main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Meaning of lightsaber colors

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by darklordoftech, Jun 23, 2014.

1. ATMachine

ATMachine Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2007
    This is exactly what I meant. The audience are supposed to wonder if Luke could possibly turn to the dark side, and subtle visual cues like a new saber color keep that question in the back of their minds. Obviously Luke hasn't fallen yet at the beginning of the film, but it's definitely meant as a possibility, as we see when he Force-chokes that Gamorrean guard.

thejeditraitor and Vthuil like this.
  2. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    anakin would have done it and he was selfish and turned to evil. he would have gone there and killed everyone to get padme even if he was a sith.

3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Lucas originally intended Luke's uniform in ROTJ to be what the Jedi wore during the era of the PT. It only changed to Obi-wan's robes for the final film with Anakin's ghost and then in the making of TPM.

4. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    correct. until ep 1 came out we didn't really know what jedi wore.

darklordoftech likes this.
  5. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    No way. Red for Sith, blue and green for Jedi. Too many colors is tacky. Mace's purple one is the one exception but that was actually Sam Jackson's own idea. Personally I don't like all the other colors in the EU. It's like I said, tacky.

What I love is the colour use during the duels. It's not complicated, but I like it:

Obi Wan vs. Vader & Luke vs. Vader = Blue vs. Red. (Good vs. evil)
    Luke vs. Vader in ROTJ = Green vs. Red (Experienced Luke prevails)
    Qui-Gon & Obi-Wan vs maul: All 3 colours (Master & apprentice vs. evil)
    Windu vs. Sideous = Purple vs. Red. (Even the most unique colour seen couldn't defeat him)
    Anakin vs. Obi Wan = Blue vs. Blue (Friends fighting each other)

thejeditraitor likes this.
  6. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    In that case, how do you justify Jedi getting both blue and green?

7. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    I never said that Lucas should have used many colors. I said that I found his use of lightsaber colors simplistic (from a moral point of view) and erroneous.

8. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
  9. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    I wonder if the Purple denotes ambiguity. Since Purple is both red and blue together, it can represent Jedi Knight and Sith. Could this mean that Mace Windu while loyal to the Jedi had Sith tendencies? Windu did use Vaapad, which is typically a Sith saber form. If Purple could represent a blend of Light and Dark Side, then it is the perfect color for Prodigal Jedi Revan and The Chosen One (Anakin Skywalker) himself.

twowolves likes this.
  10. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    There have been occasional dark-side users in the EU who used purple lightsabers, I believe - even in the post-TPM era where it was clearly established that red was the Sith color. Ditto a couple of other "ambiguous" colors like yellow that don't actually appear in the movies.

11. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    It would be kind of Disney and Abrams to set a standard for the colors. Make it simple, blue and green mean Jedi, Red means Sith, and Purple is for Gray Jedi and Dark Jedi.

12. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    The standard (for the movies) was established since RotJ and confirmed in AotC. "Good guys are green and blue, bad guys are red. That's just the way it works." Mace got purple, but that's it.

13. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Well TCW changes that a little. The Jedi Sentinels have yellow and that is not explained in the series, which is canon. Also, there is a Clone Trooper who uses a black bladed lightsaber.

14. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    Because It's just enough to keep it interesting I suppose. Plus they're both feel-good colors found in nature more than any other colors. They both seem just as appropriate for the good side to me and I don't think I'd be able to decide on one over the other. I don't think yellow works because it looks to much like a regular light. What other main colors are left? Orange = too close to Red for the Sith. Pink = ugh. Black = perhaps for the Sith but you can't really have a black light. It turns out purpleish or would have to have another subtle hue to actually glow.

Kato Sai likes this.
  15. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    There was a user who remarked that the colors bring out the natural tendencies in sentient beings (in our case human beings). Blue and green are calming, which is more in tune with the Jedi Code and their cause for keeping peace, while red incites aggressive feelings and thus fits more with the Sith. Someone else has already said this, but it is worth reciting again.

Anakins_Real_Father likes this.
  16. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I personally find red more calming than any other color.

Kato Sai likes this.
  17. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Intriguing! You break the convention darklordoftech! So now I shall have use the statistics and say, red usually incites aggression, but this is not the case for everyone. :)

Edit: And if you think about it fires in a fire place or pit calm you and can even make you daze/sleepy. Flames contain red, orange, and yellow; so that puts the theory on its knees right there.

darklordoftech likes this.
  18. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    he's a mando who stole an ancient jedi saber not a clone.

rumsmuggler and Alexrd like this.
  19. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    you are in the minority. Red is the color of blood, and because of this it has historically been associated with sacrifice, danger and courage

20. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Yellow is explained by Filoni wanting them to have yellow and hoping that Lucas didn't care enough about it to change to its original green.

It's a mandalorian, and the darksaber is supposed to be ancient (a prototype of sorts).

thejeditraitor likes this.
  21. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    I like the three primary lightsaber colors in the OT, i.e. red, blue, and green. IMHO, most other colors just don't look that great on-screen, and/or are hard to make out.

I'm glad we got a green lightsaber in ROTJ, I think that's a great color for 'sabers, and they continued with this in the PT. My understanding was that this was done because the blue lightsaber was hard to see when Luke was using this against the blue sky during the sail barge battle...

That being said, I don't mind Mace's purple lightsaber in AOTC & ROTS - interesting color choice, and it's nice that the back-story behind this is that, IIRC, purple is SLJ's favorite color (his character also wore purple in the interesting 2000 film Unbreakable).

Sarge likes this.
  22. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    There are no other colors other than blue, green and red (and Mace's purple).

23. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Which doesn't make sense. How is it erroneous? The Jedi get their crystals from Ilum which produces blue, green and purple crystals. The Sith just have a trunk full of red ones. Pretty simple and not erroneous.

Jedi Sentinels are still Jedi, hence they pick yellow crystals from the Temple on Ilum. If the animators had gotten caught by Lucas, it would have been changed to blue or green.

Iron_lord likes this.
  24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Crystals are all the same colour before the Jedi put them in lightsabers, in The Gathering.

25. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Slight correction: before the Jedi holds them.