main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

McCallum talks Episode 3 running time on OS...

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Luke_Clone, Jul 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luke_Clone

Luke_Clone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Q: Any chance we'll see a grand, epic, three-hour-plus Episode III?

A: Right now George is thinking it will be the traditional Star Wars length of two hours.

I hope this isn't redundant and I don't think it is a spoiler either. :)

2. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    No it isn't a spoiler, nor is it much of a surprize either. I had only assumed that the film would be the same length as all of the others. :)

:cool: Mace Windy,
    three years, doesn't it just blow you away!?

3. Luke_Clone

Jun 15, 2002
    Phew! :) That's good I didn't want to post something on here that I wasn't supposed to post.

Personally, I think that Episode 3 will have a similar running length to Clones. :)

4. Mandalorian_Warrior

Mandalorian_Warrior Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 19, 2002
    Yes, I am sure that it will have the traditional star wars running length in the ballpark of 2 hrs 15 mins, give or take a few minutes like the others.

5. Queenie Amidala

Queenie Amidala Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 7, 2000
    I would never have expected EP3 to be any longer than normal SW film running time.

Over 2 1/2 hours and I would be extremely (yet, pleasantly) surprised.

So, just like AOTC, we'll have to hold out for the extras on DVD.

6. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    I'm sick of deleted scenes, and having to wait for the DVD. Most of AOTC's deleted scenes actually helped the film, at least on paper anyway.

7. Luke_Clone

Jun 15, 2002
    I'll bump this so people don't have to scroll half way down the first page just to see it. ;)

8. Queenie Amidala

Queenie Amidala Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 7, 2000
    Oh, I agree, Pooja. There are a great many scenes in AOTC that I believe should have been left in. But, on the other hand, I understand why they couldn't be. The film had to flow. It's already over two hours. That extra hour of footage had to be cut.

So, we wait for the DVD. IMO, it's better than nothing. At least we get to see the scenes.

9. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Just curious- Was AOTC the longest Star Wars yet? My dad seemed to think so when he saw it, and I agree. Too bad it was too short as it is. :(

Oh, and I would love a 2 1/2 hour EpIII. :(

10. Luke_Clone

Jun 15, 2002
    I would also like that Sithman. :) 2 1/2 hours sounds great to me but it may be a bit long for the casual movie goer. ;)

11. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Harry Potter did fine at 2 1/2 hours. It broke all of TPM's records.

It'd work.

12. Fingorfin

Fingorfin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2001
    AOTC is the longest Star Wars film at 2 hours 22 minutes. I expect that Episode III will be about the same.

13. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Thanks, I thought so. :) Most of the OT ones (ANH and TESB) are almost exactly 2 hours, right?

14. Fingorfin

Nov 7, 2001
    Run times listed on VHS boxes (in minutes):

ANH: 124
    ANH(SE): 125
    ESB: 128
    ESB(SE): 127 :confused: :eek:
    ROTJ: 134
    ROTJ(SE): 135
    TPM: 133

15. Mace Windy

Jul 3, 1999
    One of the best aspects about remaining Spoiler-free is having no idea about what scenes were deleted as you first watch the film.

Pooja, I don't know how spoiled you were for AOTC, but I've heard that knowing of all of the deleted scenes as you watch the movie really takes away from your enjoyment of the film.

That brings me to my point. You claim that many of the scenes which were deleted could really help the story, and that may be true. However, on my first viewing of the film, I understood it completely, which therefore, makes those scenes unessesary for our enjoyment and understanding.

Do the delted scenes help the film? Possibly. Probably, in fact, but in my opinion, not nearly to the extent that some people would like to believe....

16. Fingorfin

Nov 7, 2001
    I was spoiled rotten for AOTC, and knowing about the deleted material did not affect my enjoyment of it at all. I agree that some of the stuff works well on paper, but sometimes it does not work as well in the film because it slows down the pace too much or breaks up a tense sequence. Even if the scene works well on its own, sometimes the movie as a whole is better off without it.

17. Emperor_Dan

Emperor_Dan Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 1999
    Knowing about some deleted material *did* affect my viewing experience :(

18. ami-padme

ami-padme Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 19, 1999
    I agree with Windy...all the talk about the deleted scenes has made me glad I was (mostly) spoiler-free for AOTC, and makes me defintely want to do the same for Ep. III. I don't need to watch the movie worrying about what I might be missing, or how it was edited, or waiting for something that isn't there. Better just to watch and enjoy, and get the extra scenes as a bonus later on DVD. :)

19. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    The only real full scene that was deleted was a sequence with padme's family that was horrifyingly bad.

However, there is some cool small stuff, like a scene where Padme is captured (which I hope is on the DVD, it's so reminiscent of ESB).

20. Harlowe Thrombey

Harlowe Thrombey Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 19, 1999
    For some reason, whenever we talk about the deleted scenes from AOTC people tend to think that more is better. Like Windy said, that's not necessarily the case. A lot of the scenes I've heard people talking about sound like they would only be interesting to the hard-core SW fan (everyone here.)

This is how I feel about the extended edition of The Fellowship of the Rings coming out this November: as a fan of the books and series, I will enjoy and appreciate the extended edition, but I'm sure that the shorter version is the better version.

Like Coach Dale said in Hoosiers "I was hoping you would support who we are, not who we are not." (Sounds like something Yoda would say! :) )

21. Joey7F

Joey7F Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2000
    Apparently both the Mace / Jango fight and the Yoda Dooku fight were chopped to a fraction of what they were originally.

Both of those could stand to be longer! Especially since Lucas said that Sam Jackson might have the best fight scene for the MTV movie awards. That was not near enough to qualify. Yoda vs. Dooku on the other hand...

BTW Mace when did you get your colors?

--Joey

22. DarkLord_of_theJedi

DarkLord_of_theJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 1, 2002
    We'll probably get extended versions of these duels on the DVD. But i'm guessing that the fact that there wasn't any intercutting between the duels and something else also gives us the impression that they were shorter.

23. MachinatingMachiavel

MachinatingMachiavel Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 1, 2002
    But there seems to be an awful lot that has to take place in Episode III. I'd love a three hour, and it might actually flow better depending on how much content he has to throw in there.

And since when do DVD's ever include any GOOD deleted scenes? Or any deleted scenes of substantial length or interest? I doubt the AOTC deleted scenes DVD will be good at all.

How were TPM's? I haven't seen that on DVD yet.

24. Mace Windy

Jul 3, 1999
    For the most part, the deleted scenes from TPM were no good either. Although, I do recommend you checking out The Dawn Before the Race if you want to see what quite possibly could have been the worst scene in cinema history. ;) [face_laugh]

25. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    "Remember R2, we want to have the shiniest pod in the race!"

[face_puke] [face_upchuck]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.