main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD Men these days

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by kahli, Jun 16, 2005.

?

Men these days

Poll closed Jun 25, 2005.
  1. metrosexuals

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. hermaphrodudes

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. mirls

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  4. I think they've all been watching too much velvet goldmine

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. It's all hype - you can still find a real man in the 'burbs

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lozza

Lozza Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 8, 2005
    Your post seems to suggest that they are two seperate entities, which is what I disagree with. I don't think that it is possible to seperate them. IMHO the only way to get an objective opinion about the physical attractions of a person, while you are dating them, is to ask someone else. And anyone else finds different things attractive.

2. Grieyls

Grieyls Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 2, 2000
    Two seperate entities? Perhaps my grasp of the English language is not as good as I like to think. However I'm not saying they are seperate, only two halves of the one whole as it were.

3. Lozza

Feb 8, 2005
    Which is effectively what I said in my earlier post.
    I would like to know, however, how you would consider yourself to be someone who values both equally. IMHO that isn't possible. In my experience dating someone who, while not dating, I would consider to be physically attractive is rather rare. But then maybe I'm just fussy.

4. Nyder

Nyder Jedi Master star 4

Jun 27, 2002
    It's not looks, it's your attitude that counts.

5. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    I don't know how you can hit the nail on the head so precisely and STILL think you're lacking in some way.

6. EnempE

EnempE Jedi Youngling star 3

May 22, 2005
    Well said.

This is lifes funniest game. It is a combination of so many things, have you considered that the person just happened to present you with what you required at that time, be it a companion, guidance, someone to look after, reflected self esteem ?

I like how honest you all appear here, kudos for opening up and letting it rip. We all become wiser form this.

7. setra

setra Jedi Youngling star 2

May 12, 2005
    *puts down soapbox and gets on* people should never marry out of fear of being alone nor should they settle for second best... if you don't think that this person is competely right for you and you could happily spend the rest of your life with them, then what are you doing???

as yoda said (I've changed it a bit) do or do not... there is no maybe *hops off soapbox*

but as for dating.... sure, maybes, possibly and all that is fine :)

8. HappyBob

HappyBob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    Here's the thing: in dating somebody, you tend to know her/his physical attributes that you notice the subtleties much more. It's easier to appreciate the little things. (The eyes, for instance.)

Furthermore, being in a romantic relationship means the sight of the other person alone should be enough to bring some level of happiness. This emotional reaction is often mixed with that of physical appearance, and so it is impossible to see attractiveness in the same way when love is involved.

I don't really think the following phrase does this sensation justice, and in fact it's almost derogatory... but as they say: "love is blind".

9. JEDIPAULAW

JEDIPAULAW Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    If someone makes you happy then that is all that counts-:).

Not withstanding that previous comment, I'd have to assert that I think that *good couples* COME from a match of intellect, personal values etc, and obviously there is an element of physical congruency in the mix :p, ie I'm not a big guy and thus I'd kinda feel awkward dating a really tall girl :p

Personally, I prefer *emotional* and intellectual any day over the physical-hey the physical soon dissipates with age :p.

Personally, once again I'll state that intellectual and emotional compatibility are what I look for in potential relationships :p. My best ever girlfriend was thus a genius -;)(Infer from that what you may :p).

{I really should refrain from posting}

10. Nyder

Nyder Jedi Master star 4

Jun 27, 2002
    I found a very informative website about how to pick up girls for frustrated loners like myself. I know that at least a few guys on this site may be interested (I won't name names :p ). I can't post the link for fear of banning by the mods, so if you want it, PM me. :)

11. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    Textbooks can teach you some stuff...but on-the-job is where you actually learn.

12. EnempE

May 22, 2005
    For a start you don't pick girls up.

You meet them and they choose to spend more time with you. The activity is from them.

13. Lozza

Feb 8, 2005
    I agree with the above statement. Us ladies seem to do all the work these days. I don't know whether that is a good thing or not... *shrug* But I suppose it does get rid of the difficult situation of having to turn a guy down.

14. JEDIPAULAW

JEDIPAULAW Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    I turn men down all the time -;)

15. Lozza

Feb 8, 2005
    Oh turning guys you just met at the bar down is just fine. What I hate is doing it to friends or friends of friends. It always makes me feel bad and makes it somewhat uncomfortable the next time you go out with them.

16. Miss_Aayla_Secura

Miss_Aayla_Secura Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 8, 2005
    Hint ... men should NOT wear pink. Metrosexual or no, I'm still going to assume that you don't like girls :)

17. jediguy

jediguy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2000
    What about two pink shirts?

18. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    please don't make me answer that.

19. Nyder

Nyder Jedi Master star 4

Jun 27, 2002
    A true man can withstand his primitive instincts and strive to become a 'better' human - more in league with the intellectual side of things. I do not believe in reproducing oneself, or the personal prisons of 'relationships' and 'marriage'. I believe the 'chasing' of women is a pointless rat race that in the end achieves nothing but a loss of self-respect, freedom and dignity.

But there is the need for love and affection - something which can become particularly painful. You must have extreme mental control and endurance to be able to overcome it.

I think I have attained a mental state that sets me above probably about 99% of the population. [face_devil]

I will live forever whilst the rest of you chumps can go about trying to 'please' women in what will ultimately prove futile!

Hee hee hee... Don't you just love it. :D

20. EnempE

May 22, 2005
    They can please you too.

Some people love giving just to see someone they love happy.

Hiding in yourself, however stoic you feel is not going to make you any better than anyone else.

Humans are rational and irrational, thats what makes them fun.

You should experiment with risk.

We all all know it hurts when it falls over, but memories are forever.

btw, I am in the same boat as you at the moment, avoiding the complications of relationships and not wanting to damage friendships. Its safe but not really the best way to live, its cool being all zen and tao about it but please be carefull not to push away potential interdependance.

No one should die alone, Apart from kahli who wants to (Edit).

21. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    Everybody dies alone.

22. EnempE

May 22, 2005
    From a certain point of view.

Its how you feel that is important, if you feel alone then you are.

23. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    ^ has obviously not seen donnie darko :rolleyes:

24. Nyder

Nyder Jedi Master star 4

Jun 27, 2002
    Geez, you must be obsessed with that movie. :p

25. EnempE

May 22, 2005
    I have too seen it, but that was a few years ago and I dont have the script with me.

I do however have the soundtrack with me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.