Memoirs of a Geisha

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Ariana Lang, Sep 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ariana Lang Jedi Youngling

star 5
    I've heard very conflicting things about this book. I've heard people say that it's an incredible feat of the imagination that a white male in the 21st century wrote from the POV of a Japanese woman in the 30's/40's, and then I've heard people say the story was too "Westernized" and not imaginitive.

Being an English major, I was more interested in the way it was written. Very poetic, with just a few flaws. 1) He way overuses the word "laquer" and 2) He overuses the "such and so must have thought this was very funny, because he/she gave his/her ______ laugh."

So what did you think of Memoirs of a Geisha? Incredible feat or unimaginative and too westernized?
  2. Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    I thought it was brilliant. Put all the controversy aside, the writing completely engrossed me in her world. It was one of those rare books I just couldn't put down.
  3. ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Master

star 4

It's collecting dust on my shelf like it has been for serval years now. I'll get to it, someday...

~PAd

4. Ariana Lang Jedi Youngling

star 5
    I agree with Katya. There are only 3 books in this world that I can pick up and open up to any random spot in the book and love what I'm reading. These are:
    Memoirs of a Geisha
    Susan Kay's Phantom
    Bridget Jones: Edge of Reason

I honestly can't think of a single dull moment. And like she said, the writing does just totally engross you in her world. I think it's brilliant with a poetic fluidity that is rare in books these days.

But I know others think differently.
  5. Ariana Lang Jedi Youngling

star 5
    :[face_sigh]: Another one bites the dust. :(
  6. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    I read about half of this one. Then I lost interest when it was talking about some other Geisha's riches or something, and picked up another book.
  7. Livi-Wan Force Ghost

star 4
    I think this book is brilliant! I was totally engrossed and other fan ravings............
  8. Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    Did anyone see the Biography Extra this last weekend about the Geisha? It had interviews with Memoirs' author and was absolutely fascinating about the real lives of Geishas and their history.
  9. Ariana Lang Jedi Youngling

star 5
    I've seen that one before. I have it on tape. It's absolutely incredible. Though it did get me confused. When did mizuage start and stop? Cause the book makes it sound like it started in the 19th century or maybe earlier, but the special makes it sound like the 1920's or so.
  10. Rogue_Product Jedi Master

star 4
    I thought it was fantastic, and although not entirely true to the tradition (westernised if you will), it made for engrossing reading, which is what a good book should do!
  11. Left My Heart In Dagobah Jedi Knight

star 3
    I loved it...couldn't put it down. I started collecting old postcards of geisha after reading it. :)

Wasn't Steven Spielberg going to do the film version?
  12. maestrino Jedi Master

star 4
    I didn't realise it wasn't actually written by her, the geisha, until I'd finished reading it. Then again that's from my fairly unknowledgeable western perspective, so I don't know if its true to Japanese tradition or not..... but he had me fooled!

And it was a good read. :)
  13. nashira Manager Emeritus

star 4
    I agree, although it wasn't totally accurate, it was nonetheless an excellent read. I was completely taken after the 1st chapter and read it really fast. It was interesting enough that it makes me wish more of the characters were real, so that I could look into their stories.
  14. ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Master

star 4

Wasn't Steven Spielberg going to do the film version?

Yeah, I wonder what happened to that? I wish we had interviewers who actually asked pertenent questions that people care to read about in today's publications. [face_plain]

~PAd

15. nashira Manager Emeritus

star 4
    oh yeah, I forgot about that! I wonder what happened?? ?[face_plain]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.