main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

V.C, CA Mel Gibson's "The Passion of the Christ"

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Larena_Jade, Feb 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larena_Jade

Larena_Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2002
    Anyone gunna see it? It's spose to depict every graphic detail. That's why I want to see it, I'm all about the gore, yeah. It will be interesting to see also.
    GO SEE IT!

2. Keiran_Horn

Keiran_Horn Jedi Master star 4

Jul 9, 2002
    I'm right with you, Larena. I plan on seeing it, but only for the supposed "extremely graphic crusafiction scenes". ;)

3. GentleBant

GentleBant Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 21, 1999
    We're planning on going the last Tuesday in February....

Our church reserved Mon/Tues/Wed and managed to sell out all three showings, so it should be kinda neat to see it with people we at least sort-of know.

I'm actually a little scared of the graphic parts of the film.....they're real, so they should be graphic...but I'm very visual and scared of getting even less sleep than normal because of them.

Everyone that I've heard from that has seen it has said it is really high-impact, so I'm looking forward to being moved as well as inspired.

Whew!

4. Keiran_Horn

Jul 9, 2002
    Did anyone else watch the Diane Sawyer interview?

I think Mel was doing a little...medicinal medication, or something. The man looked a little out of it.

5. YoungJedi11

YoungJedi11 Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    Diane sucks. Or whoever else was making up the questions. They kept drilling him, it was very annoying.

I didn't think he looked high. He looked unprepared. He kept getting caught off guard by what they were bringing up.

6. Larena_Jade

Nov 19, 2002
    Well, the movie was awsome. Saw it yesterday.
    Takes on it?

7. Keiran_Horn

Jul 9, 2002
    I saw it this morning. In all honesty, I wasn't very impressed.

I thought the makeup effects were phenomenal, in addition to the soundtrack. I wasn't very "moved" by anything really, the gore especially didn't effect me. I fail to see what all the controversy is all about either, only someone who is already a bigot going into the screening would come out of the theater thinking Mel Gibson was anti-semetic.

Cinematography was excellent, but other than that I found it to be very lackluster. I wasn't moved, nor was I entertained.

8. YoungJedi11

May 20, 2002
    That's very disappointing.

9. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    I think that for anyone who has committed themselves to believing in Christ, this movie will cut to the core.

For those for whom Christ is not of spiritual significance, there is an equal chance of having this be a story, and not much more...without a background in who and what happened, and why (in particular) this should matter, it may either A.) Be a sad story of one man's life, or B.) Possibly make a person wonder more about what this all means. These observations are not meant to put anyone down; on the contrary, I can understand for Keiran not being as touched by it as say, I was.

Those who do not have much of a clue who Jesus is/was (and I would have been one of them up through mid-HS), this could have been a very confusing movie. With no background in who any of those people were, and only a vague idea of Jesus through the holidays of Christmas and Easter (and even then, not really getting it beyond the Hallmark/school vacation ideas), I would have been completely lost in this film. As it was, there were scenes I really had to focus hard on to recall who some of the side characters were, and to recognize the symbolism in some of the scenes. For this group of people, I would imagine that they would come away either confused, annoyed, or curious.

Honestly, I think that Christians will come away most moved/affected by the film, and if Mel's intent was to remind believers of what the Easter season really was all about, all it's emotions and it's pain, too, then I think he succeeded mightily.

10. YoungJedi11

May 20, 2002
    ^ Yes, exactly.

11. PetraPanther

PetraPanther Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 6, 2002
    Yeah, GentleBant, I think you summed up the way this movie will affect people perfectly. For me, I came out with a greater understanding of the love of God. Constantly I was thinking about how unworthy I was for Christ to have to go through all that he did for me. This made me re-think the way I been living. And all my Christian friends have been telling me they get simliar feelings from the film. I doubt there will ever be a film that'll ever top this movie in the emotional feelings it gave me.

12. Larena_Jade

Nov 19, 2002
    I don't think the movie would hit you as "emotional" unless you are a christian. Being a christian isn't religion, it's about having a personal relationship with God. Growing in the Lord. The saying "I love Jesus" doesn't just come from "ok we gotta praise him. Oh powerful God, we love you. this is boring. You are awsome."
    As a person grows in Him, they start to change. When I pray I don't say "Oh Holy One, praises on Thee."
    I'll be in the middle of doing something and I will just start talking, "Hey God, how's it goin? Wassup my Heavenly Homey?"
    It's personal.

ANYWAY. Sorry for getting off track!
    So ya watch the movie, and it is Jesus. Someone you hang with, someone you love cuz He first loved you. And if you repeat in your head while watching it: "He did this for ME." and you emagine Him thinking of YOUR name while He was in pain you will cry.

BUT, without the "Jesus is my Homey" relationship, it's just a guy. Just a movie. Just a bunch of gross stuff. He died. (and your desensitized because you watch "people" die everyday on t.v.)

When it's someone you know, it's different. Like if that was your spouse, mother, FATHER. Heavely Father...

13. Keiran_Horn

Jul 9, 2002
    I should also add that the costumes were excellent, in addition to the striking resemblance Abenander shared with Mel Gibson.

14. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    YJ, Petra, Larena...that's it, perfectly, to me.

I couldn't NOT come away with this intense feeling of "wow.....that was for ME....and for all of us....."
    I had known this for some time, even imagined it, but whoa...when it's played out there for you, in your face, and so well done (I'd have gotten up and left if they all spoke perfect English with British accents...) What are the words to that praise song? "I stand to praise you, but I fall to my knees..."

Keiran, I agree. I felt that the WAY in which the film was done was excellent...I hate to say it, but so often "Christian cinema" tends to be, uh, less than superb in nature. I felt the performances were sincere and believable, the sets and costumes, as well as the cinematography were wonderful, and I really enjoyed that the film was in Aramaic and Latin. (Anyone else find themselves guessing what words meant what in one of the languages?) I did find it interesting that while some of the characters that got more screen time were NOT named (tho I knew who they were), Abenader (sp?) was named, several times. Hmmm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.