main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

McCloud Rode Off Into The Sunset Today

Discussion in 'Archive: Santa Cruz, CA' started by Master--Kenobi, Feb 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master--Kenobi

Master--Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2003
    Well, we lost our third one today. Again, waking up to someone else I knew leaving us.

Dennis Weaver..aka Chester on Gunsmoke and McCloud passed of cancer. He was 81. I had met him numerous times through various western events I did when I still Trick Rode. The funniest OPPS story I have is when I first met him.

It was a HUGE funraiser for one of his favorite charities (I can't remember which one now) and he was coming up as guest speaker, while we Riata Ranch Riders were going to entertain with our trick riding. Welllllll It was a buffalo feed, fresh-killed BBQ, and the head and hide were being auctioned off as a separate fund raiser. He arrives a bit late, here is this huge pile of Buffalo meat, and the head and hide sitting on the table next to it....

Nobody bothered to find out that he was a Vegan for moral and ethical purposes. It was a bit..um.. Testy for a while. LOL Major mistake on the part of the people putting it on.

Dennis had no idea that they were going to slaughter a buffalo in his honor and they had no idea he was vegan. Years later I can look back and laugh. But at the time, it was unbelievably akward. [face_blush]

I got to see him numerous times after that.. a very passionate man regarding his belief in saving Mother Earth. I adored him. Still do.

Someday I'll see you at the next Performance, Enjoy your new range to ride in.

(On another note...this is getting old fast..Hopefully no more people I know passing ...at least for along time....)[face_worried] :_|

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.