Memo to George - An extra in a clonetrooper suit is 1000% better than any CGI creation

Discussion in 'Attack of the Clones' started by SoftballWizard388, May 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeathStickDealer Jedi Knight

star 1
    just so that we can clarify this, could someone give a definite answer to this question;

Were the Clonetroopers in AOTC all CGI or, was it a mix of real people in Clonetrooper uniforms and CGI?

Please let me know! I honestly thought that in the close-up shots the Clonetroopers were real people in uniforms.

2. bleh19 Jedi Master

star 4
    No one knows for sure...

We havent seen any pictures from the set w/ someone in a clonetrooper uniform, but it hasnt been confirmed that they are 100% CG.

I think that they filmed Bodie Taylor in a clonetrooper uniform against a bluescreen and did motion capture w/ him, then use that to replicate the clonetroopers. Not for sure tho.
  3. GriffZ Manager Emeritus

star 6
    A better memo to George would be: Just because you can do something with CG, doesn't mean you should.

And with that out of the way, allow me to say that the Clones looked great. I have no idea if any were real or not. If they were all CG, then wow. Wowwy-wow-wow-wow.

4. WickedFierce Jedi Knight

star 1
    I really hate CG when they move too fast. Like in TPM, whenever you see a Gungun they move too fast. Every little CG monster moves way too fast to be believeable.

If they slowed down some of it I think it would be alot more effective.
  5. Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling

star 6
    I love it when someone who can't tell the difference between the CG and the live action compositing tries to say you can tell the difference.
  6. Sifo_Dyas Jedi Knight

star 1
    I prefer models, funny looking puppets and rubber masks to CGI any day. I just don't like the look of it, too shiny and plastic-y, and the movements always seem so bizarre. It really takes something away from the established look of the Star Wars universe, I think. I reaaally miss real live-action droids. I remember thinking that, during AOTC. When we saw Dooku get on his ship, and there's a retarded CGI droid beside him, I thought to myself, it would have been so much cooler if that was a live-action droid, like from the OT. Oh well.

NO, I am not alone, by the way. I know for a fact that MANY people agree with me.
  7. KaaShamau Jedi Master

star 4
    too shiny and plastic-y

Like Clone Trooper armour? Sorry, couldn't resist :p
  8. darthsmozers Jedi Master

star 4
    The clonetrooper who helped Padme looked entirely real to me...see how amazing it is?
  9. VancouverRob Jedi Padawan

I thought the CGI was great. Yoda was awesome. Too much? Dunno.

But remember the most important thing. For Lucas, it's as much CGI as possible. Why? Because then Lucas can change his mind as much as possible afterwards. Case in point. TPM modified scene intro'ing R2 and 3PO in the hangar before the pod race. Never shot, never scripted. Massive editing/CGI replacement.

He must drive his employees nuts.
  10. lavjoricso Force Ghost

star 4
    A good while back when TFN used to show images from the filming of Episode 2.The was a photo of George and Ric,with the side and arm of a guy in a clonetrooper suit !!!

11. KaaShamau Jedi Master

star 4
  12. Ewan-Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    CGI wise what I loved was R2. And no, I'm not taling about the rockets.

When they tried the rockets in TPM it didn't work right, so CGI was the best way to do it.

What I was most impressed with, R2-wise is when he just trailed behind him as CGI. They showed a tiny bit of him climbing up and down stairs. Something that would be impossible to film with the real thing. Yet it was so in the background with the camera moving off him no one notices it and it fits continuity-wise.

As to the clones....I think GL did the senseable thing.
    I mean, he already had to have so thousands of CGI troopers. Why go to the ton of effort to film a few extras (that they'd have to get to look identical in the first place) and put them in the right setting and lighting of an otherwise totally CGI shot with no reference when they already have the CGI troops in the comp?

Why did they use a CGI one for close ups like running to Padme? I don't know. Either for continuity or because something changed.

Personally if there are inside close shots of a few troops in ep3 I wouldn't mind live action guys. But by then who knows if we'll even be able to tell the difference....
  13. lavjoricso Force Ghost

star 4
    No,sorry,it was ages ago !!!
  14. JabbaPapa Jedi Knight

star 2
    The clonetrooper who talks to Padmé is a guy in a suit ...

George used 3 techniques for the troopers : Guy in suit ; guy in suit filmed doing several different things against a bluescreen and multiplied ; CGI.

It's a testament to the quality of the CGI clonetroopers that you guys have difficulty telling which is which ... ;)
  15. Lukecash Jedi Master

star 4
    The facts are this.... It is actualy cheaper to film a guy in a clonetrooper suit than to do a CGI model of him.

It is actually cheaper to do the aliens in CGI than to spend the money on the make up and puppets. You also get more expressive characters.
  16. KaaShamau Jedi Master

star 4
    That picture would be this one I presume:

[image=http://www.theforce.net/episode2/newspics/trooperarm.jpg]

Take a look at the glove. See how it's bevelled? It's a cutout for reference (as said in the TF.N report here).
  17. WookieNuts Jedi Youngling

While for the most part the CG clonetroopers were excellent, it doesn't explain the fact why George would have his animators spend weeks creating a single trooper when they could just dress up some local and tell him "Ok, Yoda is right there, nod your head like you're saying yes to him." No doubt for the battle sequences CG is required but why for the tight shots with only one or two troopers? One thing i notice with the CG clone troopers is that they seem to move kind of awkward. I think the CG characters in Lord of the Rings (sorry, is that phrase forbidden here?) moved a lot more realistically.
  18. JabbaPapa Jedi Knight

star 2
    Clonetroopers talking to Yoda : probably cheaper to do both in CGI instead of an expensive composite shot, isn't it ? ;)
  19. Okie_Dookie Jedi Padawan

I've seen better video game cutscenes than the cgi in aotc.
  20. mocha1 Jedi Knight

star 1
    so where were CG clonetroopers used and where were real clonetroopers used? I really can't tell except for the shots with tons of clonetroopers.

i thought they were EXCELLENT. brilliant. i much prefer CG to the ROTJ static matte painting of those hundreds of stormtroopers NOT MOVING A BIT.
  21. Farrokh1 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Apart from Anakins dream sequence this is the only thing that bothered me about AOTC. As soon as the first pictures of the clonetroopers were released i got very excited because they were so cool. But up until the day I actually saw the film I realised I had never seen a real shot or picture of a clonetrooper costume. Every time I saw a clone it was CG(but awesome CG-clonetrooper tv spot, F*** me that was cool). But I said to myself , therell be a real clone trooper in the film. So during the whole film every time I saw a clonetrooper i studied it very closely, looking for tell tale signs of CG. ALL the clonetroopers were CG in my opinion, yes even the one that helped Padme up, which i still cant understand. There might have been real clones in the mass trooper sequences but if there were shouldnt it be the other way round. If people are thinking they are real then that can only be a testament to ILM but just one real clonetrooper would have made me feel a lot better. I think it would be cool if someone could get something official because alot of people just dont understand why the close up troopers had to be CG, there was must be a reason, even though they looked incredible. If the close up shots are real then they must have been touched up digitally.
    Oh and Softballwizard said that Yoda and Dexter were examples of when CG SHOULD be used, some of you have misunderstood him.
  22. Darkside_Spirit Jedi Knight

star 3
    AGREE! ENTIRELY! This hits the nail on the head. The beauty of CGI, used properly, is that it is believable because the vast majority of things are real. When more than 40% of the shot is computer-generated, it doesn't look real anymore, and the CGI loses its effect. This is why the Yoda vs Dooku battle carried only half of the splendour it should have possessed.
  23. mocha1 Jedi Knight

star 1
    name one

what final fantasy? no way, not nearly detailed enough.

24. VladTheImpaler Jedi Master

star 4
    Actually I think the clonetrooper who helped Padme up was CGI. About the most realistic CGI I've ever seen, but something still tells me it was CGI.

But I think they used duplicated men in costumes for most of the other shots(well except for some of the complicated battle scenes where they couldn't have used real people). I mean, look at the clone troopers sitting on the gunships with the other jedi...they are just too real looking to be computer generated.
  25. Razorback Jedi Youngling

star 5
    I thought the cgi was seamless. I could not tell for certain when I was looking at a cgi clonetrooper.

RB
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.