main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Meet #11 || August (Cookout - Goddard Park)

Discussion in 'Archive: Providence, RI' started by idarii, Aug 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. idarii

idarii Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2002
    august's meet will be saturday, august 9 - cookout and games

we will be having a cookout at goddard park in east greenwich. the price for renting a table and fireplace is $2.00 per day which is easily covered. i am thinking the meet time should be the usual 12 noon. i'm going to take a drive down there tomorrow and scope out a good central meeting place, which i will then post.

games, frisbees, and plastic lightsabers are all encouraged. i have at my disposal SW trivial pursuit, as well as the epic duels game (which is alot of fun). and i have 3 lightsabers of various colors and styles

we have a few options as far as food goes. we can either:

a) have everyone bring what they want to eat (and anyone coming a long way, e.g. from mass., who is afraid of food spoiling can have someone here buy it and pay them back), or

b) have one or two people get the food (i do not mind) and have everyone pay an even amount, perhaps $5 or $10 depending on how much everything comes out to.

so, thoughts on how we want to do the food thing? ideas for a rainy day backup? anyone need driving directions to the park? :)

2. DarthLucanas

DarthLucanas Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2003
    I would like to go just need the driving directions.
    And let me know what I can bring to help.

Also I do have a good size cooler if needed.

3. Jeffbacca

Jeffbacca Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 14, 2002
    Most definately going to be a great time.

I have gotten permission to borrow my grandmothers bbq grill if needed.

I think the best bet would be for a couple of people to go shopping and everyone just splits the cost...then split up any of the food that is left over. *shrug* But then we would need to know who likes what. Tricky this is.

4. idarii

Jun 25, 2002
    okay i have sufficiently scoped out the park today. before i share my findings, here are some driving directions:

take 95 south to exit 8 which is on the lefthand side. bear right off the exit and follow that road all the way down to where it intersects with route 1/post road (a few miles down). the light where you'll turn right onto route 1 is at the bottom of a steep but short hill. you'll then go through "downtown" east greenwhich, go past the blockbuster and dunkin donuts, and past the small convenient store on the left, there is a big, octagonal church on the right and across from that is a large green sign that says goddard park. take that left and follow the road for about 2 miles until you see the park entrance on your left.

if anyone who is driving needs my number in case they get lost please feel free to PM me.

we should probably meet in the first parking lot, right behind the sign that says permit office/information. a coolers and that extra grill would be most excellent if you can bring them :) i can bring ice from right up the road.

i don't mind going to get some of the food and having people pay me back. heck i have a stop & shop practically in my back yard.

5. JediSaralyn

JediSaralyn Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    take 95 south to exit 8 which is on the lefthand side

I don't doubt your direction giving abilities, but it would be exit 9 that is on the lefthand side, it's also called Route 4.

6. DarthMoby

DarthMoby Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Hey! Just like there is no exit 26 going South on 95. I smell a conspiracy by someone to get us lost!

*hears a knock on the door*

Oh! No! It's them. They know I know! Well, they'll never take me alive!

*hears they got Krispy Kream*

Aight, I give up! But only if I get to have a doughnut! 8-}

7. idarii

Jun 25, 2002
    I don't doubt your direction giving abilities, but it would be exit 9 that is on the lefthand side, it's also called Route 4.

doh! true, true. that part is tricky, even for a seasoned veteran of interstate 95 such as myself :p

but after exit 9, you'd want to take 8, which is on the right - confused yet? :p

and ed i already apologized a million times for the exit 26 thing :p

8. DarthMoby

Apr 10, 2002
    Carrie, I'm sorry, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity. It was too good. [face_mischief] 8-}

9. Jeffbacca

Oct 14, 2002
    LOL that was extra funny Ed cause I was eating a Krispy Kream donut while i read that .

10. idarii

Jun 25, 2002
    oh i know i'll never hear the end of it, ed :p

*peeks out window*

if it rains, do we want to push this back to the 16th? i'd like to, for once, have an outdoorsy activity that doesn't get rained out ... stupid rain :mad:

11. DarthMoby

Apr 10, 2002
    I promise I will never mention it again. :cool:

12. DarthMoby

Apr 10, 2002
    Oh yeah, I almost forgot

*waves his hands toward the sky*

[Jedi Mind Trick]You do not want to rain on Saturday! You wan't us to have a picnic. You will warn us if the Ranger shows up![/Jedi Mind Trick]

There all set for Saturday, Yogi!

13. JediSaralyn

Aug 6, 2002
    Oh...I wasn't thinking of that exit 8....I get it now [face_blush]

14. idarii

Jun 25, 2002
    okay after some discussion with the boys, i think this way will be easier. i will pick up hamburgers and hot dogs and the appropriate roll products. maybe also some corn on the cob. moby has kindly offered to get chips and desserts. any other requests?

i think it would be fair to have everyone then pitch in a flat fee to cover the costs of food. and then that way no one will have to worry about lugging food, etc. maybe if you have blankets, folding chairs, coolers...they would make for a nice meet methinks. oooh! i'll bring my picnic basket again! :p

15. Meriwyn

Meriwyn Former RSA star 4

Mar 22, 2002
    If it rains definitely make it the 16th because then I can go :D

16. JediSaralyn

Aug 6, 2002
    Can I bring Chicken? :D

17. idarii

Jun 25, 2002
    mmmmmmmmmmmmm chiiiicken

18. idarii

Jun 25, 2002
  19. Jeffbacca

Oct 14, 2002
    Sara you must sacrifice that chicken to appease the rain gods.

20. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    But that chicken is too nice to sacrifice. I mean, for crying out loud, they bought us hot pockets!

o_O

21. idarii

Jun 25, 2002
    the chickens bought you hot pockets?? those are some hard working chickens!

if you have not joined us in our group chat this morning, we have decided that the storm clouds gathering in our skies look grim, and we have rescheduled this cookout for sunday, august 17 at 12 noon (weather permitting)

if it's still raining next sunday maybe we can all find something else to do, perhaps some bowling or the like. :)

cross your fingers!!! sorry we couldn't have this happen today guys

22. Essence

Essence Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 16, 2003
    Hmm, I be thinking...

Alright all, I am *very interested* in meeting you all bcause I think it would be cool to meet fellow SW fans. However, I suck at directions and I am terribly shy in new situations until I break the ice. Again, I think we all could have a blast, but I am relatively new here so I am looking for a bit of guidance. Newbie doesn't want to crash the party. So you have a specific place you'll all be meeting? What usually goes on at the meets? Anything specific I need to bring? Anything I can do to help is fine :) I just need a little...help! Thanks

23. idarii

Jun 25, 2002
    well we'd love to have you join us, kerri :) you wouldn't be crashing the party :p it's actually kind ofa good thing today got rained out cause i remembered things like drinks and cups (i have paper plates etc) and some condiments like mustard/ketchup ... anyone volunteer for those?

anyway, i digress. if you need help with the directions, just let us know. between sara and i (the warwick natives, although i just moved back here after 6 years) we can get you through :)

24. JediSaralyn

Aug 6, 2002
    You live back and warwick now, Carrie? cool :) ( and you know what else is cool, I figured you'd get a kick out of this...I'm using a mac comp right now... hehe :p )

I can bring mustard and ketchup, as well as the very unsacrificed chicken.

Kerri, I too was very hesitant about meeting new people, but everyone here is great and really nice. I hope that you are able to make it to the meet, we'd love to have you. :) :D

25. idarii

Jun 25, 2002
    yeah i moved back at the beginning of july...i miss providence already...haha and yes i am very very proud to hear that you're using (or were using) a mac :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.