main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mech/Robot Costume

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Lord_Horus, Feb 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Horus

Lord_Horus Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 7, 2006
    I'm planning to build a Mech costume for a Star Wars fanfilm. However, I'm stuck for ideas.

I doubt if I can incorporate any mechanisms into it. However, I do have access to abundant amounts of cardboard, high density polypropelene and small, thin metal plates. Any help on how to construct this beast would be greatly appreciated.

btw I'm planning on giving it a final height of around 2.5-2.8 metres.

Lord Horus

2. navarre1095

navarre1095 Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2005
    HDPE can be formed in a 220-250 degree oven. At about 20 minutes it becomes as pliable as wet leather. to make complex curved armour shapes like knee and elbow cops , I've dished a stainless bowl out so that its perfectly round on the bottom. I throw the hot plastic into the bowl and then shape it with a large aluminum fencepost finial. when you've got it to the right shape throw it into some COLD water to set the shape. I made my last set of S.C.A. armour out of some old black chemical barrels. It cuts like wood and is impervious to full contact combat. As far as the cardboard goes I've seen some killer TRANSFORMER costumes made from hotglued cardboard.

3. King_of_Skulls

King_of_Skulls Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 29, 2006
    Not sure if this is something similar as to what you're looking for, but I thought it was a neat costume when I first came across it a while back. I'm not crazy about the helm and it could use some attention to details, but for what it is, I think it's possibly a nice starting point to add to.

MechaWolf Costume Link

4. navarre1095

May 21, 2005
    That is way cool! Foam would be a great material. Pink styrofoam sheets would also work. I've done some killer tombstones and obelisks for my Halloween graveyards. It's totally sculptable.

5. King_of_Skulls

Jan 29, 2006
    Yep, I like the bulk of this costume. The helm really turns me off though. I've thought about making some changes to the basic setup though, something of a battledroid type helm or such.

6. Lord_Horus

Lord_Horus Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 7, 2006
    Anyway to reinforce cardboard? A mech suit of the kind I'm planning can have a fair few HDPE parts, but too many will weigh me down.

Lord Horus

7. darthlrrp

darthlrrp Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 19, 2005
    WOW! King_of_Skulls--that looks really great--awesome job

dl

8. navarre1095

May 21, 2005
    You'd be surprised at what you can do with cardboard. SIU in Carbondale Illinois has a cardboard boat regatta every year. the boats have to be constructed ENTIRELY of cardboard and support a full-grown human occupant.

9. King_of_Skulls

Jan 29, 2006
    I didn't build that one =) So I can't take credit for it. I made one similar to it (and based off the design) for Halloween a few years back though. The guy who created 'MechaWolf' is really helpful, so if you're into building one I'd drop him an e-mail.

The foam is pretty easily acquired from most fabric shops, or you can order through foam and mattress shops. I didn't bother with any electornics or such so my costume was fairly inexpensive (couple hundred bucks, but I had some left overt stuff from earlier projects to cut costs).

As for helping add structure integrity to cardboard.. I dunno, maybe backed by some light weight wire to make a frame would work. I think the cost and time would pass the foam build however, but I'm not sure.

10. navarre1095

May 21, 2005
    You might also have a look at some of those interesting shaped styrofoam pieces that your stereo, monitor, cd player etc are packaged in. you can add alot of detail for no cost.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.