoda. A backup plan. This is also why Yoda isn't TOO stressed out when Luke leaves before his training.... This will ESPECIALLY be a shocker because it will let the fans know that Luke's story isn't over yet.... he still has 20 so years of training to finish with this master. .. TAADAAAAA ! hence we see Mark Hamill MUCH older now... guided by the Jedi master ... and to add to the shock phenomena, Lucas finally has the roman numbers VII-VIII-IX added to the starwars.com website. Now wouldn't that be GRREAT or what ? MORE TO THE POINT.... Lucas told John Williams the ending to Episode 3... Apparently John is EXHILARATED by the idea Lucas has told him about and URGES George to quickly finish it so he can... CONTINUE.... ;;-) THINK !! this should look GREAT if it's what I expect..

12. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    Sorry, Gorilla, midi-chlorians are part of the Star Wars mythology now, whether you like them or not. A final trilogy would have to mention them, if only in passing. Midis were not needed in episodes IV - VI because Luke was the only new Jedi. But if you had a story where an older Luke was seeking new Jedi recruits, midis would have to come in to play somewhere.

13. BOnes_Mandalorian

Mar 29, 2002
    That is a very good point too.

Well, to agree with both you and Gorilla I'll say this: Mythos shouldn't be explained so much... But think of it as "modern" mythology. Still mysterious but a little more explained. I also think Lucas should have dropped the midis, however, now it IS part of Star Wars, and therefore, a Jedi "master" like Luke cannot restore the order without midichlorians. People have had good arguments saying that empires have fallen and had to be rebuilt from scratch... well,.. err.. think again. Do you know of the arabic numbers we use ? You know, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 Well,... empires have fallen and were rebuilt, but those numbers were a constant... Actually, we occidentals (is that how you say it ?) owe much of the knowlege we have to the arabs who kept the knowlege safe during the dark ages. See ? In Star Wars The dark age is the middle trilogy of the Empire. but this only furthers my original point that we really DO need episodes 7-8-9 for the saga to be complete. The fall of the republic, the dark age, the rebirth... All sounds very logical to me,... What do you think ?

14. mav56

mav56 Jedi Youngling

Apr 6, 2002
    read the books, how can it be set up for another tril.... unless lucas says when it;s about anakin, he means all of them..... not just anakin skywalker, but also anakin solo. and when lucas first thought if this, wasn;t it supposed to be 12 part saga, then cut it down to 9, only to finnish with 6, just tell tell anakin skywaler's and not the true anakin story line. and i think the true ending shocker will be the movie will end years past ROTJ, with R2 and C, chillin with the true Anakin, Anakin Solo, telling the story of how the jedi had to die off to be reborn. he is the one who will bring blance to the force. that is just my thinking...

15. BOnes_Mandalorian

Mar 29, 2002
    Yes. That is an interesting point too. But don't forget that George cares VERY LITTLE about the extended universe. Trust me.. in George's mind, the books are full of CRAP. And I can prove it... The special edition of Star Wars DESTROYED all that was written about Feltipern Trevag in the cantina. If you have read or heard the BDD audio drama "Star Wars: Nightlily - The Lover's Tale" by Barbara Hambly, then you'll know what I'm talking about. Because, you see, the scene with Trevagg in the cantina was litterally cut out from the special edition. And there I was thinking it was such a great short story. There are a dozen more examples but then we'd loose track of the point. My point is this, George Lucas doesn't care about the extended universe. We should actually call it a "paralell" universe. George has a VERY different idea of what he thinks happens to Luke after ROTJ. Regardless what he told the press. He was just trying to shut up the fans about it.

In other words, my friend, DON'T take the books too seriously or you MIGHT end up regretting it one day.

PS: Want a better example ? The whole "Greedo shoots first" poodoo... BANTHA FODDER is what I think.. Like replacing the guns for walkie-talkies in E.T. SE... (stupid.. real dum).

16. Ben_Skywalker

Ben_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 20, 2001
    "Besides Anakin, they're the only characters in all the movies..."

Gorilla, last time I checked, Obi Wan Kenobi was in all 6 movies. So was Palpatine(he wasn't actually in ANH but he was mentioned :D ). Is the story through their eyes too? :p

And sorry to burst your bubble but making three movies back to back isn't that easy. LotR was in production 18 months continuesly(sp?). Now that's a VERY long time to be shooting a movie. Then after that, it took about a years worth of post production. But with the scale of StarWars, it probably would take longer.

With all that being said, I too want Ep. 7-9 made. :)

17. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    Is it really impossible to politely twist George's arm to get him to do 7-8-9 ?

no: proof -- ATTACK OF THE CLONES ... Because people (we the fans) complained so much, Jar Jar only has a very short appearance in AOTC... Because the reviewers said there was not enough charisma in TPM, George corrected his previous mistake. I say again... George LISTENS to us fans. We ARE important to him. And asking him for a new trilogy is not illegal.

Don't try to take credit where it isn't due. Lucas started writing, or at least outlining Episode II in 1998; Jar Jar's role and size of that role were determined then, before anyone complained about him in TPM. Jonathan Hales was also hired in 1998, long before any criticism of the writing. Episode II is not a reaction to to reception of TPM, it is the film it Lucas intended it to be.

18. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    Yes. That is an interesting point too. But don't forget that George cares VERY LITTLE about the extended universe. Trust me.. in George's mind, the books are full of CRAP. And I can prove it... The special edition of Star Wars DESTROYED all that was written about Feltipern Trevag in the cantina. If you have read or heard the BDD audio drama "Star Wars: Nightlily - The Lover's Tale" by Barbara Hambly, then you'll know what I'm talking about. Because, you see, the scene with Trevagg in the cantina was litterally cut out from the special edition. And there I was thinking it was such a great short story. There are a dozen more examples but then we'd loose track of the point. My point is this, George Lucas doesn't care about the extended universe. We should actually call it a "paralell" universe. George has a VERY different idea of what he thinks happens to Luke after ROTJ. Regardless what he told the press. He was just trying to shut up the fans about it.

Just because you don't see him there anymore doesn't mean he isn't there. But that is definately the most creative finding of anyone out to discredit the EU I've ever seen. Nice Job.

"In GL's mind the books are full of crap"?

Did he tell you this? Whatelse is this based on, other than the fact that we no longer see Feltipern? Granted, some of the EU is HORRIBLE. But a lot of it is pretty good.

How could he set up another trilogy after RotJ and the EU? The books' timeline ends at 30 years ASW4 for a reason.

And check out this quote - heavily edited, but retaining its original meaning:

?it became apparent that my story [?] was only one of thousands that could be told about the characters who inhabit its galaxy. [?] it is an amazing [?] legacy of Star Wars that so many gifted writers are contributing new stories to the Saga.

That's from GL. Check out the beginning of the reprinted Spliter of the Mind's Eye for the whole thing.

How do YOU know he was just shutting up the fans? Maybe he actually feels that way? did he tell you? No. It's YOUR OPINION. Which is fine. Just don't put words in others' mouths, especially when all the evidence points to the contrary. F'r instance, things from the EU in E2: Holocrons, Swoops (which, BTW, appeared in a booth in 1979, 4 years before the speeder bikes in RotJ), the name Coruscant, a Senator Greyshade, and a Jedi named Aayla Secura. GL saw her design in a SW comic and thought she was cool, so he put her in the movie.

wow, offtopic.

19. BOnes_Mandalorian

Mar 29, 2002
    Now now.... let us first calm down.
    Good.

Now, ... You just said so yourself,... GL finds things from the books he finds amusing, then adds them to HIS movies,... HIS...HIS. OK TO THE POINT... Who wrote the stories of ESB and ROTJ ? (sorry if I repeat myself). George did. Mind you... he DIDN'T direct them .. DID NOT.... he..WROTE and.. approved work done on the movies. And plus now he has McCallum to Produce. THIS is what I am saying. ALL we really need is for george to WRITE episodes 7-8-9. I mean... do you really HONESTLY believe Lucasfilm Ltd. will DIE when George dies ? That they will bury his entire company down with him like an ancient king of Egypt ? NO--WAY ! .. The Walt Disney company is still alive and well, and so will Lucasfilm. ALL we need from him is a script for 7-8-9. THAT IS ALL... George Lucas is a BAD director, GOOD storyteller. So PLEASE let him do what he is best at ... writing stories and building companies. TPM , im my eyes (granted), will forever remain the biggest flaw of the Star Wars saga. And I'm not too enthousiastic about the Special editions .. TPM, in MY opinion is what really needs to be redone. I HAVE READ THE BOOK FOR EPISODE 1 AND IT IS GREAT !! VERY GOOD WORK from George Lucas. He just failed at the director's chair... that's all.

ps: Alan Dean Foster wrote Splinter of the Mind's Eye. (from where you took that quote). I have the book here. GL mentions 7-8-9 in it,... he says all you say he says,... about other writers contributing. But then again, THANK GOD Luke didn't start a sexual relation with his SISTER in that book.. Now THAT would have been plain UGLY... so much for Extended Universes.(oh yeah.. he's ALWAYS known).
    ps 2: Some EU stuff I ADORE. I, Jedi and the X-Wing series are simply EXTRAORDINARY !

20. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Sep 23, 1999
    I KNOW they're GL's films. I also know that he can contradict the EU because it's his universe. But I also know that he HASN'T contradicted the EU (yet, at least) and that it would be possible for him to film a Serquel Trilogy without disturbing the EU at all.

And just the way the previous post was worded, ie "GL thinks the EU is full of crap" sort of put out a negative vibe there. That's all.

And you're right, the sister-kissing thing is a bit strange. o_O

GL = bad director? In some parts, yes, I'd ahve to agree. ANH is definatel;y not bad directing wise, and much of TPM is directed well also. Certain parts make me bvringe, but not a ton of them.

True also that we only need a script, but do YOU think that GL would let someone else make his movies when he dies? Hell no! He's notoriously protective of his stuff.

If he were to write the sequels and just oversee them while making whatever else he's planning on in the next few decades, that may work...

21. GORILLA

Mar 21, 2002
    Gorilla, last time I checked, Obi Wan Kenobi was in all 6 movies. So was Palpatine (he wasn't actually in ANH but he was mentioned). Is the story through their eyes too?

Ben_Skywaler, Yes Kenobi and Palpatine are in all 6 movies as well but you're forgetting one tiny little detail regarding those two. THEY'RE DEAD! Kenobi is a ghost in ESB and ROTJ, only Luke and Yoda can see and hear him and Palpatine of course gets offed by Vader. How could they tell the story if they were not alive to tell it. Remember Star Wars is history, not current events. Everything in Star Wars is in the past, hence "A long time ago in galaxy far far away." Haven't you ever heard the saying "Dead men tell no tales."

22. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Sep 23, 1999
    "Dead men tell no tales."

Obi does. :D

23. BOnes_Mandalorian

Mar 29, 2002
    Commander Thrawn

I take back what I've said. You are right. George has done GREAT work in the past. I HATE how he directed TPM, but I must admit I really like THX 1138. If you haven't seen it I suggest you do. Although the effects are FAR from the later company with the same name, the direction is admitedly VERY different from Star Wars and VERY good at that. It also has a very good thesis. We are, after all, coming closer and closer to a "big brother" type of society. (What with all the security mesures since september 11th and all).

On another note, I too love 80% of the work that has been done in the EU, My favorites are the works of Timothy Zahn and Micheal A. Stackpole. I just LOVE their work. Zahn is a brilliant and smart writer who did the best spin-off novel trilogy with Thrawn; and Mike Stackpole's X-WING series recaptured the spirit of Star Wars without CONSTANTLY bringing back Luke, Leia and Han. THAT is what I like in EU novels,... keep the magic of the Star Wars universe alive WITHOUT constantly bringing back the old characters. More to the point, X-WING is REAL drama. With constant renewal of some characters caused by death. Now, the BAD side of the EU coin are authors like Kevin J. Anderson and the WHOLE "New Jedi Order" crap.... I'm just really getting sick of that series... And I DID NOT like the way they killed off Chewie. It was... errr.. simply TOO "grandiose". Too exagerated. With a MOON falling on his head. I think dying of a fatal blaster bolt while saving Anakin would have been better.

Third... I'm an eternal geek fan of the movies and cannot imagine a world where Episodes 7-8-9 do not exist. I mean... understand... I have been DYING to see Luke again since 1983. It's not fair ... I don't expect any of you to understand, but it's sort of like this,... I feel I personally won't come to a closure in my mind untill I see Luke in a movie again, "Returning" the Jedi order to it's former glory. I know it's silly. But it's the last piece of my childhood I expect to grow into an adult... Eventuall anyway..

PS: I would like to thank ALL the people who have contributed to this thread so far. It warms my heart to talk about episodes 7-8-9, even if some people seem to be INCREDEBLY pessimistic. We MUST, after all, learn to live with people even if their opinions differ from our own. Else we end up with a STUPID conflict like in the Middle-East.

My prayers, tonight, go to all those on BOTH sides who are uselessly suffering tonight. I'm sure SW 7-8-9 is NOT their main conscern right now.

24. GORILLA

Mar 21, 2002
    BOnes, I feel very strongly about episodes 7, 8, and 9 as well. I don't consider myself a geek, but I am a passionate fan. I too have so many unanswered questions and desires after I saw ROTJ way back in '83 and I won't be fully happy until Lucas answers them. That small part of my childhhood you already spoke of.

25. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Sep 23, 1999
    Cool, man. Everything you just said, I agree with. (BOnes) I too have been waiting for the sequel trilogy for a long time, and am sort of obsessed with learning as much as I can about it, even if it never comes out. See, GL DOES have a notebook of "The Further Adventures..." of Luke. It'd be sad if he just quit his life's work with a third of it unfinished. Ever since I saw RotJ I wondered what happened after, and collected whatever info I could on it. I started to write my version of Episode 7... only to realize that if GL was to make an episode 7, it would disregard mine (which consisted of all the ideas I've seen in my head of what could happen) and tha tmany other people were making their own fanfilm Episode 7's.

Then I remembered the old plan that there'd be 12 films... :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.