main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST maz's planet and it's proximity to the capital system...

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by intravenusdemilo, Dec 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. intravenusdemilo

intravenusdemilo Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 21, 2015
    The capital system was Hosnian, right? Does anyone have info regarding Maz's planet? Is it in or near the Hosnian system? It has to be, right? The resistance could plainly see the red weapon striking the Hosnian system.

Related: Additional clarity regarding the weapon. I'm pretty sure they explained that it fires through hyperspace, correct? Starkiller base doesnt have to be parked in or near the system that's being fired upon.

2. Zev.Love.X

Zev.Love.X Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 13, 2015
    Dude don't go there. It will just end in dissapointment.

3. Strange Old Hermit

Strange Old Hermit Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 17, 2015
    Anyone have the galactic map? How far is Takodana from the Hosnian system? It is just a movie though, regardless of its proximity.

4. TurboPGT

TurboPGT Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 15, 2015
    "Its that bright blue one."
    "Where?"
    "Right there."
    "Oh yeahhhhh. But its so far aw........way"

5. Raz Zaphon

Raz Zaphon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2000
    It sure is bizarre. Takodana has to be part of the Hosnian system. Unless the laser simply passed through the Takodana system and that's what we were seeing.

This is totally on the list of things to try and watch carefully next round.

intravenusdemilo likes this.
  6. intravenusdemilo

intravenusdemilo Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 21, 2015
    I don't think the red beams had to "pass through" Takodana...but they definitely have to be darn close to each other. Adjacent systems.

I've watched twice. The second time I was looking and listening for an explanation. There really isn't one. But during the resistance briefing regarding starkiller base, they do mention that its a hyper space weapon. So, the thing doesn't have to be "near" the system its destroying. Plus, if it destroyed a particular systems sun, there'd be no need to fire the weapon. The system would die without the sun. So, suck up random stars and fire from light years away. It's a pretty cool idea.

7. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    According to my handy dandy visual dictionary, they are pretty far from each other, but right across going down the map.

8. Zev.Love.X

Zev.Love.X Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 13, 2015
    Nah. It's another plot hole. Just go with it. Takes like 3 1/2 years for light to travel across a single parsec (in terms of real world science).

9. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    My head canon says the beams were huge, light years long streamers of solar plasma and therefore visible from great distances. My head canon also ignores the speed of light and relativity. If you want Star Wars physics to makes sense, then the GFFA has to have different physics, because this doesn't begin to scratch the surface of problems in the entire saga.

10. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    It's Star Wars. It doesn't follow the laws of physics and never has. There's sound in space and you can see planets being destroyed from light years away. Just go with it.

ProfessorNutbudder likes this.
  11. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    Although they did say somethng about the weapon firing through hyperspace, so that "solves" a couple of problems.

dolphin likes this.
  12. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999

That has to be it. The hyperspace feature. No way they could build a weapon of that size, near a busy watering hole, without it leaking to the Resistance.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  13. Darth Saddius

Darth Saddius Jedi Knight

Dec 24, 2015
    Seeing the Starkiller weapon from Takodana is definately TFA's Hoth to Bespin moment. Pablo Hidalgo has said it could be seen because of the immense energy punching through hyperspace has created a massive distortion in spacetime...or something. So here's my suggested retrofit explanation (and would the Nobel physics committee please pay attention). The hyperweapon blast in travelling from Starkiller base to Hosnian Prime sent out an expanding signal through hyperspace at right angles from its direction of travel effectively at faster than light speed. Here comes the clever bit. When the signal encountered significant gravity wells i.e. a planet such as Takodana it droppped out of hyperspace into realspace (rather analagous to an Interdictor Cruiser pulling a ship out of hyperspace). The signal including its components in the visual spectrum then continues through realspace so it can be seen. Or something like that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.