main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

McCallum on Indy IV/Young Indy Series

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by eclipseSD, Oct 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eclipseSD

eclipseSD Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    McCallum: I think [Indiana Jones 4] will be 2005. We're going ahead with the Young Indiana Jones DVDs; we are so committed to those. Even though the series wasn't a major hit here, it was a huge hit in the rest of the world. It's such a great opportunity, because what we're going to try to do is produce historical documentaries about each of the historical characters. It's a way of giving it to a school and saying, "Look, we know how hard it is to teach children. Try and use this as a tool. Let them see something that is fun for them and easy for them to watch." Hopefully, they can pick something that they can start to learn and watch another documentaries about the person and start to see them in the historical time.

We're having really great, great speakers talk about the time, what it means to fall in love--one episode featured Indiana learning how to make love with Mata Hari, slowly. And, you know, what it's like to be a spy, what it was like to be a woman at that time, what does it mean to make love and how does that affect social and historical issues.

It will probably take three or four years to get it done. We're hiring some really great documentary filmmakers.

2. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999

Great news, but I'll believe it when I see it. Even if they're working on getting these Young Indy DVD's together to release, considering how much time it will take and considering that the Young Indy show didn't do that well here in the U.S., I will be pleasantly surprised if these actually make it to DVD.

Just out of curiosity, where did this quote come from? I believe it's real, but I just wanted to know where it was taken from - Thanks!

3. eclipseSD

eclipseSD Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    www.videobusiness.com

4. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Up, to save from the autolocker.

5. gator

gator Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 20, 2003
    this thread has drank from the Holy Grail

6. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Oh, my whole family watched all the Young Indiana Jones series when it was on :D We're a bunch of fanboys and girls (we named the dog Indiana too ;) ). I'll have to check into those DVDs :D

-sj loves kevin spacey

7. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    I'm looking forward to it. I didn't watch it regularly but always thought it was very good. The extras sound very interesting; I like the idea of a little history lesson. I hope they do something like that with the Indy movie dvds.

8. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999

Not to be a cynic, but I'll believe it when I see it. If anyone wants these on DVD, I do - I watched the whole series when it was on, and also have seen the VHS tapes of the series that were released several years ago - I was dissapointed when they didn't release all of the episodes on VHS, especially the ones that never made it to the U.S. (the Dracula episode and the Kafka episode).

However, I just don't know how an audience will be out there for these DVD's, especially if they're all in one expensive set. If the VHS tapes werent' popular enough to sell and had to be cancelled before they released the entire series, why does anyone think the DVD's will be any different? The only way I think they may be released on DVD is if it's done in a set, and it's in very limited quantities....but, I hope I'm wrong!

9. Captain_Typho

Captain_Typho Jedi Master star 5

Jul 30, 2003
    I was young but I was living overseas at the time of young indy. It was a bigger hit in England. I remember watching every episode and loving it. The Dracula episode was the last episode I remember being aired. It will be good to have the whole series on DVD!

10. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Well it shouldn't be a problem. After all we get DVDs released of old TV series and even recent ones that were short lived. The "genuses" at Fox, which cancelled stuff like the great family Guy and Dark Angel , because of "low ratings" just got released on DVD.

Maybe this has to do more with Lucas and Spielberg and their dealings with Paramount, which in part prevented the release of the DVDs if I remember right.

11. Laserschwert

Laserschwert Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 25, 2001
    Though I am looking forward to those DVDs too, I hate McCallum being excited all the time. It's like he gets up in the morning, and everything is GREAT. Then he has breakfast, and it's just FANTASTIC... lunch is AWESOME and dinner is INDESCRIPTABLE. C'mon, Rick! Tone it down JUST A LITTLE TAD!!

12. Bid4Tuna

Bid4Tuna Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2003
    i dont think indiana jones will be very young in the next movie, in fact i think he will be just the oppposite!

13. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Laserschwert, seems you haven't heard other producers right ;-). I mean Joel Silver would make any producer look tame and quiet. Some producers like to babble and hype up endlessly like Silver, while some are quiet. McCallum is in the middle, sure he is a bit vocal but at least not demeaning or loud like others. On the other hand I find Silver quite funny because all the crap he says, I'm almost sure he believes it himself.

Others I found surprising, it now seems that Brian Grazer has entered the fray of speaking unnecessarily.

14. gator

gator Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 20, 2003
    I hate McCallum being excited all the time. It's like he gets up in the morning, and everything is GREAT. Then he has breakfast, and it's just FANTASTIC... lunch is AWESOME and dinner is INDESCRIPTABLE. C'mon, Rick! Tone it down JUST A LITTLE TAD!!

he is promoting a product after all

15. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    I'm bumbing this up so a similar recently created thread can be closed.

16. GORILLA

GORILLA Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 21, 2002
    Will the 90 year old Indy intros and exits of the original episodes be put back in or not? Personally I liked the very old Indy segments. How about the rest of you?

17. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    Never seen 'em. :(

18. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    I hope they are put back in as well. I want the DVD release to have the single episodes instead of editing two episodes to form a tv movie.

19. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    Couldn't they probably put 2 episodes on a disc and, via seamless branching, let you watch the episodes or the edited "movie"?

20. Lukecash

Lukecash Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    I wouldn't be surprise if they eventualy DID release this Series in DVD format.

It's a popular thing- and I would gladly pay for it. I do hope they include the 90 year old Indy, that would be sweet. In fact, I never did see the Harrison Ford episode...this would be my chance.

21. GORILLA

GORILLA Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 21, 2002
    The Harrison Ford episode was great. It was titled "Mystery of the Blues". It was a 2-part episode that originally aired in March 1993. Harriosn Ford took the place of the 90 year old Indy for the intros and exits. Ford's scenes take place in 1949 Wyoming, when Indy is now 50 years old. Indy was born in 1899. Ford is having a little mini adventure himself at the beginning of the show.

The 2 episodes themselves, with Flanery as Indy, take place in Chicago of April 1920. Throughout both episodes we flashback between Ford and Flanery as Ford narrates this particular story of his youth to an old Native American that he's traveling with. At the end of the second episode Ford beats the bad guys that are after him, wins his little adventure, and we get to hear the all too familiar Raiders March at the end of the show. Truly an excellent show.

It should be noted that Ford in these episodes does not yet have the eyepatch that the 90 year old Indy wears. Apparently Indy loses his eye after the age of 50. If Indiana Jones 4 takes place in the 1950's, as is currently speculated. We might get to see how Indy loses his eye.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.