Mayday! Mayday! Pirate ship in distress!

Discussion in 'Santa Cruz, CA' started by Kai_Vandekar, Jan 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kai_Vandekar Jedi Master

star 4
    I am cross-posting this from my livejournal, as I know some members of the SCFF are pirate fans. I, myself, have sailed aboard the Royaliste - I did so fairly extensively for about a year - and I am horrified to learn of what happened. In the off-chance anybody here feels strongly as well, I wanted to get the word out about what has happened and what we can do to help.

The Royaliste is the real deal, she's a gaff-rigged top'sl bomb ketch reconstruction, and has been used in reenactments of the Battle of Ticonderoga, as well as being Gary's pirate ship in Sausalito and more recently down south. She is a beautiful wooden tall ship, and has brought joy to the hearts of many.

[image=http://scendan.com/mcneeceroyalisteicon.jpg]

- Kai

-----------------

MAYDAY! MAYDAY!

No, seriously...we've got a ship in distress!

For anybody piratical who has NOT already heard, The Royaliste, beloved ship of Gary, pirate vessel used many a time by the Tales of the Seven Seas pirate group, has gone DOWN.

Everyone aboard her got off safely, but the ship struck something (a pinnacle, perhaps?) that sent her safe 40' of water to 4' so quickly she had no time to maneuver, even with her depth finder. She was hulled and is currently in water up to her scuppers. Gary, who lives aboard her, and his SO, are effectively homeless. They need help getting The Royaliste raised and repaired, not to mention help just making ends meet during this hard time. Gary has, for years, offered his home, his ship, to people wanting to experience a genuine tall ship. He's done it free of cost except a request to help with fuel, and has given freely of himself (he's quite a cool pirate).

Now, he could really really use our help. I am include a Paypal address that money can be sent to, if you're inclined to help. Every little bit, no matter how small, can make a difference. Details below provided by Claire Britton-Warren, leader of the Tales of the Seven Seas group:

------------------------------------

Ahoy pirates,

At the time of this writing, Royaliste is still aground and the captain and crew are still working to free her. Gary and Kathy Bergman, the owners/captains lived aboard full-time and have lost nearly everything that was aboard. Insurance coverage on a vessel of this type only covers liability, so as I understand it, absolutely none of this is to be covered by the ship's insurance. Gary and Kathy are faced with the tremendous financial burden. In addition to the initial recovery of the ship, they will be faced with haul-out costs, repair and replacement costs not to mention the costs of hotel rooms, clothing and personal care items.

The Royaliste operates as a non-profit and she desperately needs the assistance of everyone who can make a donation to help with her recovery. No donation would be too small or too large and every donation is greatly appreciated. Please spread the word of her difficulties to anyone who can help.

Donations can be made through the Privateer Inc website support page: The PayPal link is up and can be accessed here: http://www.privateerinc.org/support.cfm

News of the Royaliste is being kept up to date on the Tales of the Seven Seas website forum. My husband Bob was serving aboard as crew when she went aground and has the only surviving cell phone. He is keeping me updated with information and I'm posting it immediately on the website as it comes in. Up to the minute information can be viewed here:

http://talesofthesevenseas.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=9911

Royaliste has long served the pirate community. Gary and Kathy have been extraordinarily generous with Royaliste for many years. They have made her easily accessible to anyone that expressed a desire to learn the art of sailing a tall ship. Now this beautiful ship needs our help. Please spread the word and share this information with anyone and everyone who can help
    her.

Sincerely,
    Claire aka Poison Quill
    Royaliste's San Francisco crew Quartermaster, Helmsman and Foredeck Hand

2. Master--Kenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Just in shock over this...and yes, I was one who was hoping to get to go aboard her as Captain Jack...and I know how much she means to you, personally, Kai.

NP posting this here, and will see what can be done to help.

Also, make sure you get this in the SFCC forums...lots of "Pirate People" over there as well.

Common, Mates...let's help out our fellow Pirates and a Beautiful Lady in distress!!!!
  3. Kai_Vandekar Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks, glad it was ok to post this here. :)

- Kai
  4. Master--Kenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    /\ ABSOLUTELY!!!!!! This is important!!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.