main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Mega thread: Sequels and spinoff films and the overall saga

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by anakinfansince1983 , Jun 20, 2017.

1. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    ^^^Well played.[face_laugh]

Darth_Articulate likes this.
  2. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Mark Hamill wishes Disney had listened to George Lucas’s guidance and advice

Oh look, just like I've been saying all along... To Mark Hamill you listen.

3. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017

STAR WARS: EPISODE VIII - THE LAST JEDI
    WALT DISNEY STUDIOS MOTION PICTURES | RELEASE DATE:DECEMBER 15, 2017

METASCORE
    Universal acclaim

Yeah, i'm not feeling too bad about that.

4. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    [Insert you should have listened meme here]

5. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Ad populum?

You shouldn't feel bad. After all, you got what you ordered and that's precisely the difference between then and now.

6. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    More realistic user score incoming.

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I only ask for a few things in this movie (no spoilers here):

—Don’t mushify Rey. Don’t turn her into a sappy heroine of a bad YA novel, or even have her exhibit even a modicum of those traits.

—Pass the torch to the new generation of heroes but do so respectfully, with the old heroes’ legacies intact. I like that Han died heroically, trying to save his son, in TFA. Other OT deaths need to be heroic as well, and don’t sully their characters in order to make the new characters, particularly Kylo, more sympathetic.

—Give Finn chances to prove his awesomeness. Don’t sideline him.

Not sure I’m getting any of that based on early rumors. In which case I’m fully on board with the “they should have used Lucas’ outline” train.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  8. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    I guess there's an argument to say that the "Saga" is no more, or has evolved into something totally different now and unrecognizable from the original Lucas vision of the 70's or the revised Lucas vision of the 90's.

Whatever the ST will mean for Star Wars in years to come, IMHO, the Saga is now EPI-III, RO, EPIV-VI.

9. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Too late for that, I'm afraid. They've completely ignored Han's character arc by turning him into a mere smuggler again (basically, back to square one) because that's what the fans™ want to see. And from what I've read and seen so far, Luke is on the same boat.

Thankfully there's always Return of the Jedi, where Luke renounces the dark side and declares himself as a Jedi, and Han is a (military) leader in an altruistic cause.

10. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I don't understand you.

I don't understand a lot of people. This group that seems dedicated to not enjoying anything new. I understand just not liking something. No one can force you to enjoy something, and that's a good thing. But there is just so much negativity, and towards films that have been generally well received. Is it some kind of petty revenge for people that gave the prequels crap? Is it some search for vindication that someone else's Star Wars is inferior to "your" Star Wars?

I don't get it. And I want to get it.

11. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    My lack of enjoyment has nothing to do with something being new or old.

Again, why do you bring ad populum as an argument? Appealling to the majority is a fallacy. Anyone is free to criticize or praise a movie, if it's "generally well received" or not is irrelevant.

What?! Revenge and vindication?! Who's even talking about the prequels? Where are you getting all that stuff? I'm the one who doesn't get that reasoning.

Star Wars is not mine and never was. It's a fctional body of work from the mind and direction of George Lucas. And if that mind and direction is ignored in order to take the Star Wars name for personal and/or on-demand fan fiction, yes, I'll consider it automatically inferior (even that's giving it some credence) anytime. My criticism isn't in just ignoring the story that was yet to be brought to the screen. It's ignoring what was previously established.

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I have liked some of the Disney work. I loved Rogue One. It’s not about being “dedicated to not enjoying anything new.” It’s not about Lucas for me either; I hated ROTS.

It’s about having particular types of films that I enjoy, and Star Wars almost always fitting in with that mold, and a fear that this “something new” will no longer be a type of film that I enjoy.

There are always the spinoffs. My take at the moment is that Rian Johnson and I have widely different opinions on what makes a good film.

13. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    What's wrong with that?

14. Palp Fiction

Palp Fiction Jedi Master star 3

Feb 18, 2003
    The new films have been amazing so far. Even Lucas & Hamill raved about R1. As for the ST, they had no obligation to stick to GL’s ideas precisely. In fact they told him up front before the sale that they might not. Yet he still chose to sell.
    Put simply, Lucas retired & passed the torch. Others are continuing the Saga, & others will take over from them. Lucas has spoken about how happy he is that SW will continue on forever. Long after he’s gone. For now, bring on TLJ!!

15. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I haven't liked the new films thus far because I haven't liked the new films thus far. Pretty simple concept. Has nothing to do with being against new material on principle. Alien 3 is my favorite of that series, for instance, but I loved Covenant.

Outsourced likes this.
  16. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015

Group of what, 5 people? I've superficially enjoyed everything that has been provided.

I just fundamentally disagree with every method being displayed.

17. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Multiple timelines. It's all SW but will follow the story lines I want to.

LordDallos likes this.
  18. LordDallos

LordDallos Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2016
    On this, I completely agree with you.

kalzeth likes this.
  19. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    On an individual level yes, of course. However that Latin quote you're so fond of applies to the fallacious premise that common opinion makes a proposition more true or more valid. It's a great point to make, in some circumstances. However it's an absurd thing to bring up regarding a piece of popular entertainment like a commercial movie. Which is designed to do exactly what ad populum cautions against. Its purpose is to entertain & be enjoyed by as many people as possible. When the goal of something is popularity, or mass entertainment, saying that a measure of that popularity is irreverent is itself a bogus premise. That goes for the movies that Lucas produced as much as the recent ones. He'd be the first to tell you that his primary goal was to provide enjoyment to as much of the audience as possible.

Mostly Handless and Outsourced like this.
  20. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    Well, I'll give you that one. It doesn't have to be any good in order to do that.

Alexrd and kalzeth like this.
  21. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Yes it does. It has to be good at being entertaining & engaging. Without having flaws to the extent that they drag the movie down & spoil that entertainment. Plenty of movies try this & fail miserably.

22. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    Like The Force Awakens.

23. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    It's a fallacy. Something being popular doesn't make it objectively good or better. It's simply popular. I'm not fond of any fallacy and if you see me pointing it out frequently, then it's because said fallacy is being used equally frequently. I'd rather not have to point out anything.

No, it isn't. Movies are first and foremost about artistic expression, which is then promoted and sold to the public. They are a risk. Some movies are made on-demand, to pander the audience. Others (most of them) aren't. Star Wars was made because someone wanted to tell a story. And it was successful because enough people happened to like it. George didn't go around asking people what they wanted to see, that's a complete perversion of the whole thing. He had a vision of what he wanted and a story to tell, and made the movie accordingly. Fortunately, many people liked it which allowed him to continue the story.

Ad populum is about using the masses as an argument for something to be true or (more) valid. It doesn't caution against financial success or the popularity of something.

The purpose is (or was) to tell a story and hopefully to entertain as many people as possible. Not the other way around, at least in the case of Star Wars.

Something being popular or financially sucessful doesn't attest for its quality, authenticity, originality or any other attribute (subjective or otherwise). Only that it's popular and financially sucessful (which all of the SW movies have been).

As long as people continue to appeal to the masses as an attempt to shut down a discussion or refute an argument (impossible), I'll continue to point out that fallacy.

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I’m not a fan of “appeal to the masses” either, especially when the argument is used in the context of, “This movie got good reviews so there is something wrong with you if you dislike it,” which is how I often see it used (albeit not specifically here).

Alexrd , you might be happy to know that George Lucas said this movie was “beautifully made.”

Mostly Handless and kalzeth like this.
  25. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    I've never ever seen anyone argue that a movie must be liked or disliked on the strength of reviews or popular opinion.

I've seen plenty of arguments, both here and elsewhere, that it's a "fact" that such and such film is not worthy of receiving of any praise/negative criticism or hasn't received such a response, in spite of there being overwhelming evidence of a predominantly positive, mixed or negative reception.

Alexrd will be ecstatic that, according to George Lucase there's a new, "beautifully made" Star Wars film.