main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Mega thread: Sequels and spinoff films and the overall saga

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by anakinfansince1983 , Jun 20, 2017.

1. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Hilarious. You're actually holding Lucas of all people up as a pillar of artistry. There are true filmmaking artists out there who produce work devoid of any financial consideration who would be dumbfounded at that suggestion.
    A studio at the top that isn't controlled by one man. So just as with almost every one of the greatest movies ever made. What a terrible situation :rolleyes:
    My response to that response would be: don't like it, don't watch it.

Jcuk likes this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I’m mostly happy about this because I had been concerned that the trilogy after Episode IX would be The Continued Adventures of Kylo Ren’s Shampoo’ed Locks. Han is dead, Leia will be soon, and I’m not sure Luke will make it out of Episode IX. That’s better than the Legends EU which took too many lengths to not kill off the OT3, but at the same time, the Disneyverse has made Han and Leia’s only child from the post-NJO Jacen, and unless Rey turns out to be Luke’s daughter, I’m not sure I’m interested in the Skywalkers anymore after IX.

I hope the new trilogy takes place in the Old Republic era. An “unexplored corner” of the universe could mean anything, and there are a lot of unexplored corners. And the live action show has a lot of different directions it could take.

My only concern with Johnson is that he seems to love Force lore, which is my least favorite aspect of Star Wars.

Mostly Handless and TheMoldyCrow like this.
  3. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    My reaction upon reading the headline:

"A New Star Wars Trilogy..."

Oh, for God's sake...Disney, you money-grubbing spawns of Hell...

"From Rian Johnson"

Thank the Lord!

Mostly Handless likes this.
  4. TheMoldyCrow

TheMoldyCrow Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2015
    I said this in another thread, but if this trilogy is set in the Old Republic period, then I hope they really emphasize the OLD part. The KOTOR games and comics looked too similar to the films to be 4,000 years before them. Why not have guns that fire bullets instead of blaster bolts?

darkspine10 likes this.
  5. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Even the Old Republic is a prequel, which places some limitations on what can happen. I hope the JT (Johnson Trilogy. I just made that up & plan to trademark it) moves the story forward beyond the ST timeline. Something completely new & fresh. With absolutely no constraints on what might happen.

kalzeth and DrDre like this.
  6. DrDre

DrDre Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 6, 2015
    I think it's the most exciting Star Wars news in a while. The idea of something completely new with RJ at the helm is a very appealing prospect.

7. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Definitely! I also hope that this is just the beginning; that they'll start digging deeper for interesting filmmakers who might have something fresh and exciting to offer.

8. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    The live-action series also has enormous potential. They could do an epic long-form action/drama series, or they could make it an anthology. A new story told each season.

9. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    I'm definitely thinking the Unknown Regions for this Rian Johnson trilogy. Perhaps we'll finally get to see the Chiss in live action? A young Snoke (and his race) maybe?..Endless, and exciting possibilities for new stories to be told in the GFFA.

10. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Care to divulge why?..or are you just being flippant?

11. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Just saw a suggestion that the JT could be about the early discovery of the Force & the foundation of the Jedi Order. Perhaps involving the first temple on Ahch-To, & the first dark Jedi to break ranks. Intriguing.

Mostly Handless and Lulu Mars like this.
  12. Taylore

Taylore Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 14, 2017
    A show that leans into drama and deep character development, which of course TCW did pretty well, but a show that does that in live-action could be so very, very cool. I guess that I'm hoping for a 'prestige drama' type of series, but even if it's an anthology or something lighthearted, this is exciting news.

I could go for that. I hope that whatever the JT turns out to be (by the way, great coinage of 'JT') that it isn't an adaption of a popular existing story from the books or games, as great as some of those are. I think that there's an opportunity here to really dig deep and make something revelatory. Maybe even play up Star Wars' fantasy roots more explicitly, if the story is set far enough in the past.

13. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Well, he has done the last Jedi, so he might as well go ahead and do the first too.

14. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    I get the impression that RJ developed quite a bit of lore while working on VIII, perhaps some of this material will be the starting point for his new trilogy?:)

Darth Downunder likes this.
  15. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012

Clearly, this line of discussion will not go anywhere productive.

@CT-867-5309 You are being either tremendously sarcastic or you have decided to bait this entire forum.

16. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I'm holding him up as an artist, which is what he is. Walt Disney was an artist too. The Walt Disney Company isn't.

Which suggestion? And who produces work devoid of any financial consideration? Who's paying said work? You either have the money or you go ask for it. George had the money, which he earned mostly from merchandise.

So what? It's controlled by a committee whose concern is not of telling a story or materializing an unique creative vision, but to make a product and sell it.

Ah, that objective definition that we all agree on...

A pointless response since I've always voted with my wallet nor was that ever an issue.

17. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Alexrd You don't agree with Lucas then that Disney was the perfect home for Lucasfilm and Star Wars?

And do you dismiss the fact that Lucas admittedly only made more than one Star Wars movie because he intended for them to make as much money from himself as possible so that he could be financially independent from the studios at the time so that he could make his "own" films, i.e. films that weren't Star Wars.

18. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    In this list you'll find many of the greatest movies ever made: http://www.imdb.com/chart/top250

Almost all of them were produced by corporations run by ruling committees, such as Disney, MGM, Paramount, Universal, Columbia etc etc. What an awful predicament for SW to now be a part of that structure.

DrDre and Martoto77 like this.
  19. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Not directed toward anyone in particular, but please keep the discussions civil.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  20. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
  21. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
  22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I’d likely give a Padme in ROTS book the same reviews I gave Dark Disciple. A Padme POV of TPM and AOTC and the years in between would be great though.

23. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    What's considered the "greatest movies ever made" is completely subjective. An online ranking doesn't change that fact. To pretend that said ranking is proof of anything is ludicrious. Those movies were made by artists with varying degrees of "creative" involvement by studios.

Star Wars came from the mind of one person: George Lucas, not a corporation nor a committee. All the latter are able to do is take the existing content (content that only exists because there was a story to tell and an imagination able to materialize it) and deliver it again (or worse, corrupt it), according to whatever people desire most. Like fast-food.

Fans are in charge now, and as part of the audience, they are limited to what came before and cherry pick according to their preferences.

{Quantum/MIDI} likes this.
  24. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Quite frankly, those popular subjective considerations certainly have significantly more credence than your entirely spurious supposition of what Lucasfilm is incapable of doing or intending to do in contrast to what George Lucas was all about. At least existence those polls of perennially lauded films (whether they reflect your attitudes or not) and the fact that they were made within the studio system are objective truths.

As for George Lucas, the mind and heart that brought us Star Wars actually wanted to make a Flash Gordon movie because he knew it would be popular with young kids (he was a fan), unlike the downbeat movies sci-fi or otherwise, which were not very successful at the box office. But he was denied the rights. And so he was compelled to try and create his own Flash Gordon.

So a Flash Gordon fan had to find a way of making a Flash Gordon film by cherry picking what he thought was the appeal of those stories and building his own universe within which he could play those aspects out.

Once American Graffiti became a success and Lucas began to see how much money could be made, he renegotiated his contract for Star Wars to ensure that if his Flash Gordon became a success, all the profits that could be associated with it, would come to him. This meant that a successful film might not just give him greater creative control for his "own, personal art films" that he intended to direct, it might give him financial independence in producing those films.

The narrative that Star Wars is some artistically pure flower that managed to shoot up through the concrete shell that the studios try to pave over true, pure artistic creativity is false.

You are still entitled to hold a higher opinion of George Lucas than any other artist, person or entity on the planet. But the narrative that's both explicit and implicit in your outright dismissal of every thing not processed through George Lucas as the final arbiter is one that you have created is a romanticised hagiography.

Krueger, PymParticles and DrDre like this.
  25. DrDre

DrDre Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 6, 2015
    Correction: Star Wars came from the mind of many artists, the most important being George Lucas. Did George Lucas write all the screenplays for the films by himself locked up in an office? Did george Lucas write all the dialogue that is now quoted by fans and non fans alike? Did George Lucas direct all of the films? Did George play all the beloved characters in the films? Did George Lucas design the iconic look of the films? Did George Lucas create the memorable sound effects of the films, such as Vader's breathing? Did George Lucas compose the soundtrack of the films? I'm sure I forgot a bunch of other things, but all of these things define and contributed to Star Wars, and it's success. Would Star Wars have worked without Harrison Ford and Alec Guiness? Would it have worked if some other composer had provided the soundtrack? I could go on, but the most probable answer is, who knows? Either way to most fans all of these things are important in shaping the experience they had watching these films. All of these things are part of the films released under the banner Star Wars. So, please stop with this mind of one person business. Without George Lucas there is no Star Wars, for sure. However, without all of the contributions of those dozens of other artists, Star Wars wouldn't be what it is today.

Corporations hire artists who depending on the circumstances create works of art. Many of the most celibrated films were produced by corporations. I'm sure there are a couple you like.

Darth Downunder likes this.