Meeting Minutes for May

Discussion in 'Washington, DC' started by Darth_Twilight, May 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Twilight Jedi Master

star 2
    Date: 5/20/06
    Commencement time: 4:25
    Slash mentioned at 4/26
    Chas' Job Sucks 4:26
    Eugenia Quit and then unquit at 4:27

Brief mention of costuming

- X-men movie. We discussed going as a group. Where? Will take place Friday May 26th 7:30 PM show at Tyson's Corner (Stephanie, is this right?)
    we discussed the possibility of it being at the Cinema Deluxe by the Fairfax County Government Center.

- Balticon this weekend. Who is going? Eugenia is going for the day. There won't be a large attendance by the GS.

- Discussed the website and the "about us" section. It is up. We're a Star Wars club that is blending into an all genre club.

Also website layout and look was discussed.

- Pirate Festival is the 1st weekend in June in Hampton VA. Who is going. Eugenia, Ken, Chrissy and Kory are going Saturday morning. Stephanie and Dave will be going as well. The Radisson Hotel is a good place to stay and is central.

- Gay Marriage was mentioned.

- On the Private boards, topic on General GS business--like website has been updated--is in "I am not a committee" section.

- Dues - COWs are the ones who come a lot. Do we want to collect dues? Do we want to recruite or just keep our existing group? We should encourage people to come to meetings and events.

- Have picnic with other groups, mixers and what not. Local 501st, the Baltimore Browncoats, the Baltimore SW community, Collector's club.

Be more aggressive with outreach to other groups.

- Stitching and Craft gathering. Stephanie will have more leave time in July and suggested we have a get together to do craft lessons and hang out and craft together. This is any craft from metal work to beading to sewing. All are welcome.

- Superman premier attendance in Virginia was discusses as well as a road trip to the IMAX theater in Philadelphia.

- The Virginia premier will be June 29th and we discussed the midnight show.
    - The Imax trip will be the thursday before Shoreleave in Philadelphia. We discussed staying over somewhere between Philly and Hunt Valley or just staying over in Philly. Any comment from our PA representative? Wendy?

- Pirates of the Carribean openning. Midnight show? Should we see this during Shoreleave? Like a late night show during the con?

- During Shoreleave weekend Wolftrap is having a concert narrated by Leonard Nimoy and will feature the National Symphony Orchestra. Music will be from sci-fi movies, including SW and Trek as well as Holst's the Planets.

- The National Symphony Orchestra at Wolftrap will also feature music from Video games. Here are the details: Friday, August 4 at 8:30 PM
    PLAY! A Video Game Symphony Award-winning music from FINAL FANTASY®, Sonic the Hedgehog, World of WarCraft®, Battlefield 1942, and many more titles. Outstanding graphics on large screens above the orchestra will accompany the scores, highlighting memorable moments from these blockbuster video games. Shall we go as a GS event?

- Wizard of Oz music at Wolftrap on August 5th.

- We should start working on Dragoncon costumes.

Meeting adjorned at 5:31.
  2. Darth_Minx Jedi Master

star 4
    Believe me, the meeting was even funnier in person. We could not stay on topic to save our lives.

A couple of notes:

I hope the 7:30pm showing at Tysons on Friday is right. We just exchanged our tickets for that time ;P

The idea of the crafting group is to provide both a time to work on our projects (I am never motivated, this will help me at least) and an opportunity to teach/learn new things. If you're not crafting inclined, you're still welcome to bring other things to the meeting (specifically I'm thinking of Eugenia who promised to teach us belly dancing).

The dues discussion was never completed (like half the topics we discussed).

A topic I think we should bring up at our next meeting: llama/giraffe abuse (you had to be there).
  3. Maleficant Jedi Grand Master

star 5

Ok now do you folks mean Philadelphia or King of Prussia for this IMAX event? I think you actually mean King of Prussia since the other IMAX only does more "educational" types of movies. This makes a difference since from Chrissy's place, that is a 3 hour drive one way.

If wanted, I have limited space for those who want to see the area after the movie.

And right across the street from the IMAX in KoP is a Cheese Cake Factory. ;)
  4. Grand_Moff_Stallion Jedi Knight

star 2
    It's probably Kind of Prussia. Do they do 3D? Because it seems Philly doesn't.
  5. Maleficant Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    There hasn't been a 3D screening of any movie at either IMAX yet. Is Superman going to have a 3D release because I have not heard of that, or is this a question regarding the upcoming EPI 3D release next Spring?
  6. Grand_Moff_Stallion Jedi Knight

star 2
    No, Superman's supposed to be in IMAX 3D. That would kinda blow if they didn't have it in 3D since that would mean there wasn't a copy in that format within 200 miles of DC.
  7. Maleficant Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I can call the theater and see, I trooped there for the opening of ROTS and have a decent realtionship with the Marketing Manager there because of it. :)

But they might not know until right before they get the movie as to which print it will be.
  8. Grand_Moff_Stallion Jedi Knight

star 2
    Well, we wouldn't be going until it'd been there for almost a week, so that should work. Unfortunately, if it's not in 3D, I'm probably going to bow out. IMAX is a cool format, but it's the 3D that's selling me on the drive. :)
  9. Maleficant Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Ok I just got back from seeing X3 at that theater and low and behold...

Starting June 30th, they will have Superman 3D on the IMAX.

But are you sure you want to do that the samw weekend as Shoreleave? It will be there for abit afterwards so everyone doesn't feel rushed to leave after the movie. ;)
  10. Grand_Moff_Stallion Jedi Knight

star 2
    I really couldn't stay more than overnight in Philly, whenever we go. And since I have an away trip planned, anyway, it's more like a nice add on.
  11. Maleficant Jedi Grand Master

star 5
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.