main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Meet the aussies

Discussion in 'Archive: Salt Lake City, UT' started by soneil, Apr 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soneil

soneil Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    Greeting Utahns! Thought I'd pop in your virtual territory and say hi since I'll be visiting your real territory pretty soon. My wife (princess_lego) and I will be spending some time in SLC from the 14th to the 21st April. We'll be doing the standard tours of temple square, memorial building etc and we can't wait. I was thinking it would be great to meet up with some fellow starwars nuts while we're there.
    Just in case the idea of meeting some crazy aussies sounds scary, I'll tell you a little about myself. My real name's steve, wife's Susie. I've been on fanforce since it started (anyone here remember the old forums before fanforce moved here?). I was one of the original members of the western australia forums and was the first city rep there, though I've handed over that role now.
    We'll be leaving Australia in a couple of days and then we'll spend a few days in CA before coming to Utah. We'll probably drop in here from time to time while we're away so if anyone wants to catch up, post here. I'd love to have some locals to meet since we've never been there before. We'll probably catch up with a few old friends while we're there but it's always nice to meet more (and I've heard you guys like aussies ;) ).
    And feel free to drop in to our virtual territory on the west australia fanforce boards!

2. ondiv

ondiv Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 18, 2002
    G'day! You'll love Utah....it is VERY pretty in the Springtime!
    What brings you across the big pond to our humble little state?

3. SovereignKnight

SovereignKnight Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 17, 2001
    I think we should get together for some weak beer and good conversation when you're here. I'm always up for meeting new people. Let us know when you get into town.

:)

4. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    As long as the weak beer is of the root variety you can count us in. :) Basically we'll be there from this Friday night until the following Thursday.
    Reason for visit is just a holiday. No business or anything like that.

5. Marold

Marold Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 17, 2001
    I wish I was in town this weekend but I'll be getting back in on Sunday night from a well deserved vacation.

Are you planning on seeing the Joseph Smith movie while you are here?

6. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    Booked tickets for the thursday night after next (I think that's the 21st). 9pm session. Anyone else who wants to go along we could make that a mini-meet perhaps.

7. ondiv

Nov 18, 2002
    That would be FUN!! I haven't had a chance to see the film yet and I've heard such good things about it :)
    I'll see if I can make it!

8. Marold

Apr 17, 2001
    That would be great, I haven't been able to get over there to see it yet either.

9. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    Maybe dinner before and then the movie after. We were thinking of having dinner first at the restaurant in the memorial building. I imagine that might be a bit costly for a fanforce meet though so Susie & I could go there on another night and go somewhere a little more budget friendly with you folks before seeing the film. Most of our fanforce people are constantly poor. :) Of course if anyone wants to get together earlier in the week I'm up for that as well. We've kept our schedule fairly open in Salt Lake City to allow for flexibility since we might be meeting up with a couple of old friends during the week. Even an informal meet just to wander around the city with a few people during the day might be cool. Only solid plans we have at this point is skiing in Alto on Saturday, church on Sunday (though we haven't decided where to go to church yet) and we'll also catching a tabrnacle choir performance on Sunday. We'll be staying at the Plaze Hotel next to temple square.
    Anyway, we're just about to start the 6 hour drive to Perth where we'll catch planes to Melbourne, Sydney and then LA so it will be a couple of days before I'll check on here again. Look forward to meeting some of you.

10. SovereignKnight

SovereignKnight Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 17, 2001
    Hey... I'd be down to meet y'all next Thursday after this. I think I'm out of town Tuesday or Wednesday, but I believe I'll be around on Thursday. I profess I'm not really interested in a movie about Joseph Smith unless someone could convince me, but I could hang beforehand if it's a possibility. Anyone else wanna try and get something going?

11. saberwielder76

saberwielder76 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 13, 2001
    I'd be up for something. I'm not interested in the movie either, but getting together to hang could be a possibility.

12. Marold

Apr 17, 2001
    I'm free after 4 on Thursdays so I can do something in the evening.

13. ondiv

Nov 18, 2002
    I'm free after 4pm as well.

14. saberwielder76

Jan 13, 2001
    I'm free after 5 pm.

15. Trovan

Trovan Jedi Youngling

Feb 28, 2006
    Weird. My price goes up after 5:00.

Sorry. I couldn't help it. :D

16. Amber_eyes

Amber_eyes Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 22, 2001
    I'm available before 9pm on Thursday. I don't think there's any place to eat in the Memorial Bldg but there are places around there. Lambs is nearby or there's always the food court at ZCMI.

17. saberwielder76

Jan 13, 2001
    The Blue Iguana isn't far either.

18. ondiv

Nov 18, 2002
    So it sounds like there is enough of an interest to "meet the aussies" (that sounds like some sick reality show :p).
    How about we do the dinner before the movie thing, and then those who want to move on to the movie can do so.
    Sooo....it looks like pretty much everyone is available after 5pm, so what if we say dinner at 6pm, that way we have plenty of time to sit and chat before the movie.
    As for the location...I did a search on citysearch.com and it brought up all sorts of different restuarants and diners. I looked through them all and unless there are any other suggestions I'm putting in a vote for the Boston Deli. It has a wide range of different kinds of food, is inexpensive for those of us living on a budget, and has a nice atmosphere. It is located at 9 Exchange Place, just a couple blocks south of the SLC Temple.
    There was a suggestion for the Blue Iguana as well...is it still open? I thought it was closed :(
    So dinner at 6 pm work for everyone?

Here is the interest list-
    soneil
    princess_lego
    ondiv
    SovereignKnight
    Marold
    saberwielder76
    Amber_eyes

19. Jedi_Noghri

Jedi_Noghri Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 17, 2004
    Count me in too. [face_dancing]

20. saberwielder76

Jan 13, 2001
    So this will be Thursday the 20th at 6 right? That works for me.

Is the Blue Iguana closed? I hadn't heard. I admit that it's been a few years since I ate there.

21. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    Just arrived in salt lake city this afternoon. We'll be skiing in alta tomorrow (saturday) but after that our schedule's pretty much wide open. We're happy to go with whatever you guys want to arrange. An eat-meet at 6 sounds good. I'll trust your collective judgements on where to go. If anyone just wants to hang out any time before then that will be fine as well. Just send a message through. :)
    Oh, and Trovan, Do I get an out of town discout? :p

22. ondiv

Nov 18, 2002
    Anyone have the info to RSVP the tickets for the Joe Smith movie? I wanted to get that taken care of today...

Thanks! See you all on Thursday!

23. saberwielder76

Jan 13, 2001
    So has a place to meet at been decided? If I am able to make it, it would be kind of nice to know where.

24. ondiv

Nov 18, 2002
    well, I haven't heard any complaints about The Boston Deli, and there haven't been any other suggestions (other than your Blue Iguana one, which it is closed :( ) so I'm going to take the bull by the horns and say:
    This Thursday @ 5pm @ The Boston Deli

25. Amber_eyes

Amber_eyes Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 22, 2001
    Where is that exactly? What streets are near it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.