main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Meeting #15 (Bar-B-Q and Fun)

Discussion in 'Archive: Lafayette, LA' started by Ubigod, Mar 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ubigod

Ubigod Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jan 16, 2003
    We need to have a meeting before the next movie comes out. So regardless if the T-shirts are ready I suggest this for the next meeting.

I have on cassette the original radio broadcast of Star Wars A New Hope. There are 6 tapes in total. We can actually listen to them in one sitting or break them up into a couple of different meetings. Since it is starting to warm up, I am suggesting that this meeting be an afternoon bbq (or crawfish or some other food source) meeting. But the problem is that my apartment isn't the best for this type of gathering. So a member that owns a nice yard and porch is requested to donate them (especially if there is a rockin-chair on that porch). Also a sound system that plays cassettes is need too. I do have a small portable radio that would work, but I think one that is larger would be better.
    Since I do work offshore, I can let Swampsurfer borrow the tapes for the meeting, if I can not make the meeting.

So for this meeting we need:
    The cassettes: provided by Ubi
    Location, yard/porch: ??
    BBQ/cooking vessel: (hopefully provided by Location)
    Date: ??? What date is good for you?
    Lemonade: ??? U can't sit on a porch listening to the radio without sum lemonade
    Food: ???
    Audio device: (hopefully provided by Location)

So what does everyone think? Can get this organized? We also need to start talking about SW3 too.

ubi

2. Swampsurfer

Swampsurfer Jedi Master star 3

Nov 11, 2001
    I have to make sure Jacqui is cool with a geek squad meeting at our place, but I built a deck out back and we have a nice padio. No rockin' chair, but a swing and a hammock. Just have to spray bleach on the paddio furniture. Also, if we can wire some speakers outside, which I think I can do right quick, I have the sound system covered too.

I will get back to you all soon on this. I think this is a great idea for a meeting. Excited I am.

3. Ubigod

Jan 16, 2003
    Cool, check your private messages, swampsurfer.

g-night

ubi

4. wicket_the_ewok

wicket_the_ewok Jedi Youngling star 2

May 16, 2002
    sounds cool. if all possible, lets try to have this meeting before april 8 because the guy (sorry i forgot your name) from the daily world wants to come to a meeting. im pushing for april 2 or 3 (two weeks from now). is that okay for the rest of you guys? also the first weekend of april (2 and 3) is when all the new episode 3 stuff comes out, including a star wars trial pursuit dvd edition, which im most likely going to get. we can eat during the day, listen to the tape, and then play the trival pursuit game later that night. also next week, im going to go talk to the people at the grand theatre to inquire about Fan Day III and the midnight showing of episode 3. (hey swampsurfer want to come with me?) does that sound like a plan?

5. Swampsurfer

Nov 11, 2001
    Check my calendar, I am working that weekend, but the next one, I am free.

Are we sure we want to put on Fan Day III? It's a lot of work and the group that pitched in last time, those who conducted Fan Day I, may not be interested in assisting. The majority rules here, and I am more than willing to do as much as I can to make it a success. Let's just be careful in gettin' in over our heads.

Personally, I wanted to do something along the lines of the Dallas Fort Worth group. They use the empty field next to the theatre to host what they call Rebel Base. There is an empty field next to Carmike Cinema near the Acadiana Mall. I still think that is our best bet. More so now that they have the Grand to compete with. They allowed the sleep over for Episodes I and II. I think they would be more willing, and better able to deal with the crowd.

6. Ubigod

Jan 16, 2003
    Okay the cement is starting to form:

Due to Swampsurfer working the weekend of the 2nd I am setting the weekend of April 9/10th for the meeting. That way it will give everyone a week of alone time with his or her new ep3 toys.
    Also I think we should resolve this situation at this meeting, unless this was already resolves when I wasn't onshore.

So here is the meeting summary so far:
    Date: April 9th or 10th
    Activities: Listening to some Star Wars Cassettes, an Eating festivities, playing the new DVD Trivia Pursuit?, and much much more!
    Time: T.B.D.

ubi

7. Bakh-tor_01

Bakh-tor_01 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2003
    All sounds like a good idea to me, the 9th/10th is a weekend i would be able to make as i'm not on call that weekend.

8. Swampsurfer

Nov 11, 2001
    Ok folks. I know it's late notice, but the hints where there long before now. The meeting is on.

Date: Saturday, April 9th, 2005
    Time: 10AM till 5PM
    Where: Swamp's (New) Place Yahoo Map
    Agenda:
    1. Listen to Radio Drama on and around outside deck while cooking.
    2. Eat on patio and engage in geek-talk
    3. Play DVD trivia inside

Other options: Bring your new STAR WARS purchases to show others. Also, if the T-Shirts are in, Pass them out!. Discuss possibilities for a Fan Day III, and plan a movie release gathering.

Needed: Outdoor chairs, I have some, but to be safe, bring your own. I have a small bar-B-que pit, but if someone has a nice portable option, contact me. DVD Trivia game. I don't have one. I can get the meat to cook, snacks, and drinks. I ask that you all bring some cash with you and we can divide the cost up and I will announce the per-person cost at the event. I will be trifty, and if I plan on keeping any left-overs, I promise to take that out of the end all figure.

Finally, if you have any other ideas or comments, please respond in this thread or Private Message me.

Hope to see you all soon.

9. crestfallen

crestfallen Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 2003
    I ain't gonna be there, Swamp. Save my shirt for me please.

10. wicket_the_ewok

May 16, 2002
    i'll be there. i'll bring the trivial pursuit dvd edition and the T-SHIRTS!!!! i'll also bring my other star wars stuff i got over the weekend.

11. wicket_the_ewok

May 16, 2002
    Well guys it looks like I've made a mistake in ordering the shirts. I forgot to check my email(i have two emails) and approve the final design. Well I approved it today and the shirts should be in two weeks from today. Sorry about the mistake, but if it is any consolation the final design looks really cool. Sorry again.

12. Swampsurfer

Nov 11, 2001
    :_| I want my STAR WARS FanForce Acadiana T-shirt now!

It's OK. You still got us the shirts and the design is wonderful. I'm OK with the wait.

13. Ubigod

Jan 16, 2003
    I think I have scheduled it so that I will be there. I be in Houstin till Thursday and New Orleans Friday Mourning. If something changes I will figure out how to get the tapes there. I also have my own outdoor chair, so I will bring that along.

ubi

14. Bakh-tor_01

Bakh-tor_01 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2003
    Should be there. see ya'll sat.

15. Nabooty_Call

Nabooty_Call Former RSA / Obi-Wan Impersonator star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 11, 2000
    Good luck with the meeting, y'all! These are exciting times to be a fan :D :D :D

16. Jedi_Master_Rssoh

Jedi_Master_Rssoh Jedi Youngling

May 15, 2002
    This sounds interesting and fun, guys. I just got the e-mail announcement from Swampsurfer.

I'd like to try and make it, if I can. Swampsurfer, can you e-mail me the location details? If you guys would like, I may be able to recruit some new members, too.

Might I suggest that the meeting be BYOBBQ (Bring your own BBQ)? This would lift any financial strain from anyone.

As for Fan Day III, I'm out. Even if I wanted to do another one, I can't because I have Japan Fest in New Orleans on May 15 and MechaCon, here in Lafayette, on August 26-28. So, my plate is pretty full. However, I'd like to suggest that I think the empty field next to the Carmike is a good idea. You guys should set it up like an encampment on the Saturday of opening weekend. That way, you get the film crowd as they're pumped up for their first viewing of the film. The biggest problem with Fan Day I and II was that they were after-thoughts. Had I organized them for opening weekend, it would've been great.

In any case, if you guys are going to plan for a Fan Day on opening weekend, you'd better start ironing it out now. :)

While I'm not available for helping to organize it, I'll be available for any advice or suggestions you guys may need.

17. Swampsurfer

Nov 11, 2001
    I am sure this will be a hot topic of discussion at the meeting Saturday. It may be a little late for BYOB, but if we can get some feedback here, that would be nice.

So, are you going to make it to the meeting?

18. Jedi_Master_Rssoh

Jedi_Master_Rssoh Jedi Youngling

May 15, 2002
    I'd like to maybe try, if I'm welcome. I just don't want to inconvenience you guys. LMK. :)

19. jmayeux

jmayeux Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 21, 2002
    Hey Guys, I'll actually be makeing this one. Is there anything besides a chair I should bring? I of course would be happy to chip in for the cost of the festivities. Just let me know how much to bring. Hope to see everyone soon.

20. Swampsurfer

Nov 11, 2001
    Yes. Anyone who wants to be part of this activity can come. If we don't have enough food, we'll cook more.

However, I am worried. I need to know who is bringing:

1. Audio Drama
    2. DVD
    3. A better B-B-Q pit (the one I have is small and old)
    4. Drinks/Snacks

I will check this thread early in the morning. Then I am runnin' to WAL-MART to purchase supplies.

PLEASE someone say they are doing something. Thanks.

21. Ubigod

Jan 16, 2003
    I will still be bring the audio drama, but I may be late getting to the meeting. I will try to stop on the way over and buy some lemonade, chips, pretzel. If no one else speaks up about bring another bbq pit, I guess I will buy a new one in the mourning. I will check if anyone else posts in the mourning before heading over.

ubi

22. wicket_the_ewok

May 16, 2002
    Hey swamp, i'll bring the Trivial Pursuit DvD game. im also bringing a french bread and some money for the BBQ meat. i would bring my BBQ pit, but it is WAY to big to fit in my car. can't wait see yall there.

23. jmayeux

jmayeux Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 21, 2002
    I can pick up a couple of cases of Coke and some munchies. I know that My gas grill isn't going to make it into the car but I'll see if I can dig out a regular one but I'll have to see if I can borrow my dad's truck to carry it. I have a little car and not much fits.

24. Swampsurfer

Nov 11, 2001
    We'll get started a little later. Around 11AM. This will give me more time to setup, and Ubigod can get here with the Audio Drama to listen to outside while we cook.

Spoke to Bakh-tor in the Coronet starport last night after taking care of a squadran of Witchblood Pirates in the Dothemir sector. He says he will be bringing drinks and hamburger buns.

My pit will probably do fine to cook for all of us, but if jmayeux can manage to bring the larger pit, great.

Looks like this is who is going to be there:
    Swampsurfer
    Bakh-tor
    jmayeux
    wicket_the_ewok
    Ubigod
    Jedi_Master_Rssoh (possibly)

Actually more than I expected. We should have fun. Now, I wish I spent time cleaning up the deck furniture and painting the back of the house. :)

My daughter will be here, but Jacqui won't. Oh well. Her loss.

25. wicket_the_ewok

May 16, 2002
    thanks for pushing back the time. i have matter to deal with at the bank and they don't open till 9. see yall there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.