main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

meaning of holograms

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darthdias, Jul 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darthdias

Darthdias Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 12, 2004
    Something struck me the other day. The Sidious/Palpatine holograms seem to show the increasing power of Sidous, and maybe his rising ego as well.

In The Phantom Menace, Palpatine was a mere Senator. His Sidious hologram here appears to be normal zized, the same as the neimoidans and Maul that he is speaking to.

In Revenge of the Sith, Palpatine is now a powerful Chancellor who is gaining more influence for every day. His Sidious hologram now seems much larger when he's speaking to Grievous and Gunray. It's also stationary.

Finally, in The Empire Strikes Back, Palpatine is an Emperor. The hologram is now ever bigger than in ROTS, bordering on enormous. I think it's kind of an interesting sign throughout the saga of how his power is growing throughout the movies. It also seems as if his ego got a bit out of hand, judging by the hologram in Empire.

Am I seing things that aren't there, or do you think Lucas had a similar thought here?

2. Delorean_Kenobi

Delorean_Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Mar 14, 2003
    Perhaps the giant hologram that we see in 'Empire' is meant to be a psychological tool for Palpatine to display his superiority over Vader. Everyone else, prior to him becoming Emperor, sees Palpatine/Sidious as life size.

It could also be seen as a sign of his growing confidence and arrogance.

3. Darthdias

Darthdias Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 12, 2004
    That's one way to look at it, but I'd think that any imperial talking to his hologram (if they're high ranking enough to even get to talk to him in the first place) would be talking to the same enormous hologram as Vader did. It is a display of his arrogance, I think.

I could have sworn that the hologram in ROTS was bigger than a normal one, especially when talking to Gunray. But maybe not.

4. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    At the end of ROTS when he's telling Vader to deactivate the droid armies, I think it's bigger than typical and in the style of the ESB hologram, but smaller.

5. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005

Interesting observation. I will toss something else in here. Perhaps it was not a reflection of his ego, but a reflection of the transition from the sleek, cultured, low-key Republic to the Monsterous, utilitarianist, in-your-face display of power the imperials used. TPM/AoTC = Smaller Spaceships, Smaller Holos. RoTS/OT = Death Stars, Star Destroyers, Huge Holos.

It seems Palps really thought bigger was better....in all regards. "Our ENORMOUS space station got blown up? Hmmmm, then build one BIGGER! Duh! And from now, I want my holo to be the size of a Bantha."

Carnage

6. Delorean_Kenobi

Delorean_Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Mar 14, 2003
    Also I think it's relative to the size of the room where the hologram is being displayed. The giant Holo in 'Empire' is in a room big enough to house it whereas the other holos are in smaller, more confined places.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.