main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Meet!

Discussion in 'Archive: Scotland' started by JED1, Feb 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JED1

JED1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 1998
    OK guys this is my latest attempt to try and get this thing official. Is anyone up for a meet? I'm sure a good time would be had. Surely people getting together with a shared interest would be enjoyable. We're supposed to be a friendly people aren't we? I suggest a nice wee pub in Glasgow city centre for starters on a date to be arranged. Who's with me?

2. MrDankDonk

MrDankDonk Jedi Master star 4

Mar 28, 2001
    The Bunker, Bath St, would be ideal, particularly the sunken booths up the back. :D
    However, how many people will sacrifice a night of real-life to indulge in net-life remains to be seen.
    Couple of meets I threw together a few years ago got sixes and sevens ? but the problem is often not a lack of willingness, but the lack of a commonly acceptable date....

though I always found May the Fourth to be auspicious....

3. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    Once you get the meet(s) done, I can get on with the banner for you, I asked about it going up beforehand, but unfortunately you have to be official (ie having meets) to get one :(
    Let me know when I can start ;)

4. JED1

Dec 16, 1998
    Right, I really want to get this show on thne road, shall we say May 4th 2006 then at Bunker in Bath Street from 8.00pm. Actually it's the day before my 40th so a chance for an early birthday drink.
    My wife is a big SW fan too, so I'll get her to finally get her act together and register on the boards so that's two confirmed to be there (although that wouldn't really count would it?). I take it since you proposed the date and venue Donk, that you're in. That makes three!

So come on Scotland lets get this thing going! from little acorns eh!

Thanks Tim for the support! If this all fails I'm gonna ask for asylum in the North! [face_laugh]

5. MrDankDonk

Mar 28, 2001
    well, may the fourth has traditionally been the date when I stumble around sauchiehall st in a darth vader helmet, or get arrested fighting with a kendo stick wrapped in dayglo pipe insulate, on the clyde footbridge, so I daresay a quiet drink in bunker, minus the helmet, cannot be more embarassing [face_blush]

there are others I may contact regarding this event...

6. JED1

Dec 16, 1998
    Bumpity Bump!

Gotta keep this on top!

7. Cobar_Yik_Jedi

Cobar_Yik_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2005
    hay i would love to meet up wi u guys but unfortunatly my finances and wheelchair make it a bit dificult to travel. just had to buy a new motherboard for the pc and now it needs a new hard drice greedy pc its swalows my beer money lol

8. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    I was thinking today about maybe coming up to Edinburgh sometime this year, to see the castle and other stuff. Maybe for a weekend (which would like be Friday - Monda, using those two days to travel up and down). What would be the chances of people meeting up there for that then, get a scottish meet going?

9. MrDankDonk

Mar 28, 2001
    May The Fourth is THIS THURSDAY

I will be in The Bunker, on Hope St, from around 7pm, and will be moving on to Nice and Sleazy's, Sauchiehall St, around 9-ish.

10. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    Did anyone meet then on May 4th?

I know I was planning Edinburgh, but if you need some help in getting a few people at a meet, I can change my previous plan and do a Glasgow meet if you can make it happen. And as long as you don't mind an Englishman in the ranks (my mum's side is James, as in the clan who fought alongside the MacDonalds, though its a link far far back lol :p ).
    I am doing quite a few FFUK meets and cons this year, so I need to keep an eye on dates I can make.

JED1, I'll help with the pushing and promoting if you need it. There are plenty of Scottish posters on the JC, we just need to get them to agree to a clan meeting lol.

I'd be up for seeing a little of Glasgow in the day (heritage, shopping, etc), and pub and stuff in night. I should tell u I am veggie and tee-total lol, so I won't be attempting to drink you lot under the table, but I am up for a laugh and would be good to see the people on here. I will probs have to stay over in Glasgow, and maybe make it a Friday nite - Sunday day trip. So any takers? I haven't been to Scotland in way too much a criminal time! I need a little time to arrange it mind, so give me a little forewarning.

Fingers crossed Scotland can get a start :)

11. JED1

Dec 16, 1998
    Despite my plans, I didn't make it, we had a major storm that night and I ended up laying sandbags at my front door in case of floods instead of hitting town.
    I would be happy to meet up with you Tim on your trip if it's Glasgow, and if you promise you are not a Psycho, and don't mind roughing it a bit you are welcome to kip at mine! let me know!

12. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    Shame on the 4th meet, but bad weather always hinders stuff :(
    Excellent, if we can get a few others to agree to a meet up, then you have your first official Scottish meet in a while, and one step closer to officialdom - do you have access to the official Star Wars message forums? You may be able to find some more Scottish people on there up for a meet. I can post if you want, advertise this forum :D

I am bowled over by your generosity and offer of hospitality, but I would not like to intrude, so I'll book a hotel maybe this time. I am a strange cat that way lol (but don't take it as anything negative please), but seriously I am real happy you were kind enough to offer :D :cool: And ask around the regional, you'll find I am no pyscho lol! Far from it. But I am English I know, but we can't be perfect eh? :p

Dank, you up for this if we can get it official? I'll take a peek at Glasgow info sites soonish, just been a bit busy hence why I was slow to reply, sorry about that!

13. Hey guys,

I'm up for meeting in Glasgow, I'm in Edinburgh but come from there, so will be more than happy to join yas. If it's a weekend I'm sorted, I can crash at my rent's house and meet up no problem :)

Jonny

14. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    That's two official Scots Mr Jedi1 (and an Englishman, but they don't count :p ). Anyone else interested?

Glasgow info site - http://www.seeglasgow.com/
    There is a list of events on there, you have a mela coming up soon! Not been to one of those in years (long story :p ), but I doubt I can make the Glasgow one as July is going to be hectic for me.

Jonny - never heard the phrase before - where is "I can crash at my rent's house"? You mean folks? lol

15. stubacca316

stubacca316 Jedi Youngling

Jun 15, 2006
    Hey there

I'm new on here but would definately be up for a meet.
    I live just ousde Glasgow so anywhere in town would be good.

Stu

16. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    Excellent! Welcome to the boards stubacca316 :cool: :D
    That's three people, so if you all go then you have your first official FF-UK: Scotland meet. And maybe before Wales get one too haha. Poor Welshguy :p

Now you have to work out -

a) When?

Obviously weekends are always best, I'd say have a Saturday meet, people can go home on Sunday then.

As RSA I am keen to back all the chapters - I have the following weekends already decided upon for other meets, so they are out for me. If you want to do the meet without me anyways, that's cool guys. But you will need to have someone organising to some degree.

Sat 17th June - Sun 18th June
    FF-UK: Midlands 1st Birthday Meet.

Friday 30th June - Monday 3rd July
    FF-UK: London @ London Film and Comic Con. I am helping them on their table all weekend.

Saturday 15th July - Sunday 16th July
    FF-UK: North York Meet.

Friday 28th July - Sunday 30th July
    Joust! / FF-UK: South|North|Midlands|Wales @ Fantasy Events (Bristol)
    Hopefully getting members from all the active chapters.

Sunday 6th August
    FF-UK Grand Day Out at Sutton Park (Birmingham)

So that leaves -

24/25th June
    8/9th July
    22/23rd July
    12/13th August
    19/20th August
    26/27th August

and later ... September is busy again for mini-meets.

9th September is the TENCLO premiere btw - see here

b) What you going to do?
    It's a social meet. The question is, what do you want to do socially, aside for chatting on here you are all strangers just about lol. Something cultural/heritage focused. I presume a pub visit and a meal is already on the cards. I'll check out the Glasgow website above, see what is available, but I am guessing you guys know already lol ;)

Suggestions?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.