members

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by teneniel_djo, Apr 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: DieWompRatDie
  1. teneniel_djo Jedi Knight

star 2
    i had an interesting question from a prospect fan force member e-mail.....'how do you become a member?'

we've never really addressed the issue as to how you become an official member. so does anyone have any suggestions?
  2. Obi_Wannabe Force Ghost

star 5
    I was actually thinking about this the other day (me with an opinion on something, perish the thought!). So I have some ideas.

Basic membership, I think, would only entail getting a screen name and participating on the board, no requirement.

Getting on the members list on the website (and this is mainly why I was thinking about this, was to try to keep people able to vote on issues like graphics and activities to those who have an active participation in the group) would have a required threashold(sp) number of postings in the boards that we could set. In other words to be a "voting" member, you would have to have posted on the boards a minimum number of times. Then votes on major issues would be limited to a simple majority of the people on the members list on the web site.

3. Obi_Wannabe Force Ghost

star 5
    Wow, was that a big thought for my first post of the morning after going out drinking last night.
  4. Jedi_Guy16 Jedi Master

star 4
    Don't think to hard wannabe.
  5. teneniel_djo Jedi Knight

star 2
    i was thinking a required number of meetings. and if, for some reason, a person can't make it to meetings, the already-existing members could bring it to a vote?

now i repsect your suggestions, owbe, but posts could be anything....a simple phrase, a comment, whatever.....i mean, i've been on the boards for a year and a half now and i still only have about 200 posts under my belt....but i don't post all the time.
  6. Obi_Wannabe Force Ghost

star 5
    I would agree that it shouldn't be solely limited to board activity, I think an alternate requirement of attendence at two meetings would be equal to board posting for membership.

Even someone who just posts simple phrases, comments whatever would be someone who has put something into the group.

Obviously some people go nuts, I mean, Chunk is at 1000 after two months, i'm at 300 after less than 3 weeks. But I have something to say about everything, that's my personality. I have slower and busier days with what I do right now, if I start having busier days, i'll be posting less.
  7. PtrsonsZOO Force Ghost

star 7
    Okay, here's my nickel (inflation), board participation should be the only requirement. We have several members that cannot logistically make it to meetings, but are very active w/i the RMFF boards. As far as the web site, if you participate on the boards and request placement on the web site, then you're on it.

Reasoning: If we start limiting membership, we exclude some great input, i.e. darth_jar, JediGuy16, FurryDuck, TK2511 & let's not forget OW. Also, this should always be a place where everyone is welcome. Let's face it, we're all geeks, does that mean we should exclude other geeks, even Trekkies (Sorry JP, couldn't resist).
  8. Joseph_Orion Force Ghost

star 4
    well said, it's how i feel as well. If you post on the boards and want to be on the site, go for it. you're a member the instant you post on this board and interact with others ;)
  9. Obi_Wannabe Force Ghost

star 5
    I agree, the answer to Djo's question of basic membership, is no requirement other than signing up for the boards. No one's opinions or input would ever be excluded, no one would ever be shut out.

I was only suggesting a higher requirement for people getting to make the decisions that people care about, t-shirts, graphics, the fan film, activities etc. I know for myself, i'm not going to want to invest my time and more importantly my passion into those things when I know the decisions about them can be made by someone getting 10 of their friends to sign onto the board one time or creating 10 different screen names to vote.
  10. PtrsonsZOO Force Ghost

star 7
    Why don't we worry about that bridge if & when we reach it? With the group we have right now, I can't see that happening, unless of course Chunk's personality splits a few more times.

I understand your concern, especially since we are beginning to grow exponentially, but I would like to keep the openess of our burgeoning group for as long as we can. If things start to skew one way or the other, then we'll try to reign it in. Our simple system of government is working for the moment, & wouldn't it be nice if our greater Govt. worked this well. Case in point, naming our subgroups, we took the suggestions of everyone, narrowed them down to the 3 or 4 best ones in the meeting, and then put them to a vote on the board. It sort of works like a representative government, those that attend the meetings are the Congressmen/women, & the rest are the populace. I think this will work for quite a while.
  11. Joseph_Orion Force Ghost

star 4
    yes, i wouldn't worry about people voting 30 times with different names. I can honestly say that with all the boards i have posted on and the boards i have helped Admin. I've never been on a board where everyone is in sync. I mean sure we joke about trekkies and we disagree and have our silly competitions but that's just flavor to the board. I don't think anyone's lame enough to do that crazy stuff so I wouldn't worry, Obi. :) BTW I think me and Renee saw you at Highlands Ranch 24 a long while back when Monsters Inc. came out, you were there with a group, ya?
  12. Obi_Wannabe Force Ghost

star 5
    No, I saw Monsters Inc. with my gf at the time, the night it opened at the Colorado Center. I do go to the Highland Ranch 24 all the time (I saw LOTR there just the other day), and I see movies in groups all the time because I go to most of the Starland screenings.
  13. Joseph_Orion Force Ghost

star 4
    I see, that's cool. Just thought I'd CHECK! now back to my breakfast burrito
  14. teneniel_djo Jedi Knight

star 2
    again, i'll put forth my suggestion that those of us who can't make it to the meetings due to no transportation or something along those lines, should be considered by the members already in the group before adding them to the list. i realize that some people may definitey have problems coming to the meetings and am sympathetic towards that. however, if it were the case that only a certain number of posts were required, just about anyone, including people who never really have much input into the group but maybe just make remarks here and there (no, i'm not referencing anyone in particular, but this could, forseeably, become a problem in the future) could become a member as well.

just my $0.02.
  15. chunk_the_jawa Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    what exactly is our total active member count. on the boards
    who is going to chip for the new web site?
    these are some questions we need to answer.

voting on the boards is note a safe vote.
    we all have other usernames that can be used to pad the votes this is not fair so a poll is not good for voteing. as far as membership goes everyone can join but by paying dues of some sort that would be another level of membership I.e the web site and say so on it, and if we do a fan fiction film we would all have to chip in for the budget of it and thouse that dont well thats fine they just dont have a vote on the subject at hand , they do have a opinon to voice but not a vote.

If I'm wrong let me know this is just my thoughts,

16. Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I agree with Chunkers.

You know what, I completely did not see chunks post about the dues :p I feel stupid...
  17. teneniel_djo Jedi Knight

star 2
    actually, i see your point of view, chunk. so for membership, anyone can join, but for certain things such as voting on the web site or a fan film or something along those lines, only paying people should be allowed.

that makes sense to me. :)
  18. teneniel_djo Jedi Knight

star 2
    i think, though, that if we were to pay dues, our tax status would change, and we'd have to start dealing with all of that since we wouldn't be a non-profit organization anymore....
  19. Obi_Wannabe Force Ghost

star 5
    I'll definitely go with Jen on this one, we're way far away organizationaly from having to cross the bridge of fees or anything close to it. Once any group starts getting into money it changes everything. Things can go from fun to political verrrry fast.

Things like t-shirts, the fan film, people can pay for as they take part, no connection to actual membership.

We'll be talking about the web site at the meeting, my inclination would be that several of the packages were just for one initial fee per year rather than monthly fees, I think that's better because we can then just put it for people to volunteer funds as needed. I'd rather pay 50 bucks myself up front for the site than start getting into someone gathering membership fees.
  20. chunk_the_jawa Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    exactly what I'm saying JGOC.
    paying dues is a show of hay I'm willing to put in to this and not just take from it cause its free. the dues would be for al expensis incured by the RMFF.
    but this would seperate the RMFF from the force.net a bit .
    anything done on the boards would be the force.net/RMFF which everybody would have a vote. but seperate RMFF subjects would be governed by members of the RMFF only.

Rmff members would not be the sole ruling body on the boards but out side of the boards it would be members votes only , non members could atened meetings but couldnt vote on issues.

21. PtrsonsZOO Force Ghost

star 7
    Trust me, we want to keep the Imperial Bureau of Taxation & Tariffs out of this thing.

Pay as you go works for me, some of the stuff we've been doing has gone that way, so I can't imagine it couldn't continue that way.

I'm waiting to get some input from our fearless leader & OW on the whole voting thing before I make anymore comments on that one. I'm curious as to what the offical position of TF.n/JC is at this point. I'm sure it's come up before.
  22. chunk_the_jawa Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    but we would still be nonprofit none of us collect a paycheck by being a paying member.
    and our group is far to small to catch any eyes .

23. Obi_Wannabe Force Ghost

star 5
    I'm real leery of membership being tied to money.

I'm much more comfortable with it being tied to participation, either on the boards (with post count being the factor), or in person (with attendence to meetings being the factor), or special contribution (Teneniel doing the website, for example). Any of those would be given equal status as far as voting.
  24. Joseph_Orion Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm with Obi on this one. Once someone starts paying, they're going to expect everyone else to pay and those who don't want to will feel obligated to do so. I say the board is good enough, we don't need to buy some website. If Reb decides she doesn't want to host the website anymore, then that's totally fine with me. It's something extra and we thank her for the effort but it's definitely not necessary to define us as a group.
  25. Jedi_Guy16 Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm with Obi and JO. Nobody should have to pay. for things like the website take donations from members. That fact that I have no money has nothing to do with this.
Moderators: DieWompRatDie
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.