main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memorable ways that EU Characters were introduced...

Discussion in 'Literature' started by burrie, Sep 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. burrie

burrie Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2000
    So, I'm curious... as the title says, what do you think was a memorable introduction for a new EU character? This could be ranging from some background character to one of the main characters...

For me, THE most memorable introduction would have to be Bastila Shan. When I arrived for the first time at the race tracks and saw her in the cage, I was mildly surprised that I couldn't speak with her in any way. "So much for having a cool meeting with one of the pivotal characters". I reckoned that you would win the race, and thentalk with her, and that be pretty much it. Frankly, I was dissapointed.

Until I won the race after three times and was declared the winner. And the following scene is just grand. Brejik is told that he can't withdraw his part of the deal, and then the crime lord decides to give this entire spiel about how he is the wave of the future, how he will control everything, how traditions mean nothing to him, bla-bla-bla... frankly, he is finally going public about how great he thinks he is. And then Bastila simply says "I would have something to say about that..."... wham, Force Pull, Force Open Cage, round-house kick, KO guard, gently pick up double-bladed sword. Brejik quickly explains to us viewers that she couldn't have done that due to her neural restrainer, and this is the part that I really like : "You underestimate the power of a Jedi, Brejik, *raises double-bladed sword* a mistake that you likely won't be able to repeat again". One of the best introductions for a main character, if you ask me. And after killing all the guards, I could even have my character say "My name is Leru Vl'Dor, I'm here to rescue you", followed with banter from Bastila. Pure gold.

(on the other hand... Jolee Bindo's introduction, for such a memorable character, felt really random)

Naturally, there's also that one person in Specter ofthe Past : "She was loud, she was furry and she was determined to sell him a melon".

EDIT: And I really shouldn't forget Calo Nord either. I was shaking in my boots when he counted to 2 when I tried to open up a friendly conversation with him.

2. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    I know what you mean. Jedi Outcast had some nice touches too. I liked the entrance of Star Wolf in Lylat Wars 64, though that's not SW.

And there were many memorable instances in the comics, especially with the Rogue Squad series.

3. Pellaeon-Firke

Pellaeon-Firke Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Introductions:

Garm
    Jolee
    Canderous
    Calo Nord
    Bandon
    Joruus C'baoth
    Flim

Re-introductions:

Boba Fett (TUF)
    Tavion in JA
    Vader in SotME

A few more, I'm certain, but all I can think of now.

4. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    Nick "Smiley" Rostu. ;)

5. -RebelScum-

-RebelScum- Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 21, 2004
    the melon seller in Wraith Squadron i believe...

"She was short she was furry and she determined to sell him a melon"

6. DarthNoctambulus

DarthNoctambulus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    Jagged Fel. Commanding Spike Squadron during the Battle of Garqi and saying "We're a Chiss house phalanx".

7. Pellaeon-Firke

Mar 2, 2004
    the melon seller in Wraith Squadron i believe...

SotP, IIRC.

Colonel Vessery, Isard II, Shimmra, the Commander who is reintroduced in TUF originally from AoC whose name escapes me.

8. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    the Commander who is reintroduced in TUF originally from AoC whose name escapes me.

Maal Lah?

9. Pellaeon-Firke

Mar 2, 2004
    Don't think so, it's the guy who commands the prison camp, and later the yammosk, who dies of Alpha Red.

Aw, hell, I'll just look it up.

EDIT: I thought it was someone named carr. Malik, not Yomin, though.

10. dark_jedi666

dark_jedi666 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    Malik Carr is who you are thinking of, I believe.

11. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    Dooku has a good introduction in Red Hands. Desann also has a pretty nice intro, smashing you up as he does. I like the way Durge was revealed too.

"It's a damn good week!"

12. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    D'harhan in The Mandalorian Armor. Impressive introduction and a character whose backstory (especially the part involving Boba Fett) I would love to see.

13. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Denua Ku in Allston's duology - almost every other character is introduced with an establishing 'camera angle' of some sort... Denua Ku just appears as "disposable warrior #2", and gradually comes into the foreground - without us ever actually knowing who he really is, or what he's really doing there...

[face_mischief] :p

- The Imperial Ewok

14. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    HK-47. Discovering that the protocol droid enjoyed killing things was a hoot.

Bastila?s introduction was good as well. I like arguing with her about who rescued whom.

15. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    I think Corran, Tycho, and Piggy's introductions were pretty memorable. Corran's with the "You're good, but you're no Luke Skywalker" memory just before flying the Redemption scenario stuck with me. As did Tycho getting out of the simulator when you expect Wedge and then being taken away like a prisoner, leaving Corran a bit confused about who he just flew against. And of course there's Piggy's introduction after Janson had played the Kettch joke on Wedge and Wedge thought Piggy was another joke.

16. 7-7-7

7-7-7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 15, 2002
    I really liked the way Jag Fel was introduced. When I read that scene, I think that my jaw dropped about two feet.

Kueller also had a nice introduction, regardless of the overall quality of the New Rebellion.

The reintroduction of Pellaeon in Darksaber was pleasantly surprising and showed just how he had grown since his time with Thrawn. His third introduction in Spectre of the Past, while not quite as good as his second introduction, definately built up on what KJA had started in Darksaber. There definately was a nice, progressive character development from cautious captian in TTT, to analytical and curious vice admiral in Darksaber, to wizened leader and intelligent Admiral in HoT.

17. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    I liked Piggy's intro. It fit so well with the Kettch joke.

18. SuperVader

SuperVader Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 23, 2002
    Corran's was good...The your good but you're no Luke Skywalker will stay with me forever

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.