main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Meet #7 || April 2003

Discussion in 'Archive: Providence, RI' started by JediSaralyn, Mar 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediSaralyn

JediSaralyn Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    Build Your Own Lightsaber :D

The tentative date for this meet is the 12th of April...to keep with our (so far) second Saturday of the month schedule. We will be getting together to build a lightsaber...I suppose I should say handle for clarification in case anyone out there thinks that we have invented the laser sword type technology ;) hehe...or not.

Carrie has a bit of 9" and 10" piping left over which can be used for the handles...the other necessary parts used in construction would need to be purchased. We have three options for getting the materials needed.

1. Go shopping together on the day of the meet and purchase materials and then build later on in the same day.
    2. Go shopping together on a predesignated day before the 'official' meet day and purchase materials and then build the lighsabers on the meet day.
    3. Go shopping on our own and bring materials with us to the meet.

I think that choices 1 or 2 would be best considering that would allow for us to have someone with us who has ideas of what to get and what is needed. However, seeing as time issues may cause for this not to work for some people option 3 is there for a fallback.

...also, a lathe is necessary for the lightsaber construction. Currently we have no access to one, if anyone knows of an available lathe to use...please speak up ;)

So...discuss and let your opinions be known... :D

This will be a lot of fun ;)

An example of a constructed lightsaber

2. idarii

idarii Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2002
    i should like to add that a lathe isn't necessary, but helpful if you want to actually carve pieces out of the handle (i guess? i have never used a lathe before). my lightsaber (the one in the picture above) was made without a lathe, i just cut designs into the black matting. i also have alot of black matting/grip left over

3. JediSaralyn

JediSaralyn Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    not necessary....oops [face_blush]

4. Jeffbacca

Jeffbacca Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 14, 2002
    Is there any way you can make a rudimentary lathe...

*spacequest* =P

5. Jeffbacca

Oct 14, 2002
    oh yea btw..i would say option 1. Unless this would take too long. I say 1 because it will be hard enough to get everyone to free up this one day to get together. Let alone 2 days. And option 3 could get messy.

Although! Maybe! YES! If not 1...do a 2 and 3 combo. Those that can't get to the buying day. Make a list for them. So they can go by themselves. WOH!

Ok i'm done. I would like to get together for the buying either way ... i don't know whats going on with shopping list. I lose them or they get lost...and stuff.

6. Meriwyn

Meriwyn Former RSA star 4

Mar 22, 2002
    What a cool idea guys! That sounds like alot of fun :)

7. idarii

Jun 25, 2002
    hehe rudimentary lathe, how did i know that was coming :p

If not 1...do a 2 and 3 combo. Those that can't get to the buying day. Make a list for them. So they can go by themselves.

that is actually a great idea! maybe we could all go shopping for items on april 5 and post some of our great finds for those who maybe can't make it that day but want to come to the meet on the 12th and build.

edit - unless of course we want to start relaly early and make it an all day thing: shopping and building. it might be less overwhelming to split it into two parts though.

i also want to add that copious amounts of metal epoxy (and super glue for the rubber/plastic parts) make your life much easier when contructing a lightsaber :)

the only question remaining is ... wheresa we's a-gonna do this?

8. Dex1138

Dex1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 1999
    If everything is easily portable and the weather is nice, you could always go to the park at Roger Williams.
    Then when you're done, you can go test your skillz in the zoo ;-)

9. Domina_Tagge

Domina_Tagge Jedi Youngling star 1

May 9, 2001
    Hey :) I'm not going to be able to make it to April meets, I am pretty sure I will have family in town. Have fun!!

10. idarii

Jun 25, 2002
    the date draws nearer :p

i wanted to post a couple of links to get your creative juices flowing. i'll have some of this printed and will bring it to the shopping excursion.

link #1 - the big yellow box

link #2 - the padawan's guide to lightsabers

so we talked a little about this on the way down to long island, and we thought it might be best to split this into a 2-part meet - go shopping for a little bit on the 12th, and then get together again on the 19th to actually construct.

11. Jeffbacca

Oct 14, 2002
    Thanks for the links! Getting some ideas now. Can't wait for the meet.

12. starwarschick14

starwarschick14 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    Had this been an April 5th/12th combination as previously posted, I might have been able to go. The shift in weekends doesn't work for me. Hopefully I'll be able to catch you guys at the next meet.

13. idarii

Jun 25, 2002
    all right, another change of plans (don't kill me! :p)! this is the final schedule:

april 5th - home depot in warwick, we will go shopping for a little while for parts. i will bring a few lists of suggestions, but i winged it at home depot when making my saber and it came out pretty decent.

april 12 - roger williams park zoo, we will enjoy a nice picnic lunch and build our sabers outside. if it rains, we will move to an indoor location.

hopefully this new schedule is not too last minute, and will accomodate more people :) see you saturday!!

EDIT: forgot to mention, time for both dates is 12 noon, as usual. :)

14. Dex1138

Dex1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 1999
    You're welcome :p

15. Darth Dowe

Darth Dowe Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 1999
    I'll be there both weeks. :)

16. idarii

Jun 25, 2002
    this is a sign up list for next week (part 2) for the picnic. keep it simple, low cost, nothin' fancy. some ideas might be fruit, chips, something sweet, etc.

sara has kindly agreed to take care of bringing beverages.

i have plates, utensils, cups, napkins, etc. i can also bring bread and lunch meat/lettuce/tomato.

so sign up below this post with what you are able to bring. thanks!! :)

17. Darth Dowe

Oct 23, 1999
    I'll bring cookies.

18. Darth Dowe

Oct 23, 1999
    I cannot make it tomorrow. Because of the ice storm, the plane flight was cancelled. I must go to the airport tomorrow, and can't make it to RI. I will be there next Saturday (with cookies!), and I'll have my lightsaber parts, so be ready! :p

EDIT: Not a plane flight to RI (i'm not that rich!), but some other plane flight... :)

19. idarii

Jun 25, 2002
    lol tony arrives in RI in style :p

20. Jeffbacca

Oct 14, 2002
    Man you guys missed some fun. There was some dude with an afro that i may have enraged and also another guy with a mohawk.

21. Darth Dowe

Oct 23, 1999
    Ha ha! This was at Home Depot? :)

22. Jeffbacca

Oct 14, 2002
    Yup. Afro man was an actual employee of home depot. Mohawk dude was walking around with his family shopping. Man they dont' say anything about that in the commercials.

23. Darth Dowe

Oct 23, 1999
    What did you do to make Afro-Man angry?

Any specific types of cookies you guys want?

24. Jeffbacca

Oct 14, 2002
    Well he was off in the distance and the 3 of us (Carrie , Sara, and myself) were walking towards him. When the sudden urge to imitate Austin Powers lines hit me. "I said afro, don't say afro...Afro!!" That last part i kind of said alittle louder. I think I remember an echo in the store. Thats when afro dude looked in our direction. Oh no he's enraged. Carrie and Sara at that moment wished they hadn't invited me and they ran down an isle to excape the afro dude's gaze. That was pretty darn funny. =P

25. idarii

Jun 25, 2002
    afro man vs. mohawk dude, round 1

afro man uses the plasma rain, but mohawk dude counters with some interdimensional teleporting type thing. who will win?!?

as for cookies, i like chocolate :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.