Saga Memory - Jedi Purge Challenge Response

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Nightsister, Aug 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Nightsister Jedi Knight

star 1
    Memory

And so, like everything else, it ends.

There was little surprise, for that is the way of the universe and the cycles that govern life. Rather, the way it ends draws pause.

For a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace, the protectors of the Old Republic. A thousand generations. To the small of mind, that would seem like forever, when only a small drop in the ocean of the galaxy?s history.

Still, the Order served. Confident in its place until one day, it just ended.

No, not a day. Three years of war and strife had dwindled the Jedi?s numbers. Soldiers, they were not. Still, they served, commanding armies of Clonetroopers, fighting against those who would tear the Republic apart.

It was the Separatist?s fault.

But was it really?

Certainly there had been dissention in the ranks before. It was the not the first time that worlds unhappy with the governance tried to break away. Often succeeding. But the scale of worlds falling under the spell of Count Dooku of Serenno was staggering.

It seemed that he had more than an enigmatic presence and rightly spoken words to cajole systems into joining his cause.
    Dark magicks.

But they are not spoken of. Not here. Not in the sacred places.

Three years, compared to generations upon generations was little more than the batting of an eye. A breath in the night, gone almost as soon as it existed.

But Jedi, made of sterner stuff survived, their light would go on in the galaxy, had not their armies revolted and slaughtered them.

Had not their own betrayed them.

And the memory of all that had been before could was watch, silently, as the tides turned, drawn toward the darkness that spread its cold tendrils across the once mighty Republic, replacing it with fear and martial law.

Terror.

Silence.

The Force grew still.

But it did not forget.

~

A child of its creation?one of its faithful students?found shelter in its energies. Comfort that he was not abandoned in spirit?but only in body?as his strength faded. In his arms, he sheltered a most precious package.

Wisps of gray frosted dark brown locks as they drifted across his vision, yet he did not have the strength to push the hair back. He knew, against all hope that he must preserve it for running, for holding the tiny youngling. A bright star of hope?the future. Worn boots carried him through the damp streets of the city, through grimy back alleys and over broken paths.

Still they pursued him as they had through the Mid Rim worlds.

If only he could escape beyond their reach, to the Outer Rim. They would be safe there. A hope that so many had possessed before being cut down in a rain of blaster fire.

The last to fall, a dear friend, who had gave his life, so that they may escape more than just the Temple fall.

Fall, no.

The Jedi Temple, that had stood so bright and dominating of the Coruscant skyline had been ripped from the clouds and crushed into rubble by the machines that had been created to protect the Republic from its seceding children.

The images still haunted him, forever imprinted on the mind?s eye. Had he only not looked back at the clouds of destruction, if only he had closed his eyes?no, it would have changed nothing.

But so like the others, all he could do was stand there in stark silence and watch helplessly as his world came tumbling down as the Force cried out in agony before being silenced.

Though it no longer mattered; there was nothing but the running left and even that had come to its end.

Time had run out.

~

The knight found himself far from shelter on a wide street. Walled in by broken shanties of the poor and downtrodden that littered the port and his escaped routes cut off by soldiers in white armor.

Former allies.

Instinctively, he rested the weight of the youngling, who held desperately to him, on one arm as his other hand sought the comfort of his lightsaber at his hip. The clatter of blaster rifles readying made him pause.

2. VadersMistress Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Sad, sad, sad.

And it is, where memory lingers of all that had ever been, fingers?mere dreams of former flesh?reached out to guide the lost lights into a warm embrace.

This was heartbreaking. It was a beautiful piece but heartbreaking. You did a fabulous job.
  3. Enji Force Ghost

star 6
    That was wonderfully written! Poetic, beautiful, and very sad... I loved it. *wipes a tears from her eye*

The ending was so powerful, especially the bit with the child being robbed of her braid... :_|
  4. dianethx Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Very poetic and lyrical. It's so sad, though. Lovely.
  5. Nightsister Jedi Knight

star 1
    VadersMistress Thank you so much!

Enji I am glad you enjoyed it. I didn?t know if it worked on not.

Dianethx Thanks!
  6. VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus

star 8
    This whole vignette was so incredibly moving. WOW! Wonderful, wonderful work. I salute you!

A child of its creation?one of its faithful students?found shelter in its energies. Comfort that he was not abandoned in spirit?but only in body?as his strength faded. In his arms, he sheltered a most precious package.

Wisps of gray frosted dark brown locks as they drifted across his vision, yet he did not have the strength to push the hair back. He knew, against all hope that he must preserve it for running, for holding the tiny youngling. A bright star of hope?the future. Worn boots carried him through the damp streets of the city, through grimy back alleys and over broken paths.

Wonderful descriptions and use of language throughout. I simply loved it.
  7. Jedikma Force Ghost

star 4
    Beautiful, but very sad. :(

That you depicted a child in this story is always the horrible reminder of how often it is that the innocents die in war and strife.

8. Shaindl Force Ghost

star 4
    Very sad, but nicely written. The deaths of the children are what always get me too.

Shaindl
  9. JediNemesis Jedi Master

star 4
    :_|

Beautifully written, but so, so sad. Very well done.

Nem :)

EDIT: spelling [face_frustrated]
  10. Nightsister Jedi Knight

star 1
    VaderLVR64 Thanks! I am glad you liked it. It was a bit of an esxperiment for me to write like that

Jedikma Thank you. You can't help but to write a sad story when it comes to the Purges.

Shaindl It is sometimes easy to forget that it wasn't just the adult knights and masters that were hunted down.

JediNemisis Thank you so much.
  11. Flashbacca Jedi Master

star 4
    WoW! Nightsister that was ...... was...

well, indescribable!

At first I thought it was Obi and maybe Little Luke, but then you said "she" so I figured it was Leia, then I realized that it was just one nameless knight. This was wonderfully realized and detailed the horror of war very realistically.

Bravo!
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.