main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Medieval :Total War

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by medleyoz, Jan 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. medleyoz

medleyoz Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    I was thinking of getting this. Is it any good.
    What is the turn based map part like?
    how much control do you have in 3D battles?

thankyou for anyone who answers these questions. I read the IGN review but I would like the opinion of other gamers.

2. LordJedi

LordJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 15, 2001
    I haven't had a chance to try it myself, but you can find a demo of it here.

As soon as I get some time, I plan on trying it out. It looks very sweet!

3. Chaotic_Jedi

Chaotic_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 20, 2002
    What platform is this game on?

4. tenorjedi

tenorjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 17, 2000
    Okay, IMO this is one of the best strategy games ever. I don't know where to start really. It's like Shogun TW but with alot more units and types. Most factions have nation specific units. IE Ireland has clansman, England has Longbowman, Vikings have....well vikings etc. Then they have region specific units. IE Europe has their unit types while the ME has troops that fight better in desert terain. Religion plays a bigger role. The pope enables crusades, and excommunicates agressive catholic nations so you have to balance out your aggression with spies and assassins. You can even have inquisitors and Jihads.

Graphically M:TW is not much different from Shogun, however Rome TW (in developement) looks to be a huge leap forward in graphics. Still it is a very pretty game. I don't have enough time to go over how good this game is. If you like strategy games and even RTS's I think you'll love this game. The options, replayability, the AI, the fact that there actual motivations behind an ally stabbing you in the back. It's awesome. For more info you can check out Shogun, Medieval, and Rome at totalwar.com.

[image=http://www.totalwar.com/community/images/2attack.jpg] Shogun battle pic

[image=http://www.totalwar.com/community/images/game3.jpg] Medieval Battle pic

[image=http://www.totalwar.com/community/images/game4.jpg] Medieval turn based map.

[image=http://www.totalwar.com/community/images/br1.jpg] Rome TW battle pic

[image=http://www.totalwar.com/community/images/br6.jpg] Another Rome battle pic

Oh yeah, this is for the PC btw.

5. LordJedi

LordJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 15, 2001
    The best platform ever of course: PC

:)

6. tenorjedi

Aug 17, 2000
    Stupid thing won't edit

What is the turn based map part like?

Well if you look at the map below you can see that there's providences. Each one can potentially build buildings and units. Some have resources for better armour, generals, special troop types (EI Scotland for clansman) or trade. You build up your armies and your providence. You attack when possible. If you leave too few troops in a providence they can rebel, especially if the enemy has spies in it. Generals are attacted to their units so you have units, assasins, missionaries, emmisaries, daughters for marrying, inquisitors and spies. Some buildings take 1 year (turn) to build some take much longer. Your king ages as do his heirs. If you run out of heirs, you loose. If your heirs are all uncles or the heir is inept you can have a civil war on your hands, but this tends to be rare. I'm just beggining to touch base but it gives you alot of options but does not bog you down with micromanagement and you do not have to utilize every type of unit to be successful.

how much control do you have in 3D battles?

Complete untill the unit routes. If your unit is surrounded and their moral is low (some units such as peasants will route very easily) they'll run away. You can always attempt to rally them of course.
    Some units like knights will charge without orders, but if you give them an order they will follow it to the letter until they route. Battles can take a long time as the game progresses and both sides have alot of reinforcements but if times a consideration they computer does a somewhat decent job autocalcing the battles.

7. medleyoz

medleyoz Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    thanks for all your help.
    i love Age of Empires so I should like this right.
    I also am a huge medieval war fan

Just a Q on the Turn based thing. How does that work like do you only get to build a building then it's the computer's go then your go where you train some soldiers then the computer's go? hOw does that work exactly[or kind of work you don't need a 10 page essay]

Once again thanks for all the info.

8. tenorjedi

Aug 17, 2000
    Everyone is essentially taking their turn simultaneously` You make your moves, hit the end turn button and the comp updates every factions moves for that turn.

9. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    hey whats the requirments by the way???

10. tenorjedi

Aug 17, 2000
    Medieval
    Processor Type: Intel® Pentium® II processor, AMD Athlon? processor

Processor Speed: 350MHz

Operating System: Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows Millennium Edition (Windows Me), Windows XP

System Memory: 128MB RAM

Hard Drive Space: 1.7GB

Video: DirectX 8.1-compatible, 16-bit

Sound Card: 16MB, DirectX 8.1-compatible

Drive Type and Speed: CD-ROM 4x

Additional Requirements: Windows-compatible mouse
    keyboard
    Required for multiplayer: Intel® Pentium® III processor, AMD Athlon? processor, 28.8 Kbps modem

It will need about 2 gig free on the HD so you may have to delete some games you're not playing but it's well worth it.

I play on a 566mhz, 32meg video card and it runs quite smoothly. I played Shogun on a 400mhz and 32 meg video card and it played quite well with that.

Now Rome? Who knows but they claim it will not require much more system resources than Medieval. We shall see when it comes out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.