Macon, GA MEETING #3 - Let's make it OFFICIAL!

Discussion in 'South East Regional Discussion' started by Allie Fox, Nov 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Allie Fox FanForce CR Macon GA US

Chapter Rep
    star 3
    Okay team. I need suggestions.

I am thinking that we can meet sometime during the week of November 17-23. It looks like Sunday through Wednesday are out for a few so that leaves Thursday through Saturday, November 21-23. I would like to find a place that has a big screen and will accomodate a DVD Player. We can go over the finer points of the extra features or even watch the film itself with the audio commentary. I'm going to call a few places to see if they might be willing to let us "invade" for a few hours at the most.

On the other hand, we might want to consider having the next meeting sometime within the first two weeks of December. I don't want to seem like we are rushing to become "official" or anything of the sort. It just so happens that the next few weeks are an exciting time for us Star Wars fans and coordinating meetings in conjunction with these special events is real easy.

What is the consensus?

For me. The sooner the better. I'm all for meeting again in November to view and discuss the DVD features. What about everyone else?
  2. litllejedi Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I am all up for getting together as soon as the 12th, to behold the marvels for the first time among like-minded friends. Even if its at someones house. I would be happy to host or likewise make the trip.
    I'm still wide open to all the proposed dates.
  3. Grand_Admiral_Jedi Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I probably can't do the 12th. I'll be out of town that day at a convention. Thursday 14th around 8:00 P.M. or so is good., not too late Friday 15th works (I've got to be up early Sat.16), Mon. 18th after 5:00 works, Tues. 19th after 5:00 works, Thurs. 21st through Sat. 23rd is great.

That's my schedule.
  4. whipwarrior Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Anytime Thursday through Sunday works for me, but I'm all for meeting ASAP after the DVD comes out. I can supply microwave popcorn and soda, if anyone's interested. Now I'm off to search for a Kenner Stormtrooper blaster, as I won a bit of money in a raffle yesterday. Take care!

-Dale
  5. sabrann Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Thrusday thru Sunday is good for me.
    I am soooo excited I cann't stand it. Let's see,
    DVD -check
    TV-check
    Cats bound to scratching post-Check
    Snacks- Check
    Phone off the hook during -Check

Ok, I'm set to watch :)

Sabrann
  6. Allie Fox FanForce CR Macon GA US

Chapter Rep
    star 3
    Just a few notes:

At MEETING #3 we will need to take care of a few things.

1. A name for the group. Although we may be at or near a decision, we need to put it to a vote and make it official.

2. We need to select a City Rep. The City Rep's job is as described here. . .

CR's have essentially replaced what are known as moderators. A moderator is responsible for maintaining their online forum. However, a CR transcends this role because they are also responsible for representing their chapter and its interests.

A CR must be a leader -- capable of organizing and supporting their entire chapter. A CR is elected by the members of a chapter. However, if a group has not yet become a recognized chapter, they may still elect someone to represent them and their interests until said group becomes official.

3. Plan for website. Domain name? Hosting? Webmaster? Template ideas. . . You get the picture.

4. Recruitment activities. Perhaps MEETING #4 could entail the current members hanging posters and doing a little "politickin'."

5. Watch, enjoy and discuss the AOTC DVD.
  7. Smiling-Otter Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Time, place, date? Hey, I'm easy. Tue and Wed nights are bad, Sunday morning's bad, otherwise I can likely be there.
  8. Allie Fox FanForce CR Macon GA US

Chapter Rep
    star 3
    I'm shooting for the 14thor the 21st. Both are Thursday. The 14th may be too soon but I'll leave that up to the group. I can't find a place that has a DVD player for use though.

Jock and Jill's can give us a private room with tv's but only with a VHS hook-up.
    I tried the Hi-Fi Buys (next to Circuit City). They have an AWESOME setup that would be perfect for a meeting and viewing, however they weren't too keen on a bunch of people sitting around watching a DVD when there are customers in the store (and they close at 9:00 p.m.).

I'm going to call around to a few other places and get something. If anyone from the Macon area(perhaps a grinning sea mammal-hint hint) knows of a place that might suit our needs let me know and I'll make the arrangements.

Also. . . let me know which date suits you.
  9. whipwarrior Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Hey, if you have the place with a TV, I can totally bring my Sony DVD player. It would only take a minute to hook up if I knew what kind of ports the TV had.

-Dale
  10. Smiling-Otter Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Unfortunately no place comes immediately to mind that would have a private room available with dvd compatible TV. (Maybe I should get out more...) I will continue to think on it though.

11. whipwarrior Jedi Youngling

star 1
    "The Emperor has made a critical error, and the time for our attack has come."

So, what's the plan for the Macon FanForce: Episode III? I'm ready to go!!! I've been reading a great book called Mythmaker: The Life and Work of George Lucas. It's a fantastic, informative read. Looking back at what Lucas and company had to go through in the mid-seventies, it's a wonder Star Wars even got made, and even more amazing, that it ended up being so wildly successful. Reading about the lines of people winding around the block at Mann's Chinese Theater for a brand new movie that just came out, I envision much the same spectacle in May of 2005, when Episode III is released. I predict there will be a wave of Star Wars fever unlike any that has swept America since the summer of 1977. It will be the movie event of the century. Any takers?

-Dale

P.S.- Read Mythmaker!!!
  12. Force_Me Jedi Youngling

I have a house with a 31 inch TV and an ok DVD player.

Any day I'm off is a good day for me.

Also I have a Dog/Kid/Wife so if you don't like dogs/kids/women your SOL.

If your looking for something more private like a club house then nothing comes to mind.

13. Allie Fox FanForce CR Macon GA US

Chapter Rep
    star 3
    I just got off the phone with the folks at Macon College. We are scheduled to have a room next Thursday from 6 p.m. until 9 p.m. They will provide us with a Television and VCR (we will need to provide the DVD player). They might also have other multimedia facilities in the room (NOTE-like you and I discussed LJ)

So it's set.

MEETING #3
    THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 21
    6 p.m. - 9 p.m.
    Building K Room 106

See above for meeting agenda!

Special thanks to the Macon College Continuing Education Department for waiving the usual $60 rental fee.
  14. whipwarrior Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Cool. I got the DVD player. I can also bring my Bose radio and run the sound through it. (Makes a WORLD of difference). What kind of soda do you guys want? It's on me.

-Dale
  15. Smiling-Otter Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Sounds like a plan to me... All other things being equal, I shall be there. I reckon some directions wouldn't hurt, though, for those who don't know the campus layout (or location for some of the non-Macon crowd.)

16. sabrann Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I agree with Otter...directions are gonna be needed

sabrann
  17. whipwarrior Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I third the motion. All in favor?

LOL
  18. Allie Fox FanForce CR Macon GA US

Chapter Rep
    star 3
    Here's a link to a map of the campus.

All you have to do is continue on Eisenhower Parkway(US 80) past I-475. Turn right on Ivey Drive and follow the signs into the rear parking lot. The meeting will be in the "K" Building.

If I can get there early enough I'll put up some signs or something.
  19. litllejedi Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I should be able to make that. I will bring my DVD player also(just in case).
  20. Allie Fox FanForce CR Macon GA US

Chapter Rep
    star 3
    Just a note:

If any of you have any ideas for logos, etc. bring them with you. Let everyone take a look at your ideas.
  21. Allie Fox FanForce CR Macon GA US

Chapter Rep
    star 3
    I'm also going to add Dragon*Con to the agenda.

If you are interested in heading to HOTHLANTA for Dragon*Con next year, now is the time to buy your membership. After tomorrow the cost rises $5 to $45. If we can get ten folks to commit then we can get a $5 discount per person.

Just something to think about.
  22. Allie Fox FanForce CR Macon GA US

Chapter Rep
    star 3
    Does anyone need DIRECTIONS to the meeting place?

Does anyone have any suggestions for the agenda?

Does anyone want to loan me $20?

Just thought I'd ask. ;)
  23. Meriwyn Former RSA

star 4
    Good luck on becoming official! If you need anything, please let us know :)
  24. Allie Fox FanForce CR Macon GA US

Chapter Rep
    star 3
    I may take you up on that offer sooner than you think. ;)
  25. Meriwyn Former RSA

star 4
    By all means, please do! :) We're here to help.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.