main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Read, PA Meeting Idea Thread

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Crazed_Ewok, Jun 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crazed_Ewok

Crazed_Ewok Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 31, 2002
    *grabs 225th post and runs away*

:p

Really, though, you're right...we have to do something. We also have to get our other members like Wesmin back and active

2. ArchaicRebel

ArchaicRebel Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2004
    Why don't we just start meeting monthly (like on a Sunday or something) at a place that's free (Denny's works for me. Sorry, I love that place) and just ramble for a few hours. We don't have to be productive about anything concerning the RRS, but at least we'll be meeting, y'know?

Them's mah .02 creds.

3. Rebel_Spook

Rebel_Spook Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2002
    Unfortunately, ArchaicRebel, but meeting's require an agenda of business, or they aren't official meetings. Now, those agendas can be as simple as talking about plans to make the FF grow, upcoming FF events, and future meetings. After that, open socializing is more than OK, it is encouraged.

4. ArchaicRebel

May 11, 2004
    Yeah, but until we get into the habit of meeting, we won't get to the agenda of business, etc part of meeting. And as it is, we can't possibly have much business in meeting, since we're a handful or so in size. So we might as well just start meeting and talking about accomplishing things, but primarily socializing first. Otherwise, why meet? There's no point in meeting if it feels like homework.

5. Rebel_Spook

May 14, 2002
    I'm not saying that meeting should wait until there's something major to talk about, or it'll never happen. Like I said, I think a main topic of FF business conversation should be how to increase the size and stability of RRS.

6. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I just want to come in a comment on how we ran meetings in the past. They had a little bit of what both ArchaicRebel and Rebel_Spook mentioned.

We started out the meeting with the business end of the deal. I had a list of things that I wanted to talk about for each meeting pertaining to the group. Once I got them out of the way, I opened the floor up for anything else that members had on their mind. We handled this part fairly quickly and got it out of the way first to save time for the socializing and "fun" parts of the meeting. On average, this part would take up a least 15-30 min. of the time. After that, we would commence to the socializing and activities, whether this was dinner, a movie or some other activity that we had planned.

With that said, I think it would be a good idea to plan monthly meetings and hold these meetings at the same place every month. I think after returning to the same place after a while, people will start to notice us, ask questions and give us more members.

7. Rebel_Spook

May 14, 2002
    Actually, Steph, that is exactly what I was talking about. Have a bit of business to make it official and then get on with the fun.

I must admit, I am nearing my breaking point for giving up the idea of a York/Lancaster FF and would like to be considered for possible membership in the RRS. I agree that a stable place of meeting is a good idea, though sometimes an alternate place is a good idea in case of unavailability.

Might I request a bit more Southernly place than in Reading itself as that is more than an hour's drive for me?

8. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Alright, cool...I was just throwing out some examples of what we've done in the past.

Good point about alternate places in case one becomes unavailable. Maybe we could even switch off between the two places every other month.

I don't think it would be a problem to hold the meetings south of Reading. At least for me it won't be a problem. If this is a problem for anyone, please let us know. I want to try and accomadate everyone. :)

9. Rebel_Spook

May 14, 2002
    I was thinking somewhere along 222 or not too far from it, as that would be my route of travel. I think that restaurants, especially ones that can handle more than just a handful of people and has a varied menu that anyone can find something to eat (IE: Denny's). :D

{OK, so that wasn't such a subtle way to try to make sure things are smooth between me and AR...} ;)

10. ArchaicRebel

May 11, 2004
    Teehee, sorry if I came off as having a hard head, but I just can't imagine making something like an FF more like a career than it has to be. I mean, the business part is necessary and I've no problem with it, but that shouldn't be why we meet.

And, going along 222S, there's Paolo's Pizza (outside Shillington)
    and... not much else until you get to the Park City Mall/ Lancaster area. If we meet in the York/ Lancaster area, I'd have to bum a ride. My car gets 12 miles to a gallon, and with prices expected to hit $3 a gallon soon, I dare not drive unless I have to.

11. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    I just can't imagine making something like an FF more like a career than it has to be. I mean, the business part is necessary and I've no problem with it, but that shouldn't be why we meet.

I know the business end of the deal may not be fun sometimes, but it should be included. But that is far from the main reason why we meet. Our sole purpose is to bring fans in our area together to discuss and share our love for Star Wars. And that will be the number one priority at meetings.

As for places along 222, not a bad idea if we can actually find a place along there. Like AR said, there's always Paolo's, but that's right on the outskirts of Reading and may still be quite a haul for Rebel_Spook. What I was thinking was maybe we can hold a meeting close to Reading one month than the next, have it closer to Lancaster. Let me know what you think.

12. Crazed_Ewok

Aug 31, 2002
    Yea, Paolo's is a good place to meet...especially for me (Han knows why ;) ) As long as we can discuss something about the FF, I think we're pretty much in the clear to make it an official meeting.

13. Rebel_Spook

May 14, 2002
    Heck, I'll settle it right now: All RRS meetings will be held one of Rebel_Spook's several favorite restaurants in the Lancaster area!

OK, just kidding! I like the idea of alternating between the 2 areas. Though, if we set the date first it would allow for deciding where a month's meeting is held as there are going to be times when I won't be able to attend and having it in Lancaster would be useless.

I may have to do Daddy-duty when we have a meeting, so my 19 month old daughter would be with me. Does anyone have a problem with this?

14. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Yea, I guess that is the next step...making the dates. Before I go ahead and start naming dates, does anyone have any suggestions? I like to hear feedback before making a final decision.

As for having your daughter along, that's no problem for me. In fact, we'd be glad to have her. :)

15. Crazed_Ewok

Aug 31, 2002
    Oooo, a young mind to corrupt :p j/k

16. Rebel_Spook

May 14, 2002
    Why is it that anytime I mention bringing my daughter to FF meetings must someone threaten to corrupt her?

Well, I for one can't make anything over the Memorial Day weekend, I will be out of state and not back until late Monday. To be honest, right now I don't know when'll be good, I'll have to get back with ya'll after I talk to the "boss".

Is there a Who's who thread or anything here? I'm gonna go look and see, and if not, I'll start one...

17. ArchaicRebel

May 11, 2004
    I vote for Sundays. I like peanut butter. How's the first Sunday of the month sound? Weekends are good for me; I don't work then.

I dunno, just my 2.

18. Rebel_Spook

May 14, 2002
    I like peanut butter.

Are you ok, AR? ?[face_plain]

19. ArchaicRebel

May 11, 2004
    No, probably not... Well, while I was talking about Sundays (i.e., sundaes.... I live down the street from a Friendly's. It's tempting sometimes.)

20. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Sundays would probably work the best for me. As of right now, I'm only scheduled till 3pm on Sundays(got the lunch shift ;) ) and I should be free all night.

As for that peanut butter...it's alright. You see, I work at a Friendly's (the one on Lancaster Ave.)and after being around that peanut butter sauce for so long, you get sick of it. ;)

21. Rebel_Spook

May 14, 2002
    Well, it is looking like Sundays are a highly likely day then. I can't promise first Sunday of every month though. To be honest, I know that the first Sunday of June is out for me. Obviously, if that date is the best for at least 3 of the rest of ya'll, the go with it and get the 3rd meeting in the bag and make the FF official.

I guess Friendly's or ice cream in general is out for places to meet... :p :D

Oh, Steph, btw, I used to work as a Fountain Jerk (insert jerk joke here) back in high school. I got sick of ice cream for the most part for a while there after. That kind of thing happened with all the food places I worked, a bagel deli, the ice cream place, and McDonald's.

22. Crazed_Ewok

Aug 31, 2002
    Sunday really isn't the best day for me...at least not for a few weeks.

23. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Ah yes, the fountain jerk jokes. My dad kids me about that all the time and it's annoying. Oh well...

Sunday really isn't the best day for me...at least not for a few weeks.

Care to elaborate a little more on that, Crazed?

24. Crazed_Ewok

Aug 31, 2002
    Well, I have a bunch of stuff to do on the Sundays in this month and that's keeping me busy...after that, it should open up, hopefully.

25. Rebel_Spook

May 14, 2002
    It turns out that I would be available on Sunday the 13th if that works for others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.