main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Meeting #18 (Episode III in DLP)

Discussion in 'Archive: Lafayette, LA' started by Swampsurfer, May 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Swampsurfer

Swampsurfer Jedi Master star 3

Nov 11, 2001
    Hi all,

Wondering if we can generate interest in making a road trip to Plano, TX to see Revenge of the Sith in Digital Light Projection.

The trip is about 6 1/2 hours one way, and overnight would be implied. Nabooty_Call from FanForce in Dallas, Ft. Worth is willing to be our tour guide. I think this would be a great way to watch the movie as a group, dine out afterward, and then relish in the fact that we are away from home and go bar hoping or something.

If you are interested please let me know. Also, if you would more perfer to stay around Acadiana to make a group viewing of Episode III, say so in this thread.

Eagerly awaiting the council's decision I am.

2. Soler-Vector

Soler-Vector Jedi Youngling star 1

May 8, 2005
    as long as its on the weekend ok.im in.

3. Spide143

Spide143 Jedi Youngling

May 6, 2005
    Don't know about the road trip yet. Anyone check out or know anything about the new Celebrity Theatre? The area lf their website selling on-screen advertising boasts "DLP Projection on every screen."

4. Swampsurfer

Nov 11, 2001
    Where is the Celebrity?

5. DarthGuido

DarthGuido Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 12, 2002
    Is that the new theater they are building out near broussard?

6. Spide143

Spide143 Jedi Youngling

May 6, 2005
    It is thenew one opening in broussard. i e-mailed the General Manager asking if the DLP was just for ads or for films as well, he has not responded yet.

7. Swampsurfer

Nov 11, 2001
    Sweeet! Hoping this is true. If so, FFA can lobby for a STAR WARS Marathon.

8. DarthGuido

Apr 12, 2002
    Man, it too bad they couldn't get that thing open for the premiere. But if it's an all DLP theater, as long as it opens before the summer is out and they can get RotS over there, that would be a lot better than having to drive all the way to Plano.

9. Lord_Sidious

Lord_Sidious Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 14, 2001
    I'll go. When does Nabooty think we should go? I saw that Madagastar was going to also be shown on digital screens, so I am wondering if the movies will be battling for showing times.

The link below gives the locations of all of the DPL screens in North America. Does that new theater have a web address yet?

http://www.dlp.com/dlp_cinema/dlp_cinema_theater_search_region.asp?rid=1

10. wicket_the_ewok

wicket_the_ewok Jedi Youngling star 2

May 16, 2002
    im game, just give me a one to two weeks advance notice. i heard the celebrity theater might not open until christmas. im not sure, but that is what i heard. by the way ROTS made $182,710,278 it first six days, beating spider-man 2 by 2 million. can anybody say "iceberg, straight ahead!"
    go here for more info

11. Spide143

Spide143 Jedi Youngling

May 6, 2005
    Got the Gen Manager e-mail today:

Hi Spide143,

Digital movie projection still has a long way to go until it becomes standard. The DLP projectors that we have will be used for the pre-show presentation, however we do plan to do other special events with them such as X-BOX on the big screen. The projectors will also allow us to host corporate events/training seminars and perhaps Satelite transmission such as Football/Baseball/WWE pay-per view etc...

While no doubt digital motion picture presentation will be coming, it would only be prudent to wait until:
    1) the price of the projectors comes down (currently with the quality and technology about 5x that of a film projector), and a industry wide decision on who is going to pay for the conversion (theatre owners or distributors)
    2) The film industry decides on a format. - There are about 5 companies all trying to get their format "the one" - what happens to all the projectors that aren't
    3) Piracy issues

Here are just three reasons, but the list is as long as my arm.

Hope we see you at the movies!!
    Blake

X-Box thing looks intresting but I guess we have to wait for a DLP marathon.

12. DarthRender

DarthRender Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 3, 2000
    I'd like to go fo sho.

13. Swampsurfer

Nov 11, 2001
    These are the two options I can think of:

Cinemark At Legacy MORE INFO.
    7201 Central Exp
    Plano, TX

Highland 10 MORE INFO.
    6700 Middle Fiskville Road
    Austin, TX

. . . unless you can spot something closer IN THIS LIST.

I recommend June 18th as the date to do this, but feel free to consult MY CALENDAR and propose something else.

14. wicket_the_ewok

May 16, 2002
    sounds good to me. are we going to make a weekend out of it?

15. Swampsurfer

Nov 11, 2001
    I would like to have put off the trip to see RotS in DLP until July 2nd, but I am afraid it may no longer be available in DLP at that time. I called and got through to a live person in the Plano, TX theater and the girl there said that it should run 2-3 more weeks at least, since it is doing well at the moment. However, they schedule the digital screens according to ticket sales and competition with other releases. So I think the best bet is to act fast.

Both trips will be about 6+ hours driving time, and I would perfer to go to Plano since we can hook up with Nabooty_Call. However the Austin trip would be slightly shorter.

16. DarthGuido

Apr 12, 2002
    Well, I won't be off of work long enough for a trip like that for close to a month, BUT on a somewhat positive note, if it's still in Plano on or around the weekend of the 25th, I'll be in the Dallas area working anyway. So if I don't get to catch it with you guys I'll catch it that weekend if it's still showing.

17. Swampsurfer

Nov 11, 2001
    Darn! Isn't the 18th close enough to the 25th? Just jokin' and I understand. Gonna miss you.

18. DarthGuido

Apr 12, 2002
    Heh, unfortunately no. And the 18th is the day after my birthday anyway, and since we have the traditional family get together that night, I guess I should be there. LOL

19. Soler-Vector

May 8, 2005
    i dont know if il make it.i have to work till 3 in the morning friday night saterday morning

20. Swampsurfer

Nov 11, 2001
    That is no reason to wimp out. You can sleep in a vehicle while someone else drives.

21. Soler-Vector

May 8, 2005
    ok let me know wher wher meeting at il fork over the money if sombody else drives.i hope yall have snooz control.lol

22. Swampsurfer

Nov 11, 2001
    I got your PM wicket_the_ewok. You can ride with me, and Soler-Vector. Only room for one more in my vehicle.

We can leave first thing Saturday morning. About 8AM is good for me. That would put us there around 3PM.

Enough time to freshen up and take a nap. In the next couple of days, I will take attendence of how many folks have said they are interested in this thread. Then we can make a reservation and buy tickets.

wicket_the_ewok, as for BATMAN. I want to stick to the plan to watch it the night of the release, the 15th. Knnie and Moniqua said they would most likely come. He couldn't make it on the Friday night due to work. However if the majority vote for Friday night, then I suppose it's Friday night for BATMAN.

23. Soler-Vector

May 8, 2005
    so wher do we meet for the trip.il need derections to who evers hous wher meeting at

24. Swampsurfer

Nov 11, 2001
    Not sure yet. Just stay posted. OK?

25. wicket_the_ewok

May 16, 2002
    saturday morning it is. i'll ask off for that weekend tomorrow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.