main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Mega thread: Sequels and spinoff films and the overall saga

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by anakinfansince1983 , Jun 20, 2017.

1. Red23

Red23 Jedi Knight star 1

May 11, 2015
    This is what happens when you design a movie by committee rather than a single artist with a single vision.

Seeker Of The Whills likes this.
  2. Red23

Red23 Jedi Knight star 1

May 11, 2015
    It's a tradition at Disney. As a Star Wars and Disney fan this is like my ultimate nightmare come true. Iger has drained the greatness from both entities.

3. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    There's certainly a (small) pattern of troubled production but these issues are still always a sideshow to the only one that matters - the completed movie. R1 received widespread acclaim from fans & critics. Even Lucas gave it the thumbs up. This change will likely result in a better film that what would've been the case. Why else would an experienced pro like KK take such drastic action? Glad the Saga is in the hands of people who'll do whatever it takes to deliver quality movies. No matter the cost.

4. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
  5. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    That looks like it's going to be some fascinating reading.

6. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    He'll try to do updates on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. He also did specify that whatever he's writing will be his subjective opinion. Just in case.

7. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
  8. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    Well I am officially in wait-and-see mode. I feel like the Han movie could turn into anything at this point.

9. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Something interesting about Han Solo's backstory.

https://d2pq0u4uni88oo.cloudfront.n...bc099ff22807fae210b1f2ad222_h264_high.mp4?_=2
    Does this means they're basically retelling that backstory but on the big screen instead of a multi-episode arc? Or is it another story altogether?

Mostly Handless likes this.
  10. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    Well now most of this is probably doing last minute scenes before the editing and reshoot process. Either Ron keeps the movie where it's at for consistency sake or decides to give the movie the "R1" treatment. Rewrite it. However, I don't know if Disney will allow delays whatsoever...Or more so, long enough delay..

Odd... I don't care for this movie in the slightest. If it comes out good or bad, it really doesn't matter to me.

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I like the December releases so I'm fine with a delay if it comes to that. And as long as Kasdan still has his vision of Han, I'm fine with Howard directing.

12. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I like Ron Howard but he seems like a weird choice for this movie to me for some reason. I've never been real optimistic about the movie to begin with though so that could be part of it.

Bazinga'd likes this.
  13. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012

But what bothers me is summed up in this article.

http://www.gq.com/story/star-wars-han-solo-spinoff-directors

14. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    Hmmm, That does seem to give credit to rumours that some of the anthologies are based off of the old Underworld TV show scripts. Very Interesting. That said according to some other sources (MSW) the idea of Han Solo movie has been kicking around for along time, possibly even from before that Disney sale. we know this because Kasdan was temporarily recruited from the Solo movie to help JJ with re-writes after Arndt left the project.

Edit: Just seen the Ron Howard news. TBH I prefer this to the prospect of Kasdan writing and directing the movie alone. Not because I don't think Kasdan could manage it (I do), but because it mans that there will be another head in the room to bounce ideas off, especially with crunch-time approaching.
    I'm under the impression that Lord and Miller were fired because they weren't sticking closely enough to Kasdan's vision, and according to JJ, auditionees for Young Han should watch Raiders of the Lost Ark in preparation. I've always waned to see an Indiana Jones style Star Wars movie, so I guess that makes me a potentially happy camper. Fingers crossed.:p

15. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001

Now that's a surprising development... Will be fascinating to see what he has to say...

16. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Decent save. Too much Kasdan control makes me nervous, but having an equal like Howard there should help. Plus American Graffiti connections are always a good thing.

17. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Not to mention Willow. Great choice. Let's recall that Lucas himself asked him to direct TPM: http://collider.com/star-wars-episode-1-ron-howard

18. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Yeah but for some odd reason, earlier this year KK said Han Solo wasn't part of it. [face_dunno]

19. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    In that case I stand corrected. Still this movie's exact origins do seem to be a bit of a mystery.[face_thinking]

20. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    One mystery solved.
    [​IMG]

Also as relevant.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    ^ The former director team of the Han Solo movie may disagree with Pablo's last statement. :p

22. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    The only thing that seems off to me is why do it after all this time? Wouldn't a creative difference be noticeable early during filming? Unless they tried to work it out and it didn't so she decided to let them go as a last resort.

23. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002

Lucas asked Willow to direct TPM? To be a fly on the wall during that meeting.

24. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    My guess would be that KK has believed/hoped that she could control the duo and rein them in whenever she deemed it necessary, but finally realized that there was no way that was gonna happen.

25. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    I hear that Ron Howard was offered the job of directing The Phantom Menace, but declined. I didn't think of him as a "mainstream" director, but it could be interesting to see what he does with this film.
    I saw an annoying post saying that Kennedy fired them because they're making the movie have a male lead, but that's just an Instagram troll. Creative differences, in my opinion, is a perfectly acceptable reason to fire a director from an old franchise like Star Wars. Kennedy has the legal right and the moral obligation.