main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Medical Professionals of the JCC

Discussion in 'Community' started by rumsmuggler, Jul 22, 2016.

1. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    vin gets credit for the idea of starting this thread since there isn't one. I am currently working on getting my RN and I should be finished in May(BSN and Master's will happen in due time). Who else here is training, working, or retired from the medical field? Medics and Corpsman count too.

2. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    While I currently don't work in the field, I did some amazing volunteer work with a nursing home during 8th grade.

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    While I was in high school I had a job at a local vets as kennel help (to begin with) and then an assistant. I got to assist in minor operations, x-rays, etc. The worst was having to assist in euthanasias though. :( On the whole I found the work very interesting. Nowadays you probably need a degree to do this but this was back in the 70s.

4. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    I've been learning which common yard weeds will lower blood sugar and treat Lyme disease.

5. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Sounds like you need to update your username to drvos.

6. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000

That's pretty interesting. Other than the euthanasia, that sounded like a fun job. They would never let a high schooler assist to that degree today in a vet clinic as far as I know.

Nice. That's a handy skill to have.

7. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    I've been watching medical procedure videos on YouTube. I guess that kind of makes me like a doctor now too.

Dr. Vin

KissMeImARebel and rumsmuggler like this.
  8. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000

If it was only that easy...

9. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    I've fixed so many things around the house just by watching instructional videos on YouTube. Medicine can't be too different.

10. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    It's not. They say it is to keep more people from attempting it, thus driving up the price of healthcare. It's just another way the establishment keeps the masses in line.

11. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Don't push too hard.

12. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Even though I seem to say this all the time, I'll say it one more time for good measure. :p

I'm a Registered Respiratory Therapist. I primarily work with adults, currently I work in a CardioThorasic ICU (heart surgeries.transplants, lung transplants, etc.). My previous job I worked for 4 years in adult and pediatric burns, which is what I love. I'm working on a BS in Public Health at the moment, hope to get my MPH eventually.

I'm also on the federal Disaster Medical Assistance Team (DMAT). My team is on call 3 or 4 months out of the year and if there is a disaster anywhere in the world that requests medical assistance we get deployed to that area.

13. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000

To a certain degree it isn't different, but sometimes you want a legit person fixing stuff.

14. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    True dat - but if anyone needs a pipe fitted, vin's your plumber.

I once went to a chiropractor, and after a few sessions, started giving people neck, and back adjustments, based on what the chiropractor had done to me. I've not paralysed anyone so far. I'm not charging people for my services, I just like it when it clicks.

I was also briefly an amateur acupuncturist. I'd had it done professionally once, then bought some needles off ebay, and used them on friends and family.

Healing people just comes naturally to me, as does sadism.

15. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I test lab specimens from humans. Thank you sick people for my paycheck.

rumsmuggler and Juliet316 like this.
  16. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000

Good stuff...nothing wrong with a thin line between healing and sadism. :cool:

Keep up the good work.

Darth Punk likes this.