main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LA, CA Memoirs of a Convention v.2 (What I liked about C-IV)

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Sol_Jedi, May 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skyryder

Skyryder Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 13, 2004
    I just finished filling it out.

Thanks VK.

2. Varekei

Varekei Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 5, 2005
  3. jedifan77

jedifan77 Jedi Master star 5

Mar 19, 2006
    I just finished it and then posted the above info over at the IEFF.

Thanks, Val!

4. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    Yeah, I just got and completed the survey. I know chances are slim, but it'd be great if one of us one. Does anybody know when the drawing is being held? It says nobody can take the survey after the 23rd, but they don't specify if the drawing is that day too or not.

5. Jundland_Jay

Jundland_Jay Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 18, 2003
    Just received the e-mail and filled out the survey! May the Force be with all of us!

6. jedifan77

jedifan77 Jedi Master star 5

Mar 19, 2006
    At the end of the survey, it states that the winner will be contacted by September 14, 2007.

7. DarthHaskett

DarthHaskett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2003
    I was emailed the survey also. I completed it and well, it's up to the Force now. I just hope someone from LAFF wins.

8. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    I posted this on the C-IV board. The following will all be done by 2008 next door to the L.A. Convention Center. Does anyone doubt that C-V will be in Los Angeles, in "the spring of 2009?" I don't!

NOKIA Theatre
    The 235,00 square foot, 7,100-seat venue will host 125 music, family, dance and comedy acts, award shows, televised productions and short running Broadway theater events annually.
    Club NOKIA will host 150 concerts annually
    NOKIA PLAZA
    the 40,000 square foot open air plaza, capable of hosting special events, community gatherings, cultural festivals and live performances will be located in the very heart of L.A. LIVE. The plaza space has been designed with flexibility as well as state-of-the-art "plug-and-play" technology to accommodate broadcast events, large celebrations, festivals, outdoor concerts and other live programming.
    STUDIOS
    A 110,000 square foot showcase studio will be home to SportsCenter and a number of live shows and original programming broadcast on ESPN and its affiliate networks including ABC Sports. An additional broadcasting center is planned to accommodate national and local entertainment coverage, sports, news and music broadcasts.
    RESTAURANTS
    L.A. LIVE will be open for lunch and dinner, offering outdoor dining to take advantage of Los Angeles' pleasing climate.

Fleming's Prime Steakhouse and Wine Bar will occupy approximately 7,250 square feet on the bustling corner of Olympic and Figueroa Boulevards. Just south is The Farm of Beverly Hills, a 7,000 square foot American restaurant that serves breakfast, lunch, dinner and an array of fresh bakery items.

Los Angeles' legendary Conga Room will relocate from its mid-Wilshire location and occupy approximately 13,000 square feet of second floor space.

Sushi and robata bar concept, Katsuya. Designed by Phillipe Starke, the ultra-hip 7,600 square foot, ground floor space will be utilized as the main dining room and a cocktail lounge will share the area.

Long Beach-based Yard House offers a wide menu of American food, excellent service and over 100 different beers from around the world and will feature a large outdoor dining terrace.

New York-based Rosa Mexicano brings a fine dining concept of traditional and nouvelle Mexican food within a contemporary David Rockwell design. Known for their pomegranate margaritas, guacamole freshly prepared tableside, and indoor water wall.

Los Angeles' own culinary icon, Wolfgang Puck will bring an exciting new California cuisine concept of fresh seafood, salads and steaks concept to L.A. LIVE in a 7,500 square foot location. The space, centrally located on NOKIA Plaza, will also be used for private parties and special events.

Several quick service restaurants are planned for L.A. LIVE as well.

Bowling
    Hollywood's own Lucky Strike will occupy approximately 24,000 feet on the second floor offering a café and bar, plus billiard tables, dart and private function rooms in addition to 18 state-of-the-art bowling lanes.

Museum
    The Recording Academy (NARAS) and AEG are together developing The GRAMMY Museum, the permanent home for the GRAMMY Awards. Slated to open in October 2008 to celebrate the 50th Anniversary year of the GRAMMY Awards, the one-of-a-kind museum experience will be the cornerstone of the exciting L.A. LIVE development and is expected to draw over 300,000 visitors annually.

The second phase will open in October of 2008 with the ESPN offices and studio, the ESPN zone, the restaurants, the Grammy museum, Club NOKIA, The Conga Room, Lucky Strike, the broadcast studio and the corporate office space.

PARKING
    Approximately 3,500 new parking spaces will be added to the existing parking supply servicing STAPLES Center and the Los Angeles Convention Center.

PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION
    L.A LIVE is well served by public transportation systems including the MTA Blue Line Station at Pico and Flower Streets, the MTA Red Line Subway at 7th and Figueroa, the LA Dot Downtown DASH shuttle service and numerous MTA regional and local bus routes.

9. Arminca

Arminca Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 4, 2006
    WOW!!! I am overwhelmed. It's going to be exciting in L.A. All the above in one spot. And it's almost in my backyard. Well approx. about 5 mins away.;)

10. The_Sith_Hunter

The_Sith_Hunter Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 6, 2005
    I think C4 would have been a lot "happier" if that were done before hand...

11. JediRacer

JediRacer Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 5, 2000
    Yes, Yard House would've been nice..
    I can't wait for LA Live to open too! We can have some "unofficial" events there, as well as official ones. Well, it'll be up and running by the time C5 comes around. ;)

12. MrZAP

Jun 2, 2007
    Except I live an hour away from there, so it would be difficult for me to get to said events. Still, it's an interesting thought.

But this poses a question: what would a Star Wars convention use a conga room and a bowling alley for? Personally, I'd rather have some dejarik tables and a Jizz band.[face_laugh]

13. Elensara

Elensara Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    ...A *what* band?! O_O

It'll definitely be nicer having more to do downtown for CV, although, I must say, we did fairly well anyway! We never even went to the same place. I only hope the new place won't make the $5-6 parking lots around there disappear/go up in price.

14. MrZAP

Jun 2, 2007
    A Jizz band. It's a style of music in Star Wars. You know the Bith who were playing music in the Mos Eisley Cantina? They were Figrin D'an and Modal Nodes, a Jizz band. Sorry, sometimes I forget that not all SW fans are into the EU as well.

Also: ...Ohhhh, I thought you meant they were putting all that stuff in the convention center somehow.:oops: Of course you meant downtown. Yes, all that stuff would be fun to do.

15. Elensara

Apr 2, 2002
    .....Oh, so that *wasn't* a typo? Wow. Okay, George, you're dirtier than I already knew.
    Annnyway, sorry MZ, I always just thought of them as "the Bith band" and didn't know that that was what style they were.

16. MrZAP

Jun 2, 2007
    It's just a play on the word jazz. And I don't think George is the one who thought up the name.

17. chibiangi

chibiangi Jedi Master star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    Yes, a jizz band from the planet sp3rmia.

That sounds more like rocky horror than star wars...

18. JediBith

JediBith Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2001
    ...Seriously hopes the RSAs aren't reading this "innocent" thread...[face_worried]

Um, yes, I'm excited about the Lemmings coming! Whooo!

19. Elensara

Apr 2, 2002
    Yeah, I was thinking that too, but if it's an OFFICIAL NAME..... :/ Um...like I said, (even if it wasn't George who came up with the name) someone thought he was being quite clever, didn't he? Yes, I'm assuming it was a male. ;D

20. Sol_Jedi

Sol_Jedi LA Chapter Rep star 4

Oct 8, 2005
    "special beverages" + Star Wars + flashy L.A. hot spot + friends + food + Star Wars geeks = VERY GOOD TIMES! :D

21. GFORCE13

GFORCE13 Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 12, 2007
    Amen! and isn't that the Truth.[:D]

22. Skyryder

Skyryder Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 13, 2004
    If the convention is in LA (which I sure it will be for some reason), DH and myself will go, but then have a protest convention in another city just so we can travel.

23. JediBith

JediBith Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2001
    I will go too! I had a great time, Jawa-incident notwithstanding!

24. Jundland_Jay

Jundland_Jay Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 18, 2003
    I believe the term "Jizz" was first used in "The Band's Tale", a short story out of the "Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina" book, which I highly recommend for backstory to our favorite cantina's patrons. Oddly enough, it didn't mention anything about the termination of Ponda Baba's drafting career...

25. Varekei

Varekei Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 5, 2005
    Yeah, but I'd love to know what Luke & Leia listened to on their IPods! I wonder if they rolled their eyes every time Han (who was about 9-10 years older) tried to 'turn them on to' Jizz music.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.