main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Meet #11 || August (Cookout - Goddard Park)

Discussion in 'Archive: Providence, RI' started by idarii, Aug 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Essence

Essence Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 16, 2003
    Well, thanks. I appreciate all the feedback. I'll certainly try my best and start hyping myself now so I don't chicken out. But yeah, I will need some great directions. I still get lost in my home town. And I have been here for 17 years...Pretty amazing feat. Actually, I guess I am more nervous about getting lost and ending up in Michigan than being scared of meeting new people. I was too busy in high school with classes to drive and then in college up near Boston I never needed to drive. Now that I am a grad, I have a car and a license but not as "seasoned" as most people. So any help would be great!

2. Jeffbacca

Jeffbacca Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 14, 2002
    I did some skillful research and found the goddard park home page =)

Goddard Park!

check it out!

3. Essence

Jul 16, 2003
    Thank you very much. I used that site and did a directions search and stupid me is still a little confused. I've been to Warwick for job training before, so this shouldn't be all that bad. The highway part should be fine, but after that I might get lost. Any good landmarks for me to keep track of? Anyone else coming from MA?

4. DarthMoby

DarthMoby Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    I am coming from MA.

5. Meriwyn

Meriwyn Former RSA star 4

Mar 22, 2002
    Mwahahaha my evil plan worked! Now I can go to the picnic :D

6. idarii

idarii Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2002
    curse you and your weather machine!!

i'll get you, hey steve, if it's the last thing i do!

uhm as far as landmarks, the one that springs readily to mind (and i'm not being sarcastic here) is a massive green sign on post road (aka route 1) that says goddard park. you really can't miss it :)

7. Essence

Jul 16, 2003
    Massive green sign that says Goddard Park? That should help a bit...

Reason why i was asking if anyone was coming from Mass was for the whole landmark thing, but I think I am okay until I have to start taking exits. Am I pathetic or what! :) I am sure I'll get there even if it's after you all pack up

8. idarii

Jun 25, 2002
    maybe ed can post the route he'll be taking? i don't want to get involved cause i might tell him about imaginary exits :p j/k

mainly the thing you have to watch for is when you get into RI on 95 south, exit 9 is on your lefthand side ... then right after you take 9, you'll want to stay to the right and take exit 8 ... then take a right off that exit all go the way down to pretty much the end of the road (division road)...then you'll get to a set of lights (major intersection) after a baseball field on your left. take that right at that light onto route 1/post road (you'll go by dunkin donuts and blockbuster on your lefthand side as you go down post road)....and about a mile down that road is where you'll see the enormous green sign that says goddard park and you take that left and follow that down about maybe another mile, not even, and the park entrance is on the left. there's a little parking lot off to the left once you're inside, we'll all be there. i'll make a little sign that says rhode squadron :)

if that's still not clear, please don't hesitate to ask me to clarify. i'm a typical rhode islander when it comes to directions (as evidenced by my giving many landmarks :p)

but check this out! - 80 and sunny on sunday! let's hope the prediction is actually correct :D

9. Meriwyn

Meriwyn Former RSA star 4

Mar 22, 2002
    OMG a Dunkin Donuts in Rhode Island?? No way! ;)

10. citizenjohn

citizenjohn Jedi Knight star 5

May 4, 2001
    Meri

Thats like a rare thing up there

LOL :D :D :D ;)

John

11. Essence

Jul 16, 2003
    Hey thanks Carrie! I will print that and bring with me. That is sort of the thing I was looking for. Let's see how long it takes for me to screw it up. Ha :)

12. Essence

Jul 16, 2003
    Are we still on for Sunday? I heard it's going to rain...

13. idarii

Jun 25, 2002
    i lied, there is no blockbuster anymore....but the lefthand turn is right after sunnybrook or sunnyfield farms (convenient store)

as for the weather i've heard everything from showers to partly cloudy. there's actually an agenda (gasp!) and i'd like to discuss some stuff with the group ... so i say even if it rains we should still try and get together ... and if it's pouring there's always the bowling alley down the road ...etc...there are quite a bit of choices.

14. Jeffbacca

Oct 14, 2002
    Sounds like we should meet up at the park reguardless of weather. If its unsavory we could just go somewhere from there.

15. Essence

Jul 16, 2003
    Okay, I just wanted to check. Though, now I hear it's going to be beautiful so who knows!

16. JediSaralyn

JediSaralyn Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    There are things to discuss? I don't like the sound of that...what are things coming to when we actually need to discuss things?! :p

Hehe, I'm crossing my fingers hoping that it won't rain. :)

Come on...everybody now....

17. MonaLeia

MonaLeia Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 13, 2003
    And I have to miss this oh so important meeting! *pouts* Well, I'm officially yours in a couple weeks. Property of the Rhode Squadron. Heh. It will be lovely having a car... now I just have to not get lost. I can get lost anywhere.

Will you be briefing the absentees on this meeting afterwards?

18. idarii

Jun 25, 2002
    lol sara we're degenerating :p

it's not really terribly important, but i wanted to talk some stuff over. i'd be happy to post some minutes in this thread tomorrow evening :)

19. Essence

Jul 16, 2003
    Alrighty, I will be getting ready to leave later today to try and get to the park for 12. If anyone comes to the board this morning, be on the look out for me! I will be coming in a green Honda Civic! See you there!

20. idarii

Jun 25, 2002
    minutes - the following is a summary for those who were not present today:

1. we have started a treasury. all donations are completely optional, but we ask no more than $1-$2 per meet or every other meet or whatever you can give. again it's completely optional. it will go towards website fees, birthday cards, snacks/food for meets. jeffbacca is our new treasurer.

2. the t-shirts for the group were discussed and we took down what sizes people want. i will upload a little mock up soon so people who haven't been to the last few meets will have an idea of what they will look like. i won't place the order until everyone has a chance to say whether they want one or not.

3. interest seemed good for a once-a-month book/comic book online chat ... here we could discuss everything from good literature to the EU to comic books (SW and otherwise), and suggest books that we think others might find interesting. we'll work out the details soon.

4. docking bay 516 (long island fan force) is hosting an end of summer bash at their CR's father's yacht club in merrick NY on september 27 and we have been invited to attend. there's still a bit of time to think about whether you'd like to attend...

and that is pretty much it. we actually have some meets planned out in advance this time, instead of last minute, so we're rolling along :) thanks to everyone who brought coolers/grills/food today! it was a great time, and i thank you all for coming down - and kerri, it was great to meet you! welcome aboard :)

21. Jeffbacca

Oct 14, 2002
    Best. Meet. Ever.

I will do my best as new treasurer.

My first duty as treasurer will be: to make an easy to follow map and place all the money in one spot, marked with an X.

Then have a wookiee guard it. Hijinx insue.

22. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    Screw your wookie! The Sith Lords (and Lordesses :p) so totally 0wn3d you! :p

;)

hehe....

Wookie berserker...

Ah, screwit. Darkside wins. We all know that.

:p

:D

23. Jeffbacca

Oct 14, 2002
    Pffth...

Ask Darth Maul how well he is doing with that wookiee bowcaster bolt in his forehead!

24. idarii

Jun 25, 2002
    woah, hey now, let's not insult lord maul there. he was doing just fine until you knocked him off the table ... poor thing. he's been training alot, he's ready to make a comeback. [face_devil]

25. DarthMoby

DarthMoby Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    I heard Mace mutttering something about revenge and Chewie going on about how he doesn't need that dumb smuggler.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.