main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Meesa Jar Jar Binks (New Chuck Wendig novel)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth_Voider, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Today, Del Rey announced a new Star Wars novel written by Chuck Wendig, author of the Aftermath Trilogy.

https://jedi-bibliothek.de/2017/04/del-rey-chuck-wendig-meesa-jar-jar-binks/

Meesa Jar Jar Binks is written from the Gungan's point of view and will bridge the gap between the Prequel Trilogy and the interlude chapter from Aftermath: Empire's End. In the book, Jar Jar will tell the child Mapo, which he encountered in Aftermath: Empire's End, the story of his life.

The novel will be entirely written in the unique speech of Jar Jar Binks. There's already a preview:

A 12-hour long audio book, read by Ahmed Best in Jar Jars voice, will also be released on the same day as the novel, probably in March 2018.

2. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Well, that smells stinkerwhiff.

3. Anakin.Skywalker

Anakin.Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2016
    OMG, too funny.[face_laugh]

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
  5. Anakin.Skywalker

Oct 11, 2016
    What's sad about Gungans is that they wouldn't be half-bad as a species if it weren't for Jar-Jar.

6. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Well and their leader is kind of an idiot as well.

Anakin.Skywalker likes this.
  7. Anakin.Skywalker

Oct 11, 2016
    That's true, but it would have been better. :)

8. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    Holy crap that is too hilarious.

Anakin.Skywalker likes this.
  9. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Apart from Jar Jar, I actually like the Gungans, though. The TPM-era Expanded Universe did a very good job of expanding their culture.

10. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Taking Jar Jar from only the movies then he is a terrible character. However adding in things he did in TCW he is somewhat redeemed.

11. Anakin.Skywalker

Oct 11, 2016
    I didn't know Jar-Jar was in Pocahontas and Brave. :p [face_laugh]

vncredleader likes this.
  12. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I would probably read it. Not sure about the audio book though, 12 hours of listing to Jar Jar? :p

13. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I still like the Gungans a lot. Boss Nass too. I want to know what happened to him after RotS.

Jedi Princess likes this.
  14. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    He teamed up with Gurgi and together they solve wacky mysteries.

15. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004

How so? What forms of media/book titles focused on them?

16. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    If you combine Ryder Windham's Ep I Adventures, the video game the Gungan Frontier, the lore from Galactic Battlegrounds, and that from the Wizards of the Coast RPG, you have a pretty detailed image of what their society and culture is like. (Also add the lore from Complete Locations, of course.)

SWpants, Jedi Princess and Iron_lord like this.
  17. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004

None of which I've read or played. Thank you! I will keep those in mind.

18. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Captain Tarpals wasn't too bad. He seemed somewhat competent at least. Too bad TCW killed him off (but at least his death was impressive).

19. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Boss Nass made freaking Jar Jar a "combat general." That alone makes him an idiot.

Anakin.Skywalker and SilentGuy66 like this.
  20. Valryk

Valryk Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 27, 2016
    Implying he isn't a Sith who hides in plain sight by playing the clown.

Anakin.Skywalker and SilentGuy66 like this.
  21. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    Thankfully this was a joke, JJ was horrible in TPM, pretty funny in TCW, but definitely not worth reading.

22. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    Doesn't look like it will be as good as Bib Fortuna and the Rise of the Dark Falls. But might be worth checking out anyways.

:p

23. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

Well, I think that was more of an honorary position. I don't think Boss Nass actually meant Jar Jar to lead the troops.

24. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    I actually just watched TPM again yesterday morning. It continues to rise in my ranking of how much I enjoy and appreciate the SW films. I completely unironically consider it to actually be one of the most complex, well crafted, logically consistent, and polished of the films. Yeah, there's some clunky moments with the kid. Yeah, Jar Jar understandably grates on many as much as he annoys the characters in the film (my kids are still really entertained by him as they also realize how awkward he is). But all the time and prep that went into the film really reflects in the amount of careful parallelism and meta-commentary George worked into the script (First the Neimoidians tell Amidala, 'You Assume Too Much', and then Amidala finds herself frustrated and repeating the same to Qui-Gon on Tatooine. And of course Qui-Gon's prescient observation that "There's always a bigger fish," and more). It's not the movie most expected or wanted when they heard, "New Star Wars", but I think it stands the test of time MUCH better, structurally and in its writing, than AOTC or even ROTS.

Sadly, most had the bad experience of E1 messing with their expectations, and, not having revisited it since it disappointed them, their memories have often taken its recollections of things it didn't like to an extreme, and carrying with them the bad experience understandably don't even wish to revisit it, where many, I think, might find it to be better than they remembered (even though they will likely still find the kid awkward, and Jar Jar annoying).

25. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    A lot of people these days are saying that TPM isn't as bad as it seemed over 15 years ago. Now a days if someone is to say "Episode I-III don't exist" are generally a minority. I for one am glad for the PT hate to finally be dying down.

TFA, meanwhile seems over the past couple of years be doing the opposite. When it came out it was being lauded as the best star wars film ever while today the general consensus ranges from "Complete garbage re-hash" to "It was ok for a first try.

Personally, I think Finn can just be as bad as Jar Jar sometimes. When I first saw the film I found him funny now I find his jokes a little to "marvel" for my star wars.

Nom von Anor likes this.