Saga Mending--An Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon mid-TPM vignette--Vignette 43

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by DarthIshtar, May 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    Note: This is for my good friend and fellow crazy person, Awel, who turns 20 today. She asserted that she would never argue with the phrase "Obi-Wan shirtless," so here we go.
    The footsteps that approached were heavy, but always familiar, since Obi-Wan had kept pace with his Master for nearly half of his life. Qui-Gon was moving efficiently and if he were a different sort of man, it might have been said that he was bustling around.

Instead, he was going serenely and purposefully about his business, but he was breaking Obi-Wan's concentration. At least, that was what the others would see. The reason for Obi-Wan's inability to concentrate was the slight agitation that Qui-Gon was keeping beneath the surface of his consciousness but not quashing.

Qui-Gon was going serenely and purposefull about his business because otherwise he would get fussy and that was one thing that Qui-Gon would not stand for.

"Do you need something, Master?" Obi-Wan asked, permitting himself a slight smile.

"I will require your clothes," Qui-Gon said with his customary frankness.

Rather surprised, Obi-Wan opened his eyes slowly to find Qui-Gon wearing clothes that had been apparently lent by a well-meaning but smaller guard and carrying what seemed to be a laundry hamper.

"Ah," he sighed. "You might have said why."

Qui-Gon allowed a smile of his own, then set the hamper down. "We haven't had much downtime since we entered the system," he explained, "and the Queen suggested that we take advantage of the facilities during the journey."

Obi-Wan nodded gratefully. "Do they have anything I can wear for the time being?"

The smile broadened. "Well," Qui-Gon said with a note of teasing in his voice, "the handmaidens have suggested that they could let you raid their storage cubicles."

He communicated that he did not find this amusing in the slightest with one of his rare scowls.

"I have, however, received an offer from the pilot to let you borrow a pair of his pants and a tunic," Qui-Gon continued. "If you're tempted, I can acquire those items."

"Yes," Obi-Wan responded, "please."

"I'll get these started in the cleanser if you wish to use the shower," Qui-Gon offered.

"As long as I don't have to fold," Obi-Wan countered.

"No," Qui-Gon agreed. "You'll be assigned to asking one of the e's to find us some dinner."

"The e's?" Obi-Wan asked, confused.

"Padme, Rabe, Sabe, Somethinge," Qui-Gon explained. "They seemed quite taken with you."

"Oh," Obi-Wan said dryly, "is that why half of them won't stop giggling and the other half try to banter me to death?"

Qui-Gon was starting to smirk as if Obi-Wan had been finally initiated into a cult of which he was the grand master.

"They're trying to put you at ease," he suggested. "I would recommend making an effort with them. After all, they've been very gracious hosts."

Obi-Wan said nothing in response to that, only hid himself in the 'fresher and peeled off the clothes that never seemed to have dried off after that sojourn through the swamps. He turned on the shower, then passed the clothes out to Qui-Gon.

It was an immense relief to scrub down, since the combination of swamps and battle-adrenaline had done nothing productive for his cleanliness and within five minutes, Qui-Gon had returned with the clothes.

"You can change in our quarters," Qui-Gon called. "We need to discuss what will happen when we get to Tatooine."

Obi-Wan wrapped a towel around his waist and opened the door, fervently hoping that none of the well-meaning women of the Queen's court would happen to pass by on a midnight stroll. Fortunately, they reached their quarters in safety and Qui-Gon settled himself on the other side of the privacy screen.

"I've been doing some research on the regions that we'll be visiting," Obi-Wan called, pulling on the undergarments provided. "I think that our best destination would be Mos Espa. It is one of the larger settlements, but does not have the same criminal fixation that you find in Mos Eisley."

"I thought
  2. delta-7starfighter Force Ghost

star 4
    "The e's?" Obi-Wan asked, confused.
    "Padme, Rabe, Sabe, Somethinge," Qui-Gon explained. "They seemed quite taken with you."

[face_laugh]

"You can't say it's too dangerous," Obi-Wan bit out, "so why will I be staying with the ship?"
    In the old days, Qui-Gon might have left it at 'because I said so,' as any good parent would. Over the last few years, however, he had respected Obi-Wan's need to understand the circumstances of treacherous situations.
    "Several reasons," he explained calmly, looking Obi-Wan in the eye. "First of all, there are few things as conspicuous as a pair of Jedi in a disreputable part of town."

I like how Qui-Gon now respects Obi-wan enough to give him a more in depth view of the situation rather then to give him a plain answer.

Good Job![face_peace]
  3. Valairy Scot Chosen One

star 5
    Oh, very nice indeed.

The e's?" Obi-Wan asked, confused.

"Oh," Obi-Wan said dryly, "is that why half of them won't stop giggling and the other half try to banter me to death?"

Qui-Gon was starting to smirk as if Obi-Wan had been finally initiated into a cult of which he was the grand master

Nice!!

I thought you rather liked Mos Eisley," Qui-Gon ribbed him.

"I don't like wretched hives of scum and villainy," Obi-Wan countered quickly and rather acerbically, "even on a good day."

He could imagine that Qui-Gon was smirking again, since their only visit to Tatooine had been an unparalleled disaster that landed them both in the nearest medcenter and nearly succeeded in placing Obi-Wan in slavery.

Now that's a story I'd like to read!

Very enjoyable, as with all your stuff.
  4. Noelie Jedi Master

star 4
    The "e's" is such a cute reference. Also cute thinking of them actually acting like girls their age than the ultra mature handmaidens we always see

I really want to know about this "grand master" status.

Men being men, the only fear they would really have would be one of the girls catching sight of them, they really are more relaxed with each other (it's that four sons thing and how often I was forgotten to be a real person so i would have to remind them I still counted as "one of them, those others"), the towel works, and stays totally in character :)

Great job!
  5. RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost

star 7
    That was nice, Ish. Loved the 'Es' too. Obi-Wan was almost sold into slavery? Is this canon?

So that's where he got 'wretched hive' from!
  6. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    delta-7starfighter--LOL, glad this provided amusement. Yes, Qui-Gon does definitely respect Obi-Wan in this time frame enough to let him know all the essentials and then some. Thanks!

Valairy_Scot--Thanks, Valairy. Glad you liked the grandmaster comment. I may write that story eventually.

Noelie--LOL, yes, but you know about it--the Ovorp sisters, all the blondes... I like the handmaidens acting like real teenagers in that context. Yes, they would be scared of them being caught. Of course, we could have a continuation in the fangirltasy about Qui-Gon losing his towel. Thanks!

RK_Striker_JK_5--Thanks, Striker. It's not canon. I'm just filling in blanks. Yes, that is where the wretched hive came from.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.