main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mega Man Anniversary & Mega Man X Collections

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by HL&S , May 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, I'm actually starting to get used to the new controller scheme a little, but it still irritates me.

I've made some good progress on MM2 so far.

And, yeah, Ring Man sucked, but I always had problems with Pharoh Man too.

2. Darth-Mauls-Torso

Darth-Mauls-Torso Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 1, 2001
    I unlocked Mega Man: The Power Battles the other day. It's basically a series of boss fights from earlier in the series. It's not without its charm, but so far, meh.

On another note, if this compliation is successful do you think we'll see a Mega Man X collection somewhere down the road? I only ever owned the first one but it's, like, one of my favorite games ever (fear the awesome might of Chill Penguin!). Yessiree bob, a MMX collection would be a bit of alright indeed.

<gets all nostalgic>

3. Fettster

Fettster Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 7, 2003
    Heck, I didn't even play the games on any old system, and the controller scheme's messing with me.

On another note (brought up by the last guy) I would LOVE a MMX collection. Since I've never played those, either.

4. GamePlayer2004

GamePlayer2004 Jedi Youngling

Jul 27, 2004
    Ok, I was a MM3 junky back in the day. But that's the only one I ever played. I have the PS2 version, and apparently you need to beat each game before going to the next one? *i.s. must beat MM1 to play MM2). So I am at Dr. Wily's stage, and I got to a part where the jump is impossible to make (too high) to a bridge after which you have another way too high jump to a ladder. Anyone know what I am talking about? Anyone know what to do? Thanks.

5. GamePlayer2004

GamePlayer2004 Jedi Youngling

Jul 27, 2004
    Ok, nevermind - the magnet beam in Elecman's stage. Got it. Thanks anyways.

6. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    But that's the only one I ever played. I have the PS2 version, and apparently you need to beat each game before going to the next one?

Is this true?

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Not from what I can tell- you can choose whichever game you want when you start.

8. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    I just found out today that this game existed..

How could i have missed this thread!?

Unfortunately, it's a civic holiday in Canada today, so i have to wait till tomorrow before i head out to find it...

Most of my Megaman playing was reserved for the Gameboy versions of the games (usually had all the characters but sometimes in slightly different orders)

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    There's actually an Anniversary Collection of the Gameboy titles coming out too for GBA (which will also have some of the NES titles on it as well, I think).

(I think it was delayed till Sept though)

10. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    There's actually an Anniversary Collection of the Gameboy titles coming out too for GBA (which will also have some of the NES titles on it as well, I think).

I don't think there will be any NES games on it. It is supposed to be a collection of all the GB/GBC Mega Man games. They were similar to the NES games though as most of the bosses were taken directly from them.

11. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    I've only tried playing the first two games, so far,
    but man... If you need a testimony that games today
    are easier then games of yesterday, that first
    Megaman game is it..

I suppose it's probably because they hadn't perfected
    the control/formula yet, but man..So far i've ALMOST
    been able to beat Cutman.. Otherwise...Yikes...

"Megaman II" i'm rippin' thru..Once you get the Metal
    Blades, that game is cake..

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The Mega Man X Collection (containing Mega Man X1-6) hits on January 10th, so I've gone and updated this thread to cover both collection series. IGN's brief look at it (besides pointing out the oddity of Mag Man X5's villians all being named after band members from Guns N Roses) had this todbit too:

"Capcom righted wrongs of the Anniversary collection and fixed the button mapping on the controller. The B button shoots, and the A button jumps, and that, my friends, is all you need."

And all was well with the world.

Now we just need them to reissue the MMA disc with the corrected control scheme...

13. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

The arm cannons were quite popular back then, weren't they? Mega, Samus . . .

The first Orange Clay Man will always be a classic for me. My brothers and I fought the bugger for hours till victory . . . without the stop-start/elec shot trick.

Okay, yes. We used that trick. It was the only way! But there was one later Wily stage bubble boss it didn't work on.

14. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    I honestly want to get the MMX collection but there is no European release date announced :(

15. ToxicNed

ToxicNed Grand Poobah of Madison WI - FF CR star 4

May 2, 2002
    Oh geez, I can't beat that turkey on the PS2 version because they removed the pause glitch. I never beat him in the original Mega Man without that trick. Strangely enough, I beat him no problem when he reappeared in one of the later games.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Ya know, I never checked, but would I be right in assuming they removed the "super jump/no-pit death" second controller trick from Mega Man 3?

17. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    You know I never cared much for the Mega man series yet I love the X ones :p

18. ToxicNed

ToxicNed Grand Poobah of Madison WI - FF CR star 4

May 2, 2002
    I'd think that'd be a safe assumption. Then again, you know what they say about assuming... It involves you, a mule, and a bag of coffee beans... Or something along those lines.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Picked up the MMX Collection the other day. Looking forward to diving back into those classics.

Still, even though they apparently fixed it for the MMXC, it reminds me of how useless the MMAC is with the swapped controller scheme problem. So, I wonder- anyone know if it's possible to mod a GCN controller to swap the functionality of the A and B buttons? Having a dedicated controller for Mega Man AC is definitely something I'd like to look into if it's possible.

20. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

What Mega Man 3 pit jump? I once had a Vader of tip magazines. How'd I miss that?

Hey, they should make a Mega Woman! . . . Well, why not?

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >>What Mega Man 3 pit jump?<<

If you had someone hold down right on the D-pad of controller 2, Mega Man would be able to jump super high, as well as walk along or jump out of pits. There's also a way to time it so that it drains all your energy but Mega Man becomes invincible (though you lose the ability to use the arm cannon and must rely on boss weapons).

>>Hey, they should make a Mega Woman!<<

I always kinda wondered why they never made a game focusing on Roll.

22. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Evidently you can play as a girl in Mega Man ZX for the DS, which may be a first. (Not including The Misadventures Tron Bonne, and anything else I'm forgetting.) [face_thinking]

23. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

These "3D" games are nothing to the old classics.

24. GavinStrife

GavinStrife Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 15, 2005
    I just wish they'd put the MMX collection on the PSP or something... now that would be awesome... and yes, i'm full aware of the new MMX1 on PSP, but thats a revamped version, i want the old SNES/PS ones...

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >> These "3D" games are nothing to the old classics<<

Only a couple Mega Man games have been made in 3D (Mega Man 64 and, I believe, Mega Man Legends), and they weren't very successful. Almost every Mega Man title made in recent years has been good ol' side-scroller-shooter goodness (and, in the case of the Mega Man Zero series, good ol' frustratingly-frelling-hard-side-scroller-shooter goodness), not counting the Battle Network series which seems to be slightly more RPG/collector in style.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.