main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Mega thread: Sequels and spinoff films and the overall saga

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by anakinfansince1983 , Jun 20, 2017.

1. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

Look on the light side. Considering the disastrous set up given to it by TFA, maybe you won't like TLJ, either.

grd4 likes this.
  2. Nibelung

Nibelung Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 18, 2017
    Indeed. At this point, though, I doubt I'll see it in theaters.

I was just reading through the Art of TFA book the other day, and thinking how surprisingly little effort there was in terms of scripting & outlining a coherent story vs. the reams of concept art produced.

The PT was much the same way by the end of it, but at least it had the benefit of a previously outlined story it had to tell. In this case, Disney was groping for a story without any clear idea what an overall arc for the Sequel Trilogy would be. And that seems like a recipe for -- well, if not disaster, then certainly incoherent filmmaking.

3. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    How staggered are you then by the overwhelmingly positive reviews from fans & critics. The success, the awards, like being included in the AFI top 10 films of 2015, etc etc? Must be the first incoherent movie to attract all of that praise.
    That's the label given to Lucas, as he ushered in the blockbuster era complete with cross promotions & toy sales.

PymParticles , DrDre and Martoto77 like this.
  4. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Last year, Abrams talked about his excitement about the direction Johnson was taking and regretted not having any further involvement. So it's no surprise that he's jumped at the chance to bring the ST home.

Presumably JJ believes Episode VIII is very strong. Enthusiasm and vindication of your creative instincts can be powerful allies.

Darth Downunder likes this.
  5. Nibelung

Apr 18, 2017
    Not by a long shot. Aside from the nostalgia rush sweetening the reviews, Star Wars is hardly the first film franchise to have a sequel that divided reception among fans because it played it safe and explored no new territory.

I'm really condemning with faint praise -- TFA is by no means a bad movie, but it's hardly my favorite SW film. It's too paint-by-numbers, too much "put this thing in because Star Wars has these things," at least in my opinion.

6. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    Nostalgia rush? Maybe. If those reviewers are recalling how it feels to be swept off their feet with a delightful yarn in a strange yet familiar world. Rather than a loose polemic set in a gentrified version of that same universe.

You can't do that by simply plonking in certain tokens. It's a feeling. More to do with how we appreciate music than literary creativity.

7. Nibelung

Apr 18, 2017
    To each their own. I mean, I can definitely understand preferring TFA to the PT. I just personally find it hard to get enthused about the world of the ST.

8. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Depends what you call "division". No SW movie is ever going to please everyone. For more detail I recall once answering the suggestion that it's a divisive movie here.

9. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    if jj directs 9 i'm glad.

STAR WARS The Last Jedi SPOILER Pics! Part 100!

New SPOILER pics including vehicles, CRAIT and the AT-M6!

DrDre and Darth Downunder like this.
  10. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    "This is the kind of efficiency that makes you proud to be of this era".

The ST seems to just come and go. I feel quite old that I cannot keep up with this momentum...

11. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Damned interesting info here about the development of TFA. Particularly the role Lucas played in the story concept phase. A must-read for anyone who's interested in that topic.

12. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    STAR WARS The Last Jedi More SPOILER TOY Pics! Part 101

Anovos helmets, Black Series, Takara Tomy Metakore and more!

STAR WARS The Last Jedi SPOILER Pics! Part 102!

New Posters, promo pics and other images!

Mostly Handless likes this.
  13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm around to find out what happens to Finn, and to see if Rey is Luke's daughter or related to any of the OT characters. I'm somewhat interested in her journey and the direction Luke decides to take the Jedi, if he takes the Order in any direction at all.

Unfortunately I cannot muster anything other than apathy for the First Order or anyone in it, not even enough to care if the Resistance defeats them.

Just let Finn do something cool and don't let Rey be cloned off Luke's hand or some **** like that.

And someone write a book about Lor San Tekka.

So...enthusiasm? For the ST itself, no, just mild interest at this point. The spinoffs are another story.

14. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    The fact that Inside Out and The Force Awakens were put on the same list as Room, Carol, The Big Short and The Martian is hilariously stupid given the sheer disparity in performance, writing and editing. Especially when that list is created by the AFI.

15. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Thanks for your opinion. Some others would no doubt question the placement of other movies on that list. What you find however is that the AFI grade movies according to their intended goal & audience. So a brilliantly made crowd pleasing commercial film like TFA can be placed alongside "serious" dramatic fare if it's considered exceptional within its own genre. Which seemed to be the overwhelming consensus among critics, fans & the general public.

Sarge likes this.
  16. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    You're welcome. Glad you appreciate it.

I'm sure.

Your (and the AFI's, apparently) standards for "brilliantly made" must be astonishingly low given that The Force Awakens is a film that has an unbelievably uneven story that squanders its potential for unnecessary callbacks that don't even need to exist, characters that act less like individuals in legitimate peril and more like Star Wars fans on an amusement park ride half the time, poorly realized characters that come off as increasingly uninteresting with every viewing, pacing that makes the film generic at best (and harmful to character development at worst) and one of the weakest climaxes in the history of Star Wars.

17. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Sure but you must realise that your opinion, while completely valid is an outlier. That's fine though, even the most acclaimed movies have their detractors. Take the Godfather as one example. If you look at the IMDb ratings breakdown here we see that over 36,000 people rated it 1/10. What many people judge as the greatest movie ever considered completely worthless by enough people to fill a decent sized town. Opinions!

DarthCricketer and Strongbow like this.
  18. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
  19. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
  20. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    Hm? Wasn't this common KNXLEDGE?

21. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    I'm almost tempted to line my signature with posts consisting of people attempting to discredit others by making the stupid and vacuous argument that their opinions are just their opinions. I mean, I can hardly blame Darth Downunder when he can only regurgitate the opinions of other critics without offering a substantial one of his own.

22. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    First time I've been accused of not having an opinion!

23. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001

It's interesting because I always felt Solo's death "felt" like one of the few genuine George Lucas Star Wars moments in the whole of TFA. Hard to explain but just something away it's shot and set-up makes it feel like Lucas Star Wars... Almost like he flew in to London for the day, shot that scene, then flew out again.

I would guess Solo's death at the hands of his son was one of the few things that was kept largely unchanged for Lucas' story drafts?

Mostly Handless likes this.
  24. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Well, it does elevate Han's importance in the Saga considerably while continuing the tradition of Skywalker tragedies and that's a very Lucas thing to do.

Mostly Handless and Sarge like this.
  25. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    I just realised that in The Force Awakens, the relationship between Leia and Luke, and therefore Luke and Kylo Ren, is never expressed (except in the crawl). At least, I don't remember it being acknowledged.

The absence of explicit references in the dialogue to lineage does allow for Kylo not fully knowing or fully appreciating the connections between himself and Luke and Vader.