main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:VIC Melbourner's Like To Eat! Here is where we think you should go.

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Koroshiya_keefu, Nov 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Koroshiya_keefu

Koroshiya_keefu Jedi Master star 2

Jan 3, 2005

Okay,

Since many people here like talking about eats, and various places to eat, I thought we should list some awesome food consumption institutions and experiences.

Since I've posted this topic, I'll post my favourites.

First up:

Longrain

http://www.longrain.com.au/melb_INTRO.htm

I'd call it Thai fusion, in an almost banquet like setting, where you sit with other groups of people.

Awesome dishes include: Dry red curry of braised duck with snake beans, wild ginger & holy basil. Also: Peanut curry of braised wagyu beef with thai basil & red chilli. Or: Crisp fried soft shell crab with green mango salad & roasted eschalot dressing.

It has a fun atmosphere, and an AWESOME coctail and wine list. I'd reccomend sticking with a Tasmanian chardonay.

Secondly:

Il Bacaro

http://www.ilbacaro.com.au/html/s01_home/home.asp?

Il Bacaro is a sophisticated evening out, with a loved one, or even a group of friends who have the cash for one evening of decadent taste bud explosions. A modern Italian menu, is complemented with one of the best wine lists in Melbourne. Three course meal is best finished with a fine Hennesy Cognac.

Try: Organic baby chicken wrapped in prosciutto, filled with pumpkin and ricotta, served on an oyster mushroom ragu. Or: roasted breast of Barbary duck served on truffle infused polenta with an apple sauce.

Thirdly:

Wing Loong

A basic Cantonese styled restaurant located in Chinatown, cheap as chips and serves up a staple Roast pork with Crispy skin pork on fried rice. I attempt to eat here every weekend. I wonder if my health actually minds. It better not. Although, it can be hit or miss... Most people I've taken there don't seem to enjoy themselves... If you understand Cantonese cooking, and don't mind slap dash serving and presentation, then you'll be fine.

Fourthly:

Red Silks

http://www.redsilks.com/index.asp

Located up the stairs near Chinatown cinema, it offers the rang of Chinese dishes, in a colourful environment, and a nice outdoor area for the warmer evenings. My favourite dish is the Thai chilli fish. It also has cheap ass coctails most under $10, so it's a great place to get the evening started, or just get totally blind and never leave.

-----

There you have it. I am now totally hungry! Oh yes! 12.15pm! Lunch, here I come!

Also, I am sorry if I made you drool onto your keyboard.

2. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    Umm... umm... umm... I like Gopals. Cheap Hari Krisha food, here I come!

3. Jedi_Knight88

Jedi_Knight88 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 18, 2005
    *Chants* High in iron, high in iron...

4. PulsarSkate

PulsarSkate Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2003
    [face_laugh]

I mean, Hari Krishna food is awesome. What's that place in Swanston street? Crossways? Pathways? They're gold. And so damn chripy and happy to see you! I like that in a place.

That being said, here are my scungy artyfarty suggestions:

Joe's Garage, Brunswick St

Tasty giant meals, fairly average prices (between $10 - $20 for most things) and they do a mean breakfast. Choice of beer isn't half bad and their cakes are gigantic mouthfuls of awesome. Full of win.

Thresherman's Bakehouse, Carlton

You sit at big tables, you eat big meals, you chat to the cool coffee guy, buy lots of bread for a dollar and read the paper if you can fight for it. Now that they do alcohol and cooked meals that aren't from the baymarie, they've lost a little goodness, but I still like them.

The Retreat

Okay, fine. It's a pub. But they do excellent food, the music is never bad* and outdoors is great.

*this promise only works if your musical taste is as eclectic as my own :p

I am PulsarSkate and I'm a fat basta...and I approve of this thread.

5. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    Yeah, there is Crossways, but that's cheap and crap. Gopals is also in Swanston street, only much better (i.e. warm when you eat it) and only a little more expensive.

And Threshermans is great.

6. Koroshiya_keefu

Jan 3, 2005
    Whats all this talk about cheap food? I demand that everyone who posts on these forums pay nothing less than $30.00 a meal. Even if you just go and buy a Happy Meal at Maccy Ds, you need to fork over $30.00 and tell them to keep the change!

7. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    $30.00?!? Dear god, some of us are students, you know!

8. Koroshiya_keefu

Jan 3, 2005
    That's no excuse if you are a student. You still should be richer than astronauts!

I myself am quite tight when it comes to forking money over for food. I like doing the whole scouring the Coles shelves for whats on special. But it is nice to be able to have an expensive meal once in a while, even if you don't have anyone to take with you... :_|

9. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001

Citrus is one of the best restaurants in Greater Melbourne, period, and is located in Beaumaris just next to the Lobster Cave for all you suburbanites.

Quite simply magnificent food.

If you're wanting cocktails - as the opening page would suggest - go to either L'otel in St Kilda, which is just an awesome venue and has awesome cocktails (I recommend the Liquid Cocaine if you're up for a big one) or the creme de la creme of cocktails in Melbourne, Der Raum located in richmond just opposite another nice pub, the Swan.

If you're an inner city bogan/toff/idiot, there is of course the wonderous fair of chinatown - which I think we sometimes take for granted, it has some of the best oriental cuisine in the world - or for a real treat, Langtons on Collins is fantastic as is Adelphi's, where Izard works his magic.

And for any who whinge about prices, remember this piece of PoT wisdom: eat out less, but eat out well; appreciate the food more, and be healthier for it as well!

10. Koroshiya_keefu

Jan 3, 2005
    PoT has been quoted for the truth!

Nice selection there! I took a rabble to Manchuria this Saturday past, and it was a roaring success!

11. SithLord-Mixo

SithLord-Mixo Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 21, 2002
    No way!!! No meat=No Mixo

12. Ree

Ree Jedi Master star 5

Jan 25, 2005
    If you like Chinese, go to Post-Mao Cafe in China town Melbourne.
    It's closer to the Russel St end. =D=

13. Koroshiya_keefu

Jan 3, 2005
    Ree, your suggestion better be good! If I spend 10 dollars or more and come out hallucinating...

14. Jedi_Knight88

Jan 18, 2005
    ...or come out spouting pro-Communist rhetoric...:p

15. Koroshiya_keefu

Jan 3, 2005
    Daph! Huzzah! I logged in, as you can obviously see. Hooray for Communism etc etc.

16. Jedi_Knight88

Jan 18, 2005
    Well done! And I see I'll have to de-Communise you by throwing you into a hypnotic chamber, Derek Zoolander style :p

17. Ree

Ree Jedi Master star 5

Jan 25, 2005
    HAHA! you guys make me laugh.

nah it just claims that their recipes are ones created by Mao Zedong...but I don't know how valid that is.
    It has the best Honey chicken and lemon chicken...and i dont like lemon chicken.
    LAst time i went I tried a weird dish and it turned out really nice!

P.S Just want to say how much I like our Victoria banner :D

18. Koroshiya_keefu

Jan 3, 2005
    Victoria huzzah! Mmm lemon chicken, but give me roast pork and crispy skin pork anyday.

19. PulsarSkate

PulsarSkate Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2003
    KEEEEEEF! :D

*cough* Food. Food is good.

20. Jedi_Knight88

Jan 18, 2005
    I love having a thread devoted entirely to food :D

21. Koroshiya_keefu

Jan 3, 2005
    I had porridge for dinner the other night because I forgot to go supermarketing. Hooray for hunger!

22. Ree

Ree Jedi Master star 5

Jan 25, 2005
    I wanna try proper Japanese food...not this sushi/california roll stuff.
    Anyone know a good place?? Preferably in the city?

23. Koroshiya_keefu

Jan 3, 2005
    This is my number 1 favourite Japanese eatery! I go here on a regular basis.

Izakaya Chuji

165 Lonsdale St, Melbourne 3000

Open: mon-fri noon-2.l5pm: mon-thurs, sat 6-10.15pm: fri 6-11.15pm; Licensed, BYO bottled wine only, Corkage $1.50 Person (Monthurs): $2 Person (Fri-Sat); Cards ae be dc mc n eftpos; Seats inside 100

24. Ree

Ree Jedi Master star 5

Jan 25, 2005
    Wow! All the info is there. THanks man! [face_peace]

25. Koroshiya_keefu

Jan 3, 2005
    I aim to please!

It's a great place to go... It's not expensive and the food and drinks selection is brilliant. Make sure to get a selection of dishes, drinks and have fun whilst picking away! Hurrah!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.