main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Melting (Obi, Qui) ~*Completed 2/15/03*~

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Cascadia, Feb 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cascadia

Cascadia Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    I've been slowly working on this over the last two months. It *is* finished and will be about five or six parts, I guess, depending on how I choose to break it up. I'll post a part of it everyday until complete.

TITLE: MELTING
    AUTHOR: Cascadia
    TIME: 10 years pre-TPM, Obi-Wan is 15
    RATING: PG
    CATEGORY: Hurt/Comfort/Angst/Fluff, Non-Slash
    SUMMARY: When Obi-Wan falls seriously ill during a simple visitation to a tropical island, Qui-Gon realizes how much the padawan means to him.
    AUTHOR'S NOTE: This little incident was mentioned twice in another story of mine, Remnants in the Mind. But it is *not* relevant to read it to understand this better.
    ARCHIVE: Please ask first. Sites who have previously archived any of my stories may archive any of them that they want to without asking.
    DISCLAIMER: All recognizable characters are the property of Lucasfilm Limited. All the rest belong to me. I receive no profit from this.

MELTING

Cagonor was a world of glittering turquoise water dotted with countless islands. Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn and his fifteen-year-old apprentice, Padawan Obi-Wan Kenobi, had been sent to observe various primitive tribes across the islands.

Obi-Wan loved the tropical climate; his face beamed with an innocent joy. He savored the sensuous feel of ivory sand between his toes, even the parching hot radiance of the blinding white sun, so distinctly foreign from Coruscant. To Obi-Wan, this was paradise.

"Look, Master," said Obi-Wan, holding a large pearly conk shell in his hands. "I've heard about these, but I've never actually seen one." His fingers ran over the hard-ridged surface and then held it up to his ear, and he closed his eyes.

He looked so innocent, so precious in that moment, that Qui-Gon felt an odd sense of joy blossoming deep in his heart. A joy he had not felt since . . .

"I can hear the roar of oceans in here, Master," the boy quietly said, opening eyes as blue and sparkling as the sea. "Almost like there's a giant sea contained in this little shell. Want to listen?" he asked, offering the shell with a disarmingly sweet smile.

Qui-Gon took it and placed the shell to his ear, while his padawan stood and watched, a sea breeze tossing the boy's padawan braid against his chest.

"It sounds beautiful, Padawan. Maybe we can take the ocean home with us."

Obi-Wan laughed in the sunlight.

~*~

The locals of Kontu said the trees protected them. Their exotic curves lined the coast, hiding the people from warring tribes that traversed the waves. Delicate lacey chartreuse fronds waved lightly in the sea breeze as it carried the faint fragrance of bangi nuts.

Obi-Wan had taken the liberty of scampering up the stringy-barked glomhuel trees to fetch the large fibrous nuts that grew in the upper reaches.

"Master," the boy shouted from the top of one such tree. "Which ones did they say were the best?"

"Look for the ones with the husk about to split," Qui-Gon yelled back, watching with apprehension as the boy held on by one arm wrapped around the trunk. "Be careful, Obi-Wan," he added with masterly concern.

"If I was careful, then you'd never get any practice for keeping your Jedi serenity," the boy replied with a smirk.

"You enjoy teasing me, Padawan," said the master, plain-faced and feigning sternness.

"Of course, Master," the boy went on with his charming impertinence. "Why do I sense that you enjoy it too?"

A smile spread unbidden across Qui-Gon's face. "Perhaps because you've had an exceptional teacher, young Padawan."

~*~

A small shuttle ferried them among the scattered islands, dropping them off and returning to pick them up, only to take them another island after a few days. However, engine trouble had left them stranded on the Kontu island. It would be many more days before the shuttle could return.

"I've never seen such a beautiful sunrise, Master," Obi-Wan whispered almost reverently, captivated by the liquid wash of lilac and silver glowing across the skies. His face was softly pai

2. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    A new story from Cas?

:eek:

:D

(dances around happily)

And what a story it's been so far. Beautifully (dare I say perfectly) written, with a great plot and backdrop.

Definitely going on my 'must-read' list. (Not that any story of yours wouldn't be. ;) )

Truly stunning, Cas. I eagerly await more.

3. Aunecah_Skywalker

Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 25, 2002
    I'm first! (I hope.) Well, what a wonderful story, Cas . I loved it. On the other hand, I'm a little unsettled by the last line. What's that supposed to mean? Qui isn't ... thinking ... in that sense ... is he? Or maybe, I'm just getting paranoid after reading all Obi-torture threads. 8-}

This doesn't fit in with the rest of the reply (awkwardly different sentence structure), but it needs to be said: I loved the imagery in the post. :D

EDIT: ugh! LE beat me to it. :(

Aunecah

4. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    :) Yeah! I can go to bed with a smile on my face!

5. Jovieve

Jovieve Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    "I've never seen such a beautiful sunrise, Master," Obi-Wan whispered almost reverently, captivated by the liquid wash of lilac and silver glowing across the skies. His face was softly painted in the growing light.

Beautifully written palette of colors, Cas. I can almost feel it.

Can't wait for more.

6. CYNICAL21

CYNICAL21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 8, 2001
    Marvelous, Cas - a watercolor portrait of soft perfection. Sigh! [face_love]

More loveliness soon would be nice.

CYN

7. ForceAchtungBaby

ForceAchtungBaby Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2002
    Wowsers! I'm in awe and bow before you...those kinds of descriptions and emotions are the entire reason I attempt to write!

8. Sheila

Sheila Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 2002
    It's already been said but WOW Cas . Absolutely beautiful descriptions. Makes me want to drop everything and head to the tropics. :D

I love your stories and can't wait to see where you take us with this one. :)

9. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    ahhhhhhhh :)

10. Arldetta

Arldetta Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    A new fic from Cas!!! YEAH!!!!! :D :D And one written so beautifully. I can't wait for the next chap. ;)

11. Lieutenant_Page

Lieutenant_Page Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2001
    YAY! I love this already. More soon please!

12. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    Liking this....MORE!!

13. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Here's an up for ya, Cas. An amazing fic like this belongs to be nowhere but page one. ;)

14. PaddyJuan

PaddyJuan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    awww, mush.

like mush.

more mush?

15. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Aww...

Love this beginning Cas! I like how you're painting the slowly crumbling walls that surround Qui. Although how could they not crumble with a lovely little Obi beside him? :D

Great work - and I loved your descriptions!

Shaindl

16. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    Mushy mush! :) Hi Shaindl! Froggy is on a reading marathon today! :D

17. PaddyJuan

PaddyJuan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    ah, it was nice while it lasted, but you only get so much time off to read. i owe, i owe, so back to work i go.

sigh

18. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Tee hee! People are saying hi to me on threads that aren't mine or theirs!

Hi OE! And LOL Paddy!

Cas I already said it, but since I'm here again, this was a great start. More soon!

Shaindl

19. Cascadia

Apr 15, 2002
    LE [face_blush] Oh, thank you. You're really so kind. And thanks for the 'up'. ;)
    Aunecah You're so paranoid. [face_laugh] As for what Qui is thinking, he's just wanting to distance himself from Obi-Wan, to keep himself from being hurt again. Thanks! :)
    oe It was a happy opening. But things will become angsty. ;) Mushy mush is good!
    Jovieve [face_blush] I'm glad you like.
    CYN I'm pleased you approve. :D
    FAB Thank you! [face_blush] I love writing descriptions.
    Sheila [face_blush] It makes me so happy to have devoted readers.
    Kitara :)
    Arldetta Thank you! More soon!
    LP Thanks! :D
    Arwen-Jade Thank you for reading! :)
    Paddy How about a little angst before more mush? Are the little froggy legs tired after the marathon run - or shall I say hop?
    Shaindl Aw, thanks! :) Obi is just too lovable and sweet to not love him.

Post coming up later.

20. Red_Jedi_Knight

Red_Jedi_Knight Jedi Youngling star 3

May 7, 2002
    <b>cas</b> That was great i think i've read some of your other works on JAFD or i could be wrong. i can't wait for another post please hurry!
    Red*

21. Jedi_Suzuran

Jedi_Suzuran Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2002
    Aw, what a beautiful beginning, Cas. Looking forward to more. :)

22. Cascadia

Apr 15, 2002
    Red_Jedi_Knight Thank you! :D Yes, I have some stories at JAFD, so you may have read some there.
    Suzuran Thanks! :D Here's more!

Part 2

The day had been long and hot, but the night promised the soothingly cool air off the ocean.

"How much longer are we going to have to stay here?" Obi-Wan asked, trying to not sound whiney.

"Hmm?" Qui-Gon looked up from his datapad.

Obi-Wan stood just inside the door, a fine line between his brows. "I said how long are we going to be here?" he repeated, respectfully. "I thought the shuttle would have returned by now."

A huge sigh escaped Qui-Gon. "I thought you liked being here, Obi-Wan. It's not like we're permanently stranded. And besides, this is a good practice of patience - something you, evidently, still need to learn."

"Yes, Master," the padawan murmured, quickly looking at the floor.

After a moment of silence, Obi-Wan raised his gaze back up to his master and saw the man was back to reading his datapad. Tentatively, he stepped further into the room. "Master, I don't feel so well," he said, passing a hand through his hair.

"It's probably just the heat," Qui-Gon told him, his interest held by the datapad. "Here, use this hand fan." He pointed toward a small table where a paper fan lay.

But I'm not hot, the boy thought.

Seeing that Qui-Gon was going to say no more, Obi-Wan took the pink paper fan and walked back outside to the covered bamboo porch to settle into a woven chair which was mildly uncomfortable.

The padawan had been left to himself for most of the day as Qui-Gon worked on their mission report. He could have gone back to the beach or done any number of other things that he and his master had enjoyed over the last few days, but for some reason today he had felt terribly tired . . . and sick.

Qui-Gon had not noticed. He had also suddenly become very distant after the padawan's desperate attempts in the last few days to win his everlasting favor.

Master Qui-Gon will always be that way, a weary voice whispered in his head. You will never be more to him than just a pupil kept at arm's length.

A soft liquid warble disturbed the gentle silence. The babble of an evening auruler.

Normally, he would have eagerly searched for the location of the night bird, attempting to see its fabled velvet gold feathers, even in the budding shadows of twilight. But a sudden sick feeling swept over him and roiled in the pit of his stomach. The pink fan fell to the floor with a soft rustle when he rested his face in his hands, waiting calmly until the ill feeling passed.

These nauseous spells had started earlier in the day and were growing in intensity. Previously thinking they were nothing out of the ordinary, he now considered that prognosis wrong. And despite the blazing heat in the air, he felt cold.

Standing, Obi-Wan swayed slightly as the world tilted beneath him. He grasped the back of the chair for support until his equilibrium returned, then he went back inside.

"Master, I still feel sick." Obi-Wan swallowed back his returning nausea and, seeing his robe drapped over the back of a chair, pulled it on. He was freezing, even here with the warm summery breezes wafting through.

Qui-Gon looked up to see Obi-Wan's cheeks rosy-red. A concerned frown formed on his forehead. "Padawan, come here." He tossed the datapad aside.

"Master, I . . . " Obi-Wan edged nearer as Qui-Gon blurred out of focus. "I feel . . ." He tried to finish, he wanted to finish, but the trip to his master took the breath out of him.

Qui-Gon pressed his large palm to the boy's fevered brow. "Why, you're burning up, Obi-Wan." He sounded surprised.

"But I'm cold, Master," the padawan protested meekly, and bowed his head until it rested against Qui-Gon's chest, but two strong hands pulled him back to arm's length.

"Does your head hurt?" Qui-Gon asked, staring at the top of the russet-haired youth's head.

Obi-Wan nodded once, shivers racing th

23. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    Awe poor Obi!! This is going to get worse isn't it?

Of course it is and that means that there will be mush later!!

MORE!!

24. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    * tosses more wood on the bonfire * Anyone care to join me in roasting a certain brainless Jedi Master? :mad:

25. Jedi_Suzuran

Jedi_Suzuran Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2002
    I'll join ya, master. :p

Seriously, poor Obi! (yeah, real creative) ;)

thanks for the update, Cas. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.