main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Memento Mori (L/M Viggie, very early NJO)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Bri_Windstar, Aug 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bri_Windstar

Bri_Windstar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 27, 2002

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
  2. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    wow, this is amazing. This is easily one of the best things I've ever read on these boards, you are very talented.

I give a mirthless laugh at this and turn my head away from the window. Weakness is something that I have never known, something I have never let myself know. It has always been beneath me, and I find it hard to swallow the concept that now I may be beneath it.

This section really captures why the disease was so hard on Mara IMO! You really got her right bri_windstar. This is great! :)

3. J_M_Bulldog

J_M_Bulldog Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2003
    Wow! Awesome job!
    :( Poor Mara.
    *growls at LucasBooks and DelRay for giving Mara that disease. :mad:*
    Again, Wow!

4. JediMasterKobe

JediMasterKobe Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    *throws ewoks at Nom Anor*

:mad:

You evil Sith-spawned...

*chokes on own words*

snap-hiss, snap-hiss

*ignites two lightsabers, 1 navy/white and 1 purple/gold*

Do-ro'ik vong pratte!

*charges after the scarhead*

You feel lucky? Punk?

[face_devil]

5. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    *tackle hugs Bri* You posted! :D :D

Phenomenal, darling. You did a fantastic job capturing Mara's personality - and even more impressive, you captured her personality in an incredibly rare moment of weakness. Your writing style is both eloquent and poetic. Truly beautiful. :D :D :D

6. Lt_Jaina_Solo

Lt_Jaina_Solo Jedi Knight star 5

May 27, 2002
    That was great, Bri_Windstar!!! You had tears coming to my eyes! :_| Awesome job!

7. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    ***chokes back tears***

8. astrowoman

astrowoman Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 11, 2002
    Wow, very moving. I too had tears.

Funny, I was just thinking about Mara earlier today and how stupid it was for them to give her that disease. What was the point of that?

Anyway, very nice viggie :)

Astro

9. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

Wow. Depression is right! That was beautifully done, Bri! And I loved the X-Files title ;) One of the things that annoyed me early on in the NJO was Mara's refusal to allow anyone to help her with her disease issues and how she would even push Luke away. I like how you've shown that once in a while even Mara could break down and need help.

Lovely!

Sends more Dr. Peppers :p

10. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    poor Mara. :_|

11. Bri_Windstar

May 27, 2002
    YodaKenobi: Wow [face_blush] Thank you! I?m sorry, but the authors of the NJO handled the whole situation like crap. They never got very deep into how the disease was affecting Mara, and characterization was just so bad. I know different aspects of Mara?s character, what makes her who she is, but I have a bit of a hard time conveying all that. For someone else to say I got it right it so cool! Thank you! :)

J_M_Bulldog: Thank you! Yeah, the whole disease thing was silly and a waste of time at that. It was just there, and all it did was cause rifts between the characters. My little step to rectify the problems I have with it. :) Glad you liked it.

JediMasterKobe: LOL! [face_laugh] That was certainly not something I was expecting to see! You have at it; tell me when you succeed. :::giggles::: And thanks for reading!

Gabri_Jade: Gabri!!!! :::tackle hugs right back::: [face_blush] Well, I have a good teacher. I wondered if weak was something that Mara could be portrayed as, they say everyone has a moment of weakness. Words and phrases don?t come to me very easily, so thank you so much for your help. And a thwack-free week to boot is wonderful. ;) 8-} Huggies dear.

Lt_Jaina_Solo: Goodness, wow. I?m flattered you liked it so much. I never dreamed I would bring someone to tears! :eek: I love when fics move me that much, not that they do it that often. I guess that?s the charm of the ones that do. Thank you so much! :)

MariahJade2: [face_blush] :::eek:ffers a tissue and smiles consolingly::: Another one? Wow. Thank you so much for your feedback! And your reaction. It?s greatly appreciated.

astrowoman: :::blushes furiously::: You guys are turning me into a tomato over here!!! I?m flattered, really. I have no idea what the point was. Was there even one? I didn?t see it 8-} Tell me when you find it. ;)

LadyPadme Somehow I thought you?d like the title ;) 8-} The depression thing is a bit of a joke. I?m getting quite good at it, I think. :::giggles::: That annoyed me to no end, as well. I remember the scene in Vector Prime where Leia hears her crying, and then they talk about it. Apparently it?s a possible thing. Twas my way of satisfying my disappointment with the whole thing.

:::hands LP Diet Coke in return of Dr. Pepper::: You always leave the best feedback, thank you! Huggies! :D

Jedi_Liz: :::giggles::: Yes, poor Mara. :_| Tis not fair what they did to her. :::grumbles::: Thanks for popping in :)

::Windstar Out::

12. joy_noel

joy_noel Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 21, 2002
    I hate that disease soo much! :mad: You did a beautiful job writing Mara's thoughts and feelings.

13. KnightHawk

KnightHawk Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 17, 2003
    (To self): MUST... STOP... CRYING...

(Cannot stop.)

Absolutely beautiful. One of the most heart-felt stories I have ever read.

14. LianaMara

LianaMara Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 30, 2000
    What a beautiful vig! Bri, you did an awesome job. I hate the evil illness, but you got inside Mara's head and showed the weakness and pain she was fighting, and how she couldn't deal with alone. This is a wonderful, moving piece. :)

15. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    You did an excellent job with this, Bri. You got Mara's character perfect. And I'm glad, too, that you let her cry on Luke's shoulder. I know Mara is fiercely independent, but I didn't like how the NJO portrayed her as even pushing Luke away. Didn't the scene in VotF when the Jade's Fire crashes teach the authors anything? Oh wait, many of the NJO authors didn't read any of the novels that came before, did they? :mad:

I also liked how you have Mara reflect that Coruscant never changes, despite the Vong, when we now know that it, in fact, does change very much. Parallels her thinking that she'll never get well and have a child, when in fact she does defeat her illness and have Ben. I'm glad you wrote this now, instead of when Mara was still ill, or it would be even more depressing.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to reading more of your work, Bri.

16. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    *grabs a tissue and joins others crying*

Great job, Bri. Very emotional. I agree that Mara wouldn't have pushed Luke away like in the books.

17. Bri_Windstar

May 27, 2002
    joy_noel: That seems to be the general sentiment among many SW fans. ;) Thank you much, dear, I tried.. :)

KnightHawk: :::eek:ffers some tissues::: [face_blush] Thank you so much for your kind reply. That?s awesome to hear. Hope you were able to stop crying at some point! ;)

LianaMara: Wow. Mara really is a true fighter. I think that?s why the weakness and pity that comes with the illness are harder for her to face than the illness itself. Of course, the NJO authors took that idea and butchered it completely, but we won?t go there. ;) 8-}

Jedi-2B: I got it perfect? Wow, you have no idea how fun it is to hear that! I have such a hard time writing her. :::giggles::: I don?t think the NJO authors are very bright, nor do I think they pay much attention to what else has happened in the EU. I take everything they give us with a grain of salt, myself. Wonderful parallels. I didn?t even think of that too much. Was it really that depressing? [face_blush] Thank you, awesome reply!

RebelMom: Hi there! You people are going to flood this thread! 8-} Seriously, thank you. I also agree. She didn?t marry Luke just to keep him at arms length. That annoys me to no end; I finally had to do something about it!

Thanks for the wonderful replies, all. They are too cool :cool:

18. maramijade

maramijade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 17, 2000
    hey Bri wonderful vig!!

I think you are right. The point of Mara's illness was probably to be a further contributor to the character's pushing each other away. I don't know I'm a major L/M shipper but the way they are always calling each other 'Dear' and 'My Love' it's not them.

Bri had a pro-fic author had tried this, the would have littered it with the half poetic super sweet way too mushy for L&M stuff that they had written in the begining of the NJO, this was a direct hit on how I've seen them reacting together. I love how she realizes. .. (or remembers) that her pain is Luke's pain too. I also love how he's always there for her.

:) Bri it's wonderful keep up the good work :D

(You know, I must really be missing English Comp, Bri, your piece and LP's have me itching to write an 'real' essay MLA format, Quotations, research and all. . .! I'm in a sad state... )

19. Bri_Windstar

May 27, 2002
    maramijade: Omg, I HATE that! No one talks like that, least of all Luke and Mara. A direct hit? Wow, thank you. An essay? LOL! You should, you should. Essays on this subject are so much fun to read, trust me I know. ;) I would certainly enjoy it!

20. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    I agree, but you know what bothers me more? When Mara calls her husband "Skywalker". Do I really need to point out why this is stupid? To many authors are trying to write her as "heir to the empire Mara" rather than a women whose been married to luke for several years, and had a child with him.

21. maramijade

maramijade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 17, 2000
    I actually like her use of 'Skywalker' anymore.

Originally it was a sign of distance between them but I kinda believe that it's become an affectionate nickname. .. kinda like farmboy. I don't mind it.

especially in fan fic. Mara uses Skywalker most of the time, and when she slips and calls him Luke, it shows how much she truely cares about him.

22. Bri_Windstar

May 27, 2002
    People came BACK to this thread?! :::faints:::

How fun is that?!?

YodaKenobi: I think it was pretty harmless in the beginning of the marriage. It?s more of a nickname than a jibe. They do need to let up on it now that they have been married for so long now, and do have a son together. There?s a bit more maturity there in the relationship after so many years together.

maramijade: I agree, on all aspects. Being more formal is something that comes though when she lets her guard down (well, as far as she will let them down, more often than not, but you know what I mean ;) ). It fits their earlier relationship, but like I just said, I think it is a bit more appropriate for her to call him ?Luke? than ?Skywalker?.

Wow, thank you much guys! :)

23. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    This needs to stay on page 1 for awhile :)

24. Bri_Windstar

May 27, 2002
    Wow! Thanks for the up YodaKenobi!! :D

Upping myself because im bored 8-}

25. Bri_Windstar

May 27, 2002
    :::goes digging around the lower pages of the Board:::

UP!!! ;) 8-}

Thread Status: