Syra, NY Meeting: 29/3 - Location change!

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Katana_Geldar, Mar 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    As said in the last meeting there will be a meeting on the 29th March, 3-4pm.

There is a location change due to the fact that the library's completely booked. The meeting will be in the conference room of the SA building. That's up one set of stairs and turn left until you see the conference room.

Hopefully we can sort out the trivia night then, because that'll be a good way to get members.

MTFBWYA
  2. Viceroy_NuteGunray Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Excellent. Sounds great, I'll be there.
  3. darthpaige Jedi Youngling

hey, i can't go today because i'm laid up with the flu, but i checked out the place for the movie marathon and it turns out we'll have to fight the pre-seas (students at the residential college) for the TV, or otherwise provide our own.and the tv there has a VHS player, but no dvd player. but if we organised our own tv/laptop/whatever to watch it on, it should be alright.
    or else we could book the AMC auditorium (for a nominal fee) and use the huge screen there, but the seats aren't very comfortable and the place is huge and either too hot or too cold.
    sorry i don't have better news!
    Paige
  4. JawaPro Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I am going to be there if at all possible, but I have just been contacted by my project advisor and have to have a meeting with him at 2, and I have lectures at 4, but I'll be there if I can possibly make it. The project meeting SHOULDNT take too long.
  5. Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    Here are the minutes, I had to add a bit from what I could remember we talked about. Anything else I should add PM me and I'll put it on.

Minutes from Meeting VII, 29/3/06

6 present, 1 apology

Hobart

Hobart contacts are more of a loosely based group, just starting to work as a group. Most of them are into the SW miniatures game while quite a few are into film making.
    They do want to have a joint meeting at some stage and are interested in coming up for some events.

Lightsaber day

While the guys in Hobart are willing to come up and give us a lightsaber training day, they are unable to do this at present due to filming commitments.

Mini Golf
    8th April at Grindelwald, settle on time on boards

Affiliating with the SA

While this is deseriable to get funding, Deathab (anime club president) said that the ways which the funding can be spent are limited. Generally, we wanted to affiliate with the student union for funding, not just to be a student club.
    It was agreed it was far better to remain as we are, even without the funding, more of a FanForce chapter than a university club.
    Funding issues would have become a problem anyway when Voluntary Student Unionism comes in this July.

Website

Congratulations to Jawapro and Amaya_Unduli on the website, they will be awarded titles as co-webmasters for their efforts.
    Jawapro said that he can make the website so we can login and make changes as to meetings, events.

Banner
    HawkNC did say the banner was going to go up soon, but given the fact that the TFN website is down as are most of the message boards this may take a while.
    The new banner for this board will go up, it?s merely a question of when.

Trivia Night

This was discussed at some length as it will be our first real event as a FanForce, the following issues were raised to it.

The date is definite, Thursday May 4, Star Wars Day
    There is the issue of rounds, how many and how many questions per round and what to do between rounds when the questions, Star Wars style party games or a sheet of continuous questions.
    One party game that was suggested was pass-the-lightsaber without using your hands, another is a blue milk drinking contest.
    Five was agreed as a good number for team size, yet there is issue of how rigid this should be. $5 a head and $20 for a team seemed fine, but there is the question of whether there should be a special price for members or not.
    For prizes it was suggested to have a kind of trophy, an action figure super-glued to a lump of wood we can get from architecture. Perhaps there could be one permanent trophy, from which all the winners get their names engraved on which is continually reused as well as smaller trophies for individual members of the group.
    There was strong support for the suggestion for people to go in costume, with a prize for the best dressed on the night.
    Promotion is of course needed to attract numbers, the question was raised to invite just uni students or to try and get people outside as well. Generally we want to attract uni students, though we can expect some people from outside as well (Hobart).
    Food was generally agreed upon a BYO basis, we?ll have tea and coffee and things but people generally will be expected to bring something to eat.
    There will be people needed to do the questions, to adjudicate and to set up and clean up. It was agreed there would be mixed questions, with a limited amount on the EU and one or two on the Holiday Special with a few easy questions to boost the confidence of the players.
    An 8-10 question round was suggested, but as to how many rounds that depends on how long we want the night to go for.
    For aural and visual questions there was the suggestion of a projector, Jawapro said he would investigate getting one.

Next Meeting

The next meeting will be in a weeks time, same place same time. In the SA building, April 5, 3pm.
  6. JawaPro Jedi Youngling

star 1
    The Jawa Report
    For the meeting tomorrow (5/4/06).

G'day

I've been busy lately - and I mean REALLY busy. The project has been taking up most of my time - which sucks, because I dont know if it will ease off any time soon.

Anyway - I dont know if I'll make it to the meeting tomorrow. I'll try - but I have 2 other meetings to do with the project, and unfourtuantly they take precendence.

So here's a report on stuff for the meeting.

1. I've been busy - so I havent done a think to the website since the last meeting. I am planning on talking to my cousin to see if he can help with some of the PHP stuff that I dont have time to do at the moment. He will probably be interested in joining the club, so it shouldnt be hard to get him to help [face_whistling]

2. I havent asked about the projector, but I am still planning to. My local Online Center owns one that I have been able to borrow a couple of times because I used to be a regular volunteer there. The online center would probably charge a small hire fee - but I dont know how much, so I'll get back to you on that as soon as I can (keep reminding me - I am forgetfull as well as busy).

3. I hope to come to the mini-golf day, but it's the same weekend as Nexus (big computer LAN) so I might be busy with that. If I dont make it, I hope you all have a great time.

4. I am pretty sure I can count on a couple of friends to make up a team for the Trivia Night. I dont know how many people you are hoping to come, but there's a chance that it could get a little big. But that might be want you want...

Anyway - that's it from me. Hopefully I'll be at the meeting tomorrow, but in case I cant, this is my contribution.

JawaPro (Rob)
  7. Rebel__Stormer Jedi Youngling

I just wanted to make a few changes to your report of our (Taz Jedi Force) status.

We have been a Fan Club now since last August and we hold fortnightly meetings.

We currently have 15 members and we offer many ways to enjoy Star Wars ie. Movie Screenings, Collectable Valuations/Displays, Miniature Gaming, Fan Films, Lightsaber Training, Book/Comic Reviews, Costume/Prop design and more...

If u guys come down to our neck of the woods then let us know and we will set up a meeting.

Rebel Stormer/Jedi Master Rallek
    www.tazjediforce.tk

We will be coming up to Launceston sometime VERY soon.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.