main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Meet in the more southern (Portsmouth) area?

Discussion in 'South' started by lukesgirlie, Oct 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lukesgirlie

lukesgirlie Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2005
    Unfortunatly the majority of our members are unable to attend the MK meets, and as many of these members come from the southampton/portsmouth/salisbury area, would you be interested is having a meet? There are a few events nearby (NT, EH and general) or you could have a trip to see a film, museum or some other attraction.

Would anyone be up for this? And if so when would be a good time and what do you faincy doing?

2. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    If I could figure out how to work Trains I'd be there in a flash. Alternatively, I could hitch a lift :p

Don't have a clue what to do though :p

3. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    The train to portsmouth from salisbury is very easy. You get on the train for portsmouth harbour, if you get off at the stop before (portsmouth and southsea, iirc) I can meet you there and feed you tea as my flat is nearby.

4. major_phennir

major_phennir Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 2006
    Well you did all have the opportunity for a meet in Portsmouth a couple of weeks ago but nobody seemed interested then...

As for me, a meet anywhere in that area is great - any excuse to go back to Pompey is welcome :) But this time instead of just talking about doing these things lets actually do it. Set a date and stick to it!

5. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I wasn't living in portsmouth then and couldn't travel. :(

6. DarkStar_010

DarkStar_010 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 28, 2002
    I've not been on this forum for about 2 years, and just had reason to come back and just saw this now.

I'm in Portsmouth, up for a meet if anyone wants to :D

7. marte

marte Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    Hey DarkStar! nice to meet you! :)
    as for me, as I said elsewhere I'm busy until end of october, and am up for whatever afterwards :) it's probably gonna be a pain to get from Plymouth to anywhere but Bristol or London, so it doesn't really matter :D

8. lukesgirlie

lukesgirlie Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2005
    Welcome to FF-UK:South DarkStar :D

You'd be more than welcome at this ir any other meet. We have a number in MK as well if you're interested :)

9. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Is there going to be a meet?

10. major_phennir

Aug 1, 2006
    Hi DarkStar, welcome to the South :)

Anytime after end of October is good for a meet down in Pompey or thereabouts. Last time I was done there we did the Spinnaker Tower, which was good, although weather wasn't so great, which does make a difference. Other things to do are the Historic Dockyard, the link-chain walk around the harbour, harbour trip on one of the blue boats, cinema, bowling, pubs, restaurants, etc :) Even nearby Scumhampton, although I am loathe to admit it, has plenty to offer ;)

11. jamierichards

jamierichards Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2002
    a boat trip?
    can we go on a boat trip?
    can we?

12. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 8

Oct 3, 2003
    Only if it's a Gondola :p

[image=http://travel.taquitos.net/travelpics13/vegas-venetian-gondola.jpg]

With the funny-looking Gondoliers

13. major_phennir

Aug 1, 2006
    Okay are we actually going to organise this? What dates are best for everyone?

14. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    Let's get some consensus of who can make this area for meets, and then what dates people can/can't do?

There are a lot of meets between now and end of the year, I doubt I could make one in Pompy, but I'd do my best to try, to support you all :D

15. major_phennir

Aug 1, 2006
    I can do. Best weekends for me are 4/5, 11/12 November, 2/3, 9/10 December

16. marte

marte Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    hey,
    I hate to commit myself in fear of being publicly tared and feathered if I bail out, seeing that my job etc etc blablabla, but currently the 11/12 nov looks free for me. Gosh, I'm all excited just writing about it :p

edit: ARGH, never mind, that's the weekend when the little SciFi Con is here in Plymouth (see Meets and Events thread)

...anyone wanna come down? [face_batting]
    so 18/19 nov there's nothing in my calendar so far - can't say for december yet.

17. major_phennir

Aug 1, 2006
    I was thinking of doing the con in Plymouth but if we're going to do a meet in Pompey as well, I'd find it easier and cheaper to do the latter.

18. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    11/12 november would be good for me.

18/19 november is my birthday weekend, so I might be going home/to londong/getting drunk/etc.

4/5 november is good with me, I don't have any plans, but even if I do have a pub crawl I'll make it, and without a hang over too. :cool:

19. DarkStar_010

DarkStar_010 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 28, 2002
    Late in November is good for me too :D

20. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I propose the 25/26 november as the weekend of the meet. Is that good with everyone?

I also suggest that we meet at Portsmouth & Southsea station, it's on the train line going into portsmouth and I live nearby. Is that good with everyone?

21. major_phennir

Aug 1, 2006
    Unfortunately the 25/26 November is no good for me as I am due to be working that Saturday, I am changing jobs before then and so might be able to make that weekend but looks doubtful at the moment :(

22. marte

marte Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    I would, personally, prefer the 18/19 - I have to work the following weekend.

23. major_phennir

Aug 1, 2006
    I think I am probably going to have to drop out of this now as all my weekends in November are booked. Sorry!

24. major_phennir

Aug 1, 2006
    I thought the idea of doing a meet in the Portsmouth area was so that those who say its too far to come to MK, could have a meet nearer them. So why the lack of enthusiasm? I know I said above that I would probably have to drop out although if we can nail down a weekend then I will try and change my arrangements and make it along. There seems little point in doing so if nobody else is bothering to make this work :(

Come on lets see some enthusiasm! :)

25. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    This is proving to be harder than herding cats. :/

Everyone PM me EVERY weekend that you're available. I will then sort it out so that as many people as possible can attend. Hopefully it will be everyone, but I make no promises.

If you do weekends up untill the weekend before christmas but not including that weekend, that'll give us a nice long period to sort things out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.