main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Maz Kanata deleted scene shows her amazing power

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Millennium Falcon 888, Jan 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Okay, now this is new... I may have had my comeback (after 30 years since ROTJ) rescuing Rey and Finn from the doomed SKB, or even helping them escape from Jakku but this takes the cake - who would have thought that mild-mannered, wise woman Maz Kanata had such awesome powers? I just wonder why the producers had to cut away this scene - maybe it would overly-lengthen the screen time of TFA to over 2-and-a-half hours?

Looking forward to the release of the Blu-Ray release of "The Force Awakens" later this year then! ^:)^

http://www.businessinsider.my/maz-k...awakens-2016-1/?r=US&IR=T#0Hl8r5KycMV3rVMO.97

2. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    What is the canon status of these? Shaak Ti's deleted death scenes didn't count, right? Is there an "if it makes the Blu-Ray, it happened" rule?

3. littlewaves

littlewaves Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2008

I don't think so. I reckon if it's cut then it's cut. For all we know it may have been cut because they decided that it didn't happen after all.

dolphin, Sitara and Avnar like this.
  4. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Either it was deleted for time, or they decided not to reveal that Maz can use the Force, or they decided she wouldn't have the ability to use the Force at all. It makes Rey and her awakening more special.

Sitara likes this.
  5. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    I learned something today: Not the First Order destroyed Maz's castle but she herself brought it down. Can't blame her, that should be her prerogative. ;)

MeBeJedi likes this.
  6. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    IMO, it is canon that Maz knows the Force, as she said to Rey after the vision: "I'm not a Jedi, but I know the Force".

So she knows the Force, and is 1000 years old. I think we can be safe when we assume she can make 1 trick or two using the Force.

"I'm not a Jedi" means only that she has not dedicated her life to the Force, the same as Leia...

7. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    If you're going to keep up this Milli Falcon persona of yours to discuss the deleted scenes, all I'm saying is that it's gonna be really interesting when we get around to discussing how in one scene you have two snowtroopers inside you at the same time... :eek:=P~=D=

But seriously, folks... ;)

[​IMG]

8. Millennium Falcon 888

Jan 6, 2016
    Ah, so that's yet another scene from the Deleted Scenes... I wonder why some of these were removed from the main film - continuity issues maybe?

Sent from MillenniumFalcon AI using Tapatalk

9. -Jedi Joe-

-Jedi Joe- Jedi Master star 2

May 6, 2013
    While continuity is certainly a factor, the main reasons scenes get cut are relevance and pacing. If a scene is not deemed essential to the plot and feels like it slows the film down, it will get cut.

In the case of the snowtroopers on the Falcon, that scene would have been inserted during the fast-paced rescue on Starkiller Base. It would have killed any momentum built up during the sequence, therefore it was cut.

In regards to the topic at hand: The scene where Maz crushes the stormtroopers would have been cool, but there was no further development to the character. That scene, in context with the rest of the film, would have been flashy and extraneous. I think it was the right move to handle Maz's force-sensitivity in a more subtle way.

10. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    hmmm, if they decided that Maz cannot use the force, then maybe they also skipped the idea that Finn can use the force and would be trained by Maz. Or they kept the reveal for VIII?[face_dunno]

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  11. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    I dunno....I think that would have been a pretty impressive scene, and a nice coda to her character in TFA.

12. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015

I would not say that they decided that Maz cannot use the Force. Maybe they just think it was adding nothing to the pacing of the movie, and them deleted it from TFA, but maybe she will be back on EP VIII and IX.

13. Bacbacca

Bacbacca Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2011
    Did she use the force or did she bring the place down by giving it the evil eye?
    Or is she an earth bender?

Then they walk into her place there's a statue on top of her looking all awesome. Maybe thats cause she was some sort super hero before.

14. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    They do hint that she has some connection to The Force. "I am no Jedi, but I know The Force." perhaps they cut it for pacing reasons, or they intend to come back to it in Episode VIII (Lupita has been confirmed to return I believe).

I could see Luke and Rey needing to seek out Maz's help at some point, and it being revealed that she and Luke know each other (she did seem to know quite a bit about him and Anakin in TFA after all).

15. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    more proof of msw.

16. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I kind of like the idea that there are FS characters who just, for whatever reason, have little interest in becoming full-on Jedi or Sith. It makes the universe a bit more varied/interesting.

17. Pliolite

Pliolite Jedi Master star 3

May 3, 2014
    I think they cut this because...the movie was long enough as it was, and also, seeing a display of power such as this takes away from what Rey does later on. Abrams made the right choice, and I'm sure we'll get to see at least some of the cut material, just for completion's sake. :)

18. Poor Greedo

Poor Greedo Jedi Master star 2

Nov 6, 2012
    Let's consider her age. We know Yoda was 900 when he died, and this little lady is a little older than he was/is. That puts her in the galaxy through all 7 movies and a CONSIDERABLE amount of time before them. As a smuggler I could only imagine a)how she obtained Luke's lost light saber b) obtained the SAME CRATE Obi Wan stored the weapon in during ANH and c) the amazing adventures she has seen in her long life. So much history and potential for stories around this character. She's awesome.

19. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    Who said it was Obiwan's crate? The visual dictionary sure doesn't.

20. Poor Greedo

Poor Greedo Jedi Master star 2

Nov 6, 2012
  21. ForgottenMaster

ForgottenMaster Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    I think it makes sense that in an entire galaxy, not every being who has the ability to tap into the Force is a Jedi. Who knows, she could have been a Jedi for a hundred years, then quit.

Vindaxxus and Ricardo Funes like this.
  22. Millennium Falcon 888

Jan 6, 2016
    Now Maz is definitely another interesting character whose backstory needs to be further explored in Episode 8 - especially stuff like her previously unknown hidden powers!

Sent from MillenniumFalcon AI using Tapatalk

23. Forceuser707

Forceuser707 Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 23, 2015

Nonsense.

Come on. If these scenes were fully realized on film then they were initially intended to be in the story. You don't shoot full blown movie sequences which cost untold amounts to produce unless you meant them to exist in the narrative. That's why extended cuts are often considered better than initial theatrical releases.

And I can tell you my main gripe with TFA is that it feels too short and you can tell it's been trimmed for time. The final third of the movie kind of falls apart because of this. The post lightsaber battle sequences all seem short, especially the escape sequences (non-existent in some cases). It's a real shame because honestly during the first act I felt we were looking at cinema gold. The truth is it looks like they spent a lot more money making the movie than what ends up on screen. We see very little of the Star Killer base for example and it seems very localized and compact. No vast vistas like we saw in the original Death Star.

I would be interested in seeing that original 2hr 40m cut of the movie and I am sure at least half of the people who saw TFA in theaters would be too.

24. Gordonai

Gordonai Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 26, 2014
    Maz will e revealed as being Yoda's sister, mother (Yoda, I am your mother), is wife, even Yoda himself in disguise.

Yoda's a small green alien. Maz is a small green alien. She wears glasses and , like, once somebody puts on a pair of spectacles they become unrecognisable right? See Clark Kent aka superman.

Maybe she is Yaddle, the High Council Jedi who is in ep1 but not 2 and 3. Goes into hiding to preserve the Jedi after the Sith have run rampage.

Sitara likes this.
  25. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    In the movie we got, I am very far from taking Maz's words at face value. Her saying she knows the Force counts for absolutely nothing. Maybe she's powerful with the Force; maybe she's just a crazy old lady from a species that lives for a very long time. The movie does nothing to prove that anything she says is correct. Vader, Obi-Wan, and Yoda all get moments of Force use to prove that they know whereof they speak. Without one of those moments, I reserve the right to consider Maz's dialogue nothing but "hokey religion."

So the inclusion of a scene where Maz uses the Force, for me, would change her character quite a bit. The Maz we got might be anything or nothing. She has no credibility. I feel like the movie wants me to treat her words with respect; they spent the money to make her and the time to give her a speech that has no particular direct payoff, so you would think someone intended her to do something other than spout nonsense, right? But as it is, if Rian Johnson wants to come in and establish her as a harmless kook, there is absolutely nothing standing in the way of that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.