main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Lupita Nyong'o (Maz Kanata) in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by cerealbox, Dec 12, 2017.

1. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Will she return to be the elder statesman in the group?

Since they're lacking those now

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    Only if she explains how she got the lightsaber and why she was stupid enough to scream "HAN SOLO!" in a room full of scum and villainy.

Jamtia, Alpha Cloudleaper and sethg like this.
  3. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    She was ok in 7, but just terrible in 8, so not thanks

4. grungebunny

grungebunny Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 20, 2005
    She only had one scene, hard to do anything in one scene. She's still a charming eccentric. As for elders, still got Lando!

5. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    She's unnecessary

Parparamia likes this.
  6. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    If I was Nupita i'd stay well out of it, the character has been totally wasted. I doubt we'll ever get to see how she acquired the lightsaber in IX, it'll be left to the EU. Without Holdo and Leia no doubt she'll magically appear to lead the New Rebellion, she'll probably have gone to the Outer Rim and is one of those Leia mentioned.

7. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Loved her in TFA. Her being reduced to a holo cameo in TLJ is one of the view let downs for me. Hope she has a bigger role in IX.

8. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Maz will lead a brigade of porgs to the rescue at the end of the 45 minute battle in IX.

Revanfan1, Seagoat and Darth Smurf like this.
  9. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    I wouldn't mind to see her again in IX.

10. kevsmith987

kevsmith987 Jedi Youngling

Dec 14, 2017
    Original Character I really liked in TFA supirsed they couldn't find a bigger role for her in TLJ.

possibly helping the rebels in the next instalment

FilmAccountant and dekaneas like this.
  11. Lord Miggler

Lord Miggler Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 6, 2013
    I would have ratger they kept her out of 9 altogether thats scene felt so shoehorned in and forced. If they can wrote her in an interesting way that serves the story then fine if not then im fine with her not being In it at all. I really want the focus to be on Rey, Finn, Poe and Kylo. You've still got plenty of side characters in Hux, Rose, chewie etc then add the Knights of Ren for Kylo and maybe an apprentice for Rey and uou got plenty.

12. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    If she and Han were so close, there's a good chance she knows Lando as well. That could be his tie back into episode 9. Maybe we see Maz and Lando together briefly in 9. She could be on his ship in the final space battle, or they could both share a scene with Rey and Poe at a Leia funeral or something. IDK.

13. Kez-Iban

Kez-Iban Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    What's left of the Resistance is desperate, without ships, and apparently have been abandoned by their outer rim allies. Maz has a lot of contacts and might be able to help in all of these areas. I would like to see her have some more screen time so we can see what she can do with the Force and maybe even learn the story of how she got the lightsaber.

14. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003

I agree, I have had enough with Maz. The only exception is if we see her explaining how she persuaded Lando to come out retirement to provide some assistance to the Rebellion/Resistance.

15. Darth_Nubian

Darth_Nubian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 21, 2000
    I want to see her back as well, and the above is a good reason why they might go looking for her. Now that Luke, Leia, and Han are gone, and the rest are on the ropes, maybe she'll finally step into the light and help the "new" Rebels in their cause.

For someone, so spiritual and connected to the Force, who believes that the only true fight, is the fight against the dark side and evil, It boggles my mind how she spent her time during the Empire and then the First Order running a bar and now fighting for unions? Unless it's revealed that that is her Wayne Industries version of money making so she can afford to keep fighting the good fight. Anyway, I'm perturbed with how they've treated her character.

FilmAccountant likes this.
  16. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    She keeps her head low. It's probably the reason she's survived this long while other characters: Luke, Leia, Han, Bail and all of Alderaan, the entire Jedi Order including Yoda die out.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    Darth_Nubian likes this.
  17. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    Would be interesting if Maz knew them way back when and she appears in the Solo movie. I mean she’s been around a long time hasn’t she?

As far as 9, I’d like to see her leading in some shape or form. She was better off being a deleted scene from 8. Maybe I would have been better if she was just talking in a calmly manner but it really felt like an arcade game I was watching with that.

bluealien1 likes this.
  18. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    I think they did that to show that she was busy and couldn't answer Leia's distress call at the battle of Crait.

19. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    In all honesty she's not needed. I actually thought she was going to do more in TLJ.

20. Gemlake

Gemlake Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 9, 2015
    With the OT3 gone, Maz can fill an important role for Rey as a wiser, older force sensitive character. She can give Rey advice and encouragement, as she did in TFA. Of course, Luke as a force ghost could perform the same function, but he may be used for Kylo.

Darth_Nubian likes this.
  21. FilmAccountant

FilmAccountant Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 30, 2014
    Of the many things Rian seemed to reject of J.J.'s, the only one I'm disappointed with is his rejection of Maz. I don't know why there is so much hate for her. I thought she was a great character in TFA. I couldn't believe she just disappears after the First Order attack on Takodana. I really wanted to see her with her pirate friends on D'Qar helping to prepare for an assault on Starkiller Base, especially after her speech to Rey and Finn about the necessity of fighting back against the dark side. It would have also shown that the Resistance (as the Rebellion did) needs all the help it can get, even from strange bedfellows like pirates and smugglers, if it's going to attempt to take down a fascist military machine that outnumbers them 1,000,000 to 1.

So when she just has a 60 second appearance in TLJ fighting a "union" dispute (I'm assuming a pirate union), I thought that was a real waste.

I hope she comes back to IX in a mentor role to Rey, especially because she's a kind-hearted, benevolent Force-user who has never been a Jedi, and has never become addicted to using the Force to dominate others the way dark side users do. If Leia dies off-screen (maybe she passes away between VIII and IX and that's communicated to the audience in the opening crawl), it'd be great if she has formally joined the Resistance and lends her resources, network, and knowledge to the cause, while mentoring Rey.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    Darth_Nubian likes this.
  22. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Rian specifically left her out because he wanted the Resistance on their own in TLJ.

But out of all the Resistance's supposed allies, at least they took the time to explain why Maz couldn't help them.

23. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Okay, a possible end Space Battle in Episode Nine.
    Maz is Super Han Solo to the rescue.

Big space battle. Resistance losing. The countdown till the Big Space Laser blasts is running out. (Gotta have a countdown and a big space laser)

And the last moment, rousing John Williams music! A fleet a Space Pirates, all in weird random ships of all sizes and shapes, manned by all sorts of creatures in pirate outfits, hyperjumps into the scene and save the day. They can be boarding First Order ships, fighting with laser cutlasses. "Arrr. Arrr." Getting all Pirates of the Caribbean.

Or not.

Darth_Nubian likes this.
  24. FilmAccountant

FilmAccountant Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 30, 2014
    This is exactly what I wanted in TFA when the Resistance fighters were being decimated by Starkiller Base's defenses - pirates and smugglers and other scum to the rescue!

GregMcP likes this.
  25. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    I'd love to see if they could repurpose the Luke lightsaber scene with Leia -- where she's handing it to her -- for episode 9. But not sure how that would work. There's unused Leia footage.

Maybe they can repurpose it